Battery replacement

General topics about the Archos G9 series if those topics don't fit in a specific model category below. Also discuss your ideas, suggestions, hopes, wishes, rumors, informations in here.
mjolnir13
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Battery replacement

Post by mjolnir13 »

My Archos G9 has actually worked perfectly since I purchased it in 2012 (I must be the only one). However, recently, my hard drive decided it was done. I contacted Archos and they informed me that they will no longer do out of warranty repairs even if paid. So now I am stuck.

I ran across this site (http://archosrepairs.com/) recently and wrote them twice asking for a quote. They have never responded.

Does anyone know where I might get the hard drive replaced? I would hate to have to toss the unit.

THanks. :D
Agj_h
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Battery replacement

Post by Agj_h »

You're not the only one. I also purchased mine in 2012 and still gets extensive daily use.....

I previously had hard drive replacements done (for archos 5) by a mob in the US called Archosharddrives.com but appears they are no longer around unfortunately. If the unit is dead anyway, why not have a crack at replacing it yourself - should be some info here in the forums (mine is flash drive based so can't assist here).
Andrew
500gb a5a
G9 80 16gb 4.0.28
mjolnir13
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mjolnir13 »

Well, it's not exactly dead....i have been able to reformat totally and reload Android. It will let me do small things like add ebooks and ebook reader runs fine. However, whenever I try to add video or music files....it will eventually freeze up and it definitely won't let me play them. that's why I think it's the battery (I could be wrong).

Thanks for the suggestion.....self replacement was my last gasp hope.....I was hoping against hope there might be a miracle out there.
Agj_h
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Agj_h »

mjolnir13 wrote:Well, it's not exactly dead....i have been able to reformat totally and reload Android. It will let me do small things like add ebooks and ebook reader runs fine. However, whenever I try to add video or music files....it will eventually freeze up and it definitely won't let me play them. that's why I think it's the battery (I could be wrong).

Thanks for the suggestion.....self replacement was my last gasp hope.....I was hoping against hope there might be a miracle out there.

Well now I'm confused. Your thread title says battery but your 1st post talked about hard drive failure then your second post talks about battery replacement? Which is it?
Andrew
500gb a5a
G9 80 16gb 4.0.28
mjolnir13
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mjolnir13 »

It's both. WHen I spoke with Archos Tech support they told me the problems were caused by faulty hard drive.
tinytimbo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by tinytimbo »

Could you claim it got broken by accident and claim for a replacement unit on your home contents insurance?
mjolnir13
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mjolnir13 »

I don't have that insurance...and I suspect they don't even have any "replacement" units left....which is probably why they stopped servicing them.

I attempted to contact them again on it and also tried an archos repair service....neither responded so I dumped all three of my archos products (also had IMT and Archos 70 -- both of which still worked perfectly).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Return to “General G9 discussions”