Firmware 3.2.46 released - report bugs here

General topics about the Archos G9 series if those topics don't fit in a specific model category below. Also discuss your ideas, suggestions, hopes, wishes, rumors, informations in here.
zandoli
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 847
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:01 am
Location: Saint Lucia, Caribbean GMT -4

Firmware 3.2.46 released - report bugs here

Post by zandoli »

Version 3.2.46 - October 3rd, 2011

-Google applications: Google talk is now part of the firmware
-Audio/applications: improved volume control (better volume range, less glitches on notifications) leading to faster gaming experience on some 3rd party applications
-Wi-Fi: fix low throughput on some access points when using WPA2/AES encryption
-Camera: improve camera quality in high and low light condition
-Flash: added acceleration support
-Archos applications: many enhancements and fixes on Videoplayer, MediaCenter and Mediascrapper
-Media center: new elastic and overshoot effect on cover roll edges
-File Browser: better action support on multiple selections
-Media Scrapper: better handling and cleaning of data base in case of file removal
-Photo Frame: Floating Image 3.1.9 is integrated with fixed Picasa support, better background rendering and better memory management
-Music player: better protection of music player to avoid to get it killed under low memory condition
-Display: better quality SD video upscaling (e.g. on 1080p display)
-Video: improve SMI subtitle support
-Internationalization: Arabic and Hebrew translations have been integrated and a new specific "Archos keyboard" application has been included for supporting Hebrew and Arabic
-Network shares: shortcuts can be created by long press on a remote video folder in Archos media center
-Network shares: more robust streaming in case of IP renewal
-Memory: smaller memory footprint
-3G key: updated APN list
-Power off: make sure to clear all alarms when powering off
-Hard drive based unit: enhanced power management
-Security: apply security fixes from google about DigiNotar CA certificate
8+32GB A101S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES1.1
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 1387
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: Firmware 3.2.46 released - report bugs here

Post by butterflygirl »

1. 3g port no longer supports hard drives.
2. "Folder" play mode only works for internal storage. Does no work on sd card or external usb. Only tested for video.
3. Volume randomly increases/decreases. Only tested for video.
4. Sound cuts in and out when using bluetooth headphones. (Possibly only my headphones, but they work on Gen8)
crazl0ss
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:43 am

Re: Firmware 3.2.46 released - report bugs here

Post by crazl0ss »

- Still very hot when use wifi, super hot when use wifi and charge
- Charged full 70it and 8o, use web, video, game, ebook... then press power to sleep same time... wake up today morning = 70it 45% battery ------ 8o 14% battery => die soon !
tarcus
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: Firmware 3.2.46 released - report bugs here

Post by tarcus »

Non square pixel video files play back with the wrong aspect ratio, they work fine in MX Player on android, and VLC or MPlayer on Linux. This also didn't work prior to the update. Most of my DVD rips fall into this category.

The encryption option has vanished from the storage menu, it was there before the firmware update. A questionon this matter to tech support was answered very poorly.

As others mention, no HDD mounting via rear USB port.

Frequent random reboots.

Battery went from 64% to 13% suddenly, a reboot bought it back to 64%.

This morning the tablet was dead, holding power down didn't bring it back. When I plugged it into power and held the power switch down it powered up and the battery was at 100%.
Archos G9 8GB
tarcus
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: Firmware 3.2.46 released - report bugs here

Post by tarcus »

Tablet freezes requiring hard reset most frequently when using google maps.
Archos G9 8GB
tarcus
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: Firmware 3.2.46 released - report bugs here

Post by tarcus »

UK keyboard has no dollar symbol anywhere.
Archos G9 8GB
tarcus
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: Firmware 3.2.46 released - report bugs here

Post by tarcus »

Not 100% sure if this is a new firmware issue but gmail will no longer send attachments, so fr I have tried PDF files sent via the file app's share menu and sending direct from Gmail but while the attachment is shown in the composition dialogue, it is not attached when the email arrives.

Hmm, it seems it's fine with other attachments, jpg and mp3 at least.
Archos G9 8GB
crazl0ss
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:43 am

Re: Firmware 3.2.46 released - report bugs here

Post by crazl0ss »

tarcus wrote:Non square pixel video files play back with the wrong aspect ratio, they work fine in MX Player on android, and VLC or MPlayer on Linux. This also didn't work prior to the update. Most of my DVD rips fall into this category.

