How good SDHC

Below $100
BUC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

How good SDHC

Post by BUC »

How good is the integration between the SD slot and the device...

Can you find your songs by ID3tag or its just a host browser?

Im Relying on that before recommend it to a friend
AV580 abUser
Paul
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: How good SDHC

Post by Paul »

BUC wrote:How good is the integration between the SD slot and the device...

Can you find your songs by ID3tag or its just a host browser?

Im Relying on that before recommend it to a friend

I like the 405. It takes the higher capacity SDHC cards - I use a 4GB class 6 card in it and have had no problems. It sits nicely in the hand or a shirt pocket. The interface is pretty much identical to the 605, so you can search songs by album, artist, or whatever.

It's easy to navigate using the buttons - if you're used to using a 605 then you might find yourself getting confused over which one you're using, and start touching the screen, but other than that I can't really fault it. It doesn't have Wi-Fi of course, so you can't use it to browse the internet or stream files from a computer, but it records stuff the same as the 605 using the same docking station & remote. I like the screen too.

It might not suit everyone, but if you're on a budget and aren't worried about Wi-Fi then I'd highly recommend it, particularly as the cost of SDHC cards will come down (and capacity will go up).

One tip - ditch the supplied earphones and buy a pair of (not too expensive) Sennheiser CX300's. The sound from the 405 (and the 105 & 605) is superb through these - just make sure you buy genuine ones from someone like Amazon or a proper retail outlet, as there are apparently a lot of fake ones about, particularly on e-bay, and these are supposed to sound terrible.
1/4/605
BUC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by BUC »

I understand all that.... but my question is, if the integration between the SDHC slot and the player let you browse your songs that are in the sd card by, let's say, artist, album, tile...... If so thats a great thing, because the new creative Zen doesnt allow that, it just let you browse the songs separately from the ones in the built in memory....

so:... Can you browse all of the songs from the 405 (from built-in memory or sdhc slot) by tags.... or not?

Thanx for the reply
AV580 abUser
Paul
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Paul »

BUC wrote:I understand all that.... but my question is, if the integration between the SDHC slot and the player let you browse your songs that are in the sd card by, let's say, artist, album, tile...... If so thats a great thing, because the new creative Zen doesnt allow that, it just let you browse the songs separately from the ones in the built in memory....

so:... Can you browse all of the songs from the 405 (from built-in memory or sdhc slot) by tags.... or not?

Thanx for the reply

I haven't got it with me right now, so I can't check, but I think the answer is yes. The SD card shows up when you click on the music icon then you can just browse by artist, album etc. in the usual way. I just happen to have downloaded the new manual for it, which says...

If you have inserted a memory card into the ARCHOS (see: Memory Card Slot to learn how to insert/remove a memory card), select the line “SD/MMC card”, in the initial Music Library view.

You can now browse the contents of your card and play your songs (if your card contains any). In Music mode, only music files, playlists and folders will appear.

When you insert a memory card, its contents (songs and playlists) are automatically integrated into the Music library.

I hope this answers your query. Unfortunately I'm holed up with a heavy cold and my 405 isn't here. Be better if someone else could wade in with a definite yes or no about now.
1/4/605
Paul
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

BUC - 100% certain it does what you want it to...

Post by Paul »

I put a lot of songs on an SDHC card then put it in the 405.

I then updated the library manually in Menu...Settings... System, but I had to switch it from Windows Media Mode to Hard Drive Mode first in order to be able to do that.

But it worked fine, no problem. When I went back in via the music icon all the album names, artists and titles were there, along with those already on the 405's internal memory, for me to pick and choose as normal.
1/4/605
BUC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by BUC »

Thanx for filling up the answer.... That its just what i needed to know...
AV580 abUser

Return to “405”