openPMA-NG ! We are not dead...

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
bubu
Archos User
Archos User

Post by bubu »

suraj wrote:
nz wrote:
Raiden wrote:<3 you bubu. Just imagine the possibilities!

I believe it's time to relieve the archos devs of their duty. ;)
I applied for my retirement today :-)
well every staff should do that. so that the job will be given to some techies here at archos forum and i am sure archos will have a much better future then.
eh be cool with Archos devs... there are already doing great job... but they can't always do what they want... :(

and we don't expect to replace them... Prefer my job for timebeing also :)
openPMA Team
suraj
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by suraj »

bubu wrote:
suraj wrote:
nz wrote: I applied for my retirement today :-)
well every staff should do that. so that the job will be given to some techies here at archos forum and i am sure archos will have a much better future then.
eh be cool with Archos devs... there are already doing great job... but they can't always do what they want... :(

and we don't expect to replace them... Prefer my job for time being also :)
oh i was not really serious. and of course i love archos for what it is now. but want to get a little more as it is capable of.and archos too have to think about it.
DRINU
Archos User
Archos User

Post by DRINU »

hey bubu. Is it possible to make OpenPMA in a flash format like the windows psp hack? This will be gr8 for archos 604 and 605 users who hav installed a firmware version that doesn't support the gft exploit.
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

DRINU wrote:Is it possible to make OpenPMA in a flash format like the windows psp hack?
No.
openAOS
Raiden
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Raiden »

DRINU wrote:hey bubu. Is it possible to make OpenPMA in a flash format like the windows psp hack? This will be gr8 for archos 604 and 605 users who hav installed a firmware version that doesn't support the gft exploit.

that would mean ot would run slower. gosh noobies... a firmware has to have complete control over the hardware otberwise it cant get the job done
guoruiwu1994
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by guoruiwu1994 »

grond wrote:
pt1989 wrote:btw does it mean that thro PdaXrom we can run any KDE, Qt, Gtk, xfce app.. pretty cool then...
Not the binaries as they are compiled for a different processor but many normal linux programs can be adapted to run on pdaXrom. Of course, it isn't very handy to type large documents using the virtual keyboard and stuff like that. Also Archos controls most of the hardware through avos such that it will be difficult or impossible to control e.g. network connections in pdaXrom. We will have to see.

also so Flash9 would probably be like a Firefox plugin?
gnash.

does it mean that pdaXrom will allow us to use internet from the computer wo which archos is connected (TCP/IP over USB)
This would require somebody at archos to add a signed module to the kernel... :/

if only archos included some sorta voice recording mechanism we might have even had VoIP
Without microphone? :)
I guess they will reintroduce that for gen6 as I think VoIP is a must-have for gen6 (surely via a plugin).

is this the sashz u are thanking?
Probably... :)

But keep cool, the 605 continues to be a 250 MHz ARM with 128 MB of RAM. This is not a sub-notebook with an x86 in the GHz range with 1 or 2G of RAM...
i thought the archos 605 has a 600MHz CPU
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

guoruiwu1994 wrote:i thought the archos 605 has a 600MHz CPU
AFAIK it has an ARM9 core that can run up to 300 MHz and a c54x (or other DSP from that family) running at twice that frequency. However, the DSP is a speciallised chip for the multimedia stuff and therefore doesn't count with regard to normal system operation.
openAOS
pyro139
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by pyro139 »

wow, i dont check forums in a good while and look what i find :badgrin:
last time i was here there was no hack at all now we waiting on a new version :roll:

question what about external hardware support, ie the archos helmet cam?
and is it true need be near my wifi hub to boot these hacks on my 604?
and is this a one time thing or do i have be near wifi every time i boot?
pt1989
Archos User
Archos User

Post by pt1989 »

as of now it seems that u need to have wifi access... but maybe fiat has something in for us... he said he found some bugs... maybe alternative ways to execute code will be found by him... hopefully not requiring WiFi access... !
WantToGloom
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by WantToGloom »

can I ask is this still only going to work with the 1.7xxx firmware or will there be a hack for the newer firmware, do you think? I'm tempted to go to the newest 2.0.10, but if that completely kills any hope of this, then I'll definitely hold off (I'm more than happy with what I've got now, so...). it's just that Fiat said that when he went back to check, there were still a few other exploits that were still working... therefore is there a chance I can upgrade with the knowledge when you release this, it'll work on the newest firmware.

if it's in any way in doubt, please say and I'll be part of any sort of testing that may need to be done.

and in case the theme of this post isn't clear enough, you guys are absolutely frickin' awesome!
thethirdmoose
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by thethirdmoose »

If I were you, I would not upgrade. There isn't really anything that impressive in the updates, and we might not get an exploit for newer firmwares.
WantToGloom
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by WantToGloom »

thethirdmoose wrote:If I were you, I would not upgrade. There isn't really anything that impressive in the updates, and we might not get an exploit for newer firmwares.
I was thinking about the whole GPS' thing... mainly due to the fact that it'll finally be a proper in-car holder, with a charger (something I've been waiting on since I bought the fecking thing!). I wouldn't mind trying out the GPS as well as the Flash 9.

the reason I ask is that it has been quite a while since the last coolness and I'm an incredibly impatient person and fiat said that his other exploits still work, but he hasn't packaged them up yet...
fischju
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by fischju »

I updated the day before this thread because I thought this project was dead :(
Please help me fiat!
WantToGloom
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by WantToGloom »

I was just about to... I probably would have done had it downloaded onto my Archos quicker. while it was downloading directly, I decided to pop in here, saw all the posts and canceled the download.
Marc453
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Marc453 »

The upgrade is a joke. It doesn't work and causes unecessary problems and freezes the unit. I've been in contact with Archos and even after reformatting the disk (their suggestion) it still freezes. I'm giving them one more chance to fix this and then I'm taking it back and getting an HP Mininote.
CC
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by CC »

Really glad I didn't upgrade!
fiat
Archos User
Archos User

Post by fiat »

zzzzzzZzzzzz

until you guys actually post something real I'm calling fake.
arcwelder
Gomez
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Gomez »

fiat wrote:zzzzzzZzzzzz

=;
da_pmp
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by da_pmp »

I don't know fiat... bubu is very reliable and has produced in the past. Also the timeline is "weeks" and not "months" so I'm looking forward to testing this soon.

And with your possible hacks for the new firmware, the combo could make everyone very happy!

A very very positive development in my books.

cheers.
daithi81
Archos User
Archos User

Post by daithi81 »

da_pmp wrote:

I don't know fiat... bubu is very reliable and has produced in the past. Also the timeline is "weeks" and not "months" so I'm looking forward to testing this soon.

And with your possible hacks for the new firmware, the combo could make everyone very happy!

A very very positive development in my books.

cheers.
yay!

:D

Return to “Open Development”