The encryption option has vanished from the storage menu, it was there before the firmware update. A questionon this matter to tech support was answered very poorly.

As others mention, no HDD mounting via rear USB port.

Frequent random reboots.

Battery went from 64% to 13% suddenly, a reboot bought it back to 64%.

This morning the tablet was dead, holding power down didn't bring it back. When I plugged it into power and held the power switch
down it powered up and the battery was at 100%.
+ Video player do good with me, all subtitle and videos file .mkv .avi .mp4 download from internet, maybe this's your fail when rip.
+ No random reboot with me.
- No HDD rear usb anymore
- Battery % jump like mad but useable time still normal, not bad but not good as 70it.
- Sometime it look like dead but no, press hold 10sec to full off then press to power on, then it on. I had never seen it show 100% till now, the highest was 98%.
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 1163
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:28 pm
Location: Abu Dhabi

Re: Firmware 3.2.46 released - report bugs here

Post by Farsquidge »

If you have to press the button for 10 seconds to bring it to life, then it is a serious problem as that is a reset...

It amazes me that after all the Archos generations, major firmware bugs at release and constant firmware breakages in updates still persist!
They STILL have an almost zero policy of in-house beta testing, relying on the public to do it for them.

Archos have gone from a company known for producing great niche A/V items to a point unbearable for diehard supporters...... #-o
605Wi, A5IMT, A5IT, A7o 8GB:2.4.82
rschlack
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:45 am

Re: Firmware 3.2.46 released - report bugs here

Post by rschlack »

I'm crashing all the time have to do hard resets at least 3 times a day. I also can't use the market anymore. Not sure if that is related. All my downloads fail.
Myth0S
Archos Expert
Archos Expert
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:36 am
Location: Greece

Re: Firmware 3.2.46 released - report bugs here

Post by Myth0S »

Farsquidge wrote:
It amazes me that after all the Archos generations, major firmware bugs at release and constant firmware breakages in updates still persist!
They STILL have an almost zero policy of in-house beta testing, relying on the public to do it for them.
Why dont archos built an core beta testers team? And add people that are known for they loyalty to archos such as Charbax , Kodiak etc.?
Or from their employees i dont care just i dont want every update to cut down features from a previous firmware
rschlack
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:45 am

Re: Firmware 3.2.46 released - report bugs here

Post by rschlack »

I found another thread explaining that I needed to download a new version of the market. Very sily that Archos put out firmware that breaks the store. Also, my firmware upgrade check no longer works. It just does nothing.
tarcus
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: Firmware 3.2.46 released - report bugs here

Post by tarcus »

The random reboots when playing video mostly happen when connecting or using the remote via my Nexus S, sometimes the crash happens when connecting, sometimes when the remote disconnects. I've also had a lot of crashes when playing back flash via HDMI, and sometimes when disconnecting HDMI and reconnecting, the display on the screen is inverted and no longer mirrors the tablet display. This requires a reboot to restart.

Basically when the archos works it's excellent but it does keep crashing and freezing when playing video particularly when trying to use streaming flash or when a remote is connecting, disconnecting or otherwise being used. It's not 100% consistent though, sometimes it works fine but it's split about 50-50 at the moment. So far, locally-stored video playback on the Archos itself has been mostly pain-free, it's only when I start adding in the HDMI and remote that the crashes get really bad, I've not tried using the remote when not using HDMI yet.
Archos G9 8GB
tarcus
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: Firmware 3.2.46 released - report bugs here

Post by tarcus »

crazl0ss wrote: + Video player do good with me, all subtitle and videos file .mkv .avi .mp4 download from internet, maybe this's your fail when rip.
+ No random reboot with me.
The aspect ratio issue has gone on some recent rips I did with a different encoder however there are still a large number of files I've ripped over the last few years which play back fine in every other player I've tried so far including mplayer, VLC, MX Video (on android), my old Hannspad with a copy of Android 3.0 shoehorned in, and the Boxee Box but have the wrong aspect ratio on the Archos so it's certainly doing something wrong which everything else I've tried is doing right.

Most of the random reboots I've had have been when using HDMI coupled with the remote control or flash player, I'm wondering if there's a mix of HDMI and network activity clashing somewhere. I don't recall any random reboots or freezes when playing video on the Archos's own screen so far. I'm keeping an eye on it as I've really only started using it more heavily recently since the Boxee Box got taken back to the shop as it was rubbish!
Archos G9 8GB
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 1387
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: Firmware 3.2.46 released - report bugs here

Post by butterflygirl »

tarcus wrote:The random reboots when playing video mostly happen when connecting or using the remote via my Nexus S, sometimes the crash happens when connecting, sometimes when the remote disconnects. I've also had a lot of crashes when playing back flash via HDMI, and sometimes when disconnecting HDMI and reconnecting, the display on the screen is inverted and no longer mirrors the tablet display. This requires a reboot to restart.

Basically when the archos works it's excellent but it does keep crashing and freezing when playing video particularly when trying to use streaming flash or when a remote is connecting, disconnecting or otherwise being used. It's not 100% consistent though, sometimes it works fine but it's split about 50-50 at the moment. So far, locally-stored video playback on the Archos itself has been mostly pain-free, it's only when I start adding in the HDMI and remote that the crashes get really bad, I've not tried using the remote when not using HDMI yet.
I have had a few issues of freezing when playing video. A reboot has not solved this, but resetting the media library has
msiviter
Archos User
Archos User
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:45 am

Re: Firmware 3.2.46 released - report bugs here

Post by msiviter »

1)haptic feedback dissapears
2)USB port on rear doesn't support flash drive
3)random reboots
Last edited by msiviter on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 1163
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:28 pm
Location: Abu Dhabi

Re: Firmware 3.2.46 released - report bugs here

Post by Farsquidge »

butterflygirl wrote:1. 3g port no longer supports hard drives.
Funnily enough, I expected this from Archos....

I think the initial HDD support from this port was yet another (unplanned) bug but a positive one for users and one that caused serious bowel movements in the Archos sales dept. :lol:

I mean, it would mean the sales of any units above 8 GB would be severely curtailed if you could just plug in a USB stick to achieve a larger storage.

What a Gaff!! :roll:

So they have probably deliberately killed it. Only way to tell for sure is if its fixed in a later update.
605Wi, A5IMT, A5IT, A7o 8GB:2.4.82
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 1387
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: Firmware 3.2.46 released - report bugs here

Post by butterflygirl »

Farsquidge wrote:
butterflygirl wrote:1. 3g port no longer supports hard drives.
Funnily enough, I expected this from Archos....

I think the initial HDD support from this port was yet another (unplanned) bug but a positive one for users and one that caused serious bowel movements in the Archos sales dept. :lol:

I mean, it would mean the sales of any units above 8 GB would be severely curtailed if you could just plug in a USB stick to achieve a larger storage.

What a Gaff!! :roll:

So they have probably deliberately killed it. Only way to tell for sure is if its fixed in a later update.
Thay have aleady said on faceboook that they will reactivate this in the next firmware.
TrustedDeveloper
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:58 am

Re: Firmware 3.2.46 released - report bugs here

Post by TrustedDeveloper »

Several issues with HDMI output...
1. When playing Music app, the tablet will turn off after a time and the tablet won't turn back on again.
2. The audio occasionally mutes when playing a video on HDMI.
What everyone else is reporting...
1. The 3G port doesn't allow me to mount my hard drive or flash drive.
2. Market isn't allowing me to download anything. I have recently contacted Google about this.
3. Honeycomb isn't allowing me to link my Facebook account.
4. Occasional random reboots. Not particularly annoying, but enough that I notice it.

Archos, I'd really appreciate it if you could fix these issues. Thanks! :|
tarcus
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: Firmware 3.2.46 released - report bugs here

Post by tarcus »

Another HDMI crash, watched a video, returned to home screen, walked over to tablet and unplugged HDMI lead, returned to chair, tablet frozen, needed a 10-second power button reset.
Archos G9 8GB
Post Reply

Return to “General G9 discussions”