How to open an A7

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
ArchAngel123
Archos User
Archos User

Re: How to open an A7

Post by ArchAngel123 »

Okay trying to answe your questions

Nope sorry dont have skype .. at work at the moment :)

>>>>"When I start the A5 up with the OE 250gb I see "Patched Bootloader v1.7.11" with our penguin friend on display. I fear this may be an issue..."

Yep I know nothing of this patched firmware .. I would first downgrade the machine and the original hdd to patched
1.6.54. Like I stated before after 1.7.0.2 there is an extra check on the firmware before it flashes it

d/load 1.6.54 patched from here http://archos.g3nius.org/updates/firmwa ... atched.aos - Remember to rename this (see post above)

>>>> " Format? Does NTFS or FAT32 matter? The A5 is FAT32.

I think it creates its own partitions so I dont think it matters. Having said that I dont know if Linux can see NTFS. So personally I would put the new disk in GParter, and delete all current partitions and then create one big fat32. before putting in archos.

>>>> "I took from the left column... the one that had the AVOS and patched bootloader. "

See link above

>>>> "Did you use 1.7.02? I hope I'm not SOL for using 1.7.11.... "

Nope for the 500gb I used 1.6.54 patched all the way

So to recap I would do the following
1) Take the 500gb pop it into the linux machine (I have a usb to sata connector) - use gparter delete whatever partitions are there create one massive fat32 and format it
2) I would downgrade the A7 with original hdd to 1.6.54. (follow g3nius downgrade instructions here). Remember after running the g3nius instructions you will be on 1.6.53. So run the 1.6.54 PATCHED firmware file afterwards

From here you have two options
1) Try and just remove the original disk, pop in the new one and choose format disk fromt he system menu (dont panic if it shutsdown the first time, do it again - REMEMBER to use 1.6.54 patched when it ask you to connect to the pc and load a firmware. Obviously remember to name it correctly.

This really should do it ... If not then revert to the steps I mentioned (ie the ones I followed on my "faulty" 160gb)

Good luck
Archos>iPod
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Archos>iPod »

It's 3AM here... and I have reached no success.

I have made multiple attempts using 2 *new* 500gb HDDs...

With v1.6.54 on A5 and old 250gb HDD, when I try to format the new drive in recovery, it says "please wait..." then changes to something like "setting up media" and then reboots to recover after about 30 minutes. At recovery after reboot, I select format again... and it just says "please wait..." for hours and hours. No bars... prompts... progress... no success. I tried one drive out of box and the other specially formated to FAT32. Each attempt to no success.

:doubt:

So weird that it wont just work... I thought i did everything right.
Archos>iPod
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Archos>iPod »

"v1.6.54" patched... penguin, just to clarify.
ArchAngel123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ArchