Windows Compact 7

Open Development of Android, dual-booting other Linux OS and other hacks
ETJ
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Windows Compact 7

Post by ETJ »

I was wondering the same thing as it would be pretty good to dual boot Android and Windows Compact 7, hopefully someone will know :)
mr-mac
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by mr-mac »

ETJ wrote:I was wondering the same thing as it would be pretty good to dual boot Android and Windows Compact 7, hopefully someone will know :)

Err x86 I think. Compact is just win7 for rom based devices as opposed to installing on hdd.

Don't think Ms will support arm cpu's till windows 8.
MarcusMarcus
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by MarcusMarcus »

mr-mac wrote:
ETJ wrote:I was wondering the same thing as it would be pretty good to dual boot Android and Windows Compact 7, hopefully someone will know :)

Err x86 I think. Compact is just win7 for rom based devices as opposed to installing on hdd.

Don't think Ms will support arm cpu's till windows 8.

Windows Embedded Compact 7 does support ARM CPUs. The following is directly from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/evaluate/windows-embedded-compact-7.aspx
Windows Embedded Compact 7 Overview
Small Footprint minimum 500KB, 700 Components
Processors ARM, MIPS, x86
Real-time OS: SMP 32-bit native unified kernel real-time Operating SystemNew symmetrical multiprocessing support
Run Win32 Apps: Customized Win 32 Applications
Archos 70S
Samsung GalaxyS WiFi 5.0
mr-mac
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by mr-mac »

Ah yeah the name for windows ce now.

Not full fat windows.

Would like ce on it myself.
gottahavit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gottahavit »

The real issue with this is that you'll never get any reasonable video acceleration.
I'd love to get this on my Archie too.
gottahavit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gottahavit »

SO i downloaded ce 7 yesterdad and started playing with it. I also just installed the SDE and uruk on my a101.
I think the real issue here is getting the SDE to boot the NK.bin from the ce7 build. If anyone has any ideas on this let me know as I am interested in trying to get something working here.
ETJ
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ETJ »

Has anyone managed to get anything working yet regarding this, I'm bit of a novice really and don't know any coding but I might learn some and see if I can do anything :)
ETJ
techguy71
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by techguy71 »

I'm sorry for posting so late, but he Zune HD has an arm processor (tegra apx 2600) and is based off of windows ce 6. If I were to upload the boot file, would this help?
taylorabc
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by taylorabc »

techguy71 wrote:I'm sorry for posting so late, but he Zune HD has an arm processor (tegra apx 2600) and is based off of windows ce 6. If I were to upload the boot file, would this help?
Good idea - I run Liberate on my Zune HD, which allows access to the WinCE desktop. Would be cool to have on a 101.
futahorse
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by futahorse »

I'm not very experienced in the realm of mobile linux but am when it comes to standard intel-based hardware. I don't fully understand the booting procedure of tablets but if the bin is an issue then can't you just load it from the AOS boot-loader or something similar?

Return to “Gen8 Hacking and Open Development”