weird browser for onboard html?

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
viking

weird browser for onboard html?

Post by viking »

What kind of weird app is being used when you bring up a local html file (not on the web), and how can I replace it ?

It apparently cannot zoom in any fashion, like by pinching or clicking for a menu option (has none). If you have onboard html as a manual or saved websites or an html book - it is useless on a small screen.

Somewhere there must be a setup as to what gets launched for onboard html, and it doesn't seem to be android browser. For instance if you invoke the user manual, it will bring this weird thing up... and then when you click on a line it goes on to the normal browser.
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: weird browser for onboard html?

Post by sweetypie »

Good question.
hgushee
Archos User
Archos User

Post by hgushee »

The thing can be found in Settings | Applications | Manage Applications | All

==> HTML viewer

But I don't know if there is anything you can do to get it out of the way, or to configure it however. It looks like a piece of Android, at some level. Choosing to "Clear Data" does not activate any of the other options, such as "Launch by default", "Force stop", or "Uninstall" however.
=================
A43 IT
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

hgushee wrote:The thing can be found in Settings | Applications | Manage Applications | All

==> HTML viewer

But I don't know if there is anything you can do to get it out of the way, or to configure it however. It looks like a piece of Android, at some level. Choosing to "Clear Data" does not activate any of the other options, such as "Launch by default", "Force stop", or "Uninstall" however.

Good spot. It supports something else I was thinking. It's a (Windows-type) file association thing. Android is treating the internal .htm and .html (I know, I renamed the file, just to see) suffixes as "files" rather than "web pages". So the associated app options are only "text viewers" rather than "web browsers".

Interesting. I wonder if this is Android or Archos?

Is there any kind of app which manages File Associations, I wonder?
hgushee
Archos User
Archos User

Post by hgushee »

I think Astro File Manager will manage associations.
=================
A43 IT
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

hgushee wrote:I think Astro File Manager will manage associations.

I had a look at that. It has an "Edit File Extensions" function, which looks promising, but it's not what I hoped for. It's subtitled "Set mime type and icon for file extensions" - less promising.

"htm" is set to "text/html".

I changed it to various other things (there doesn't seem to be a "browser" setting), but when I clicked on the file, I got the message "htm not recognised".

Good try though ...
viking

Post by viking »

For the case of frequently accessed local html files, I believe you can force the web browser to see it via file://mnt/storage/blahblah to get a zoomable viewing experience. But it is kind of a pain to figure out and type the path, which is different than archos displays to you. You can find it by files details, then bookmark it.
viking

Post by viking »

viking wrote:It apparently cannot zoom in any fashion, like by pinching or clicking for a menu option (has none). If you have onboard html as a manual or saved websites or an html book - it is useless on a small screen.

Hmm, now I see it can sometimes zoom depending on the content. If it has just words, you can sometimes tickle a zoom bar on lower left which works fine. If it has pictures, you can sometimes double tap for a slight zoom, although usually inadaquate on a 7 inch screen. Other times it seems to defy zooming.

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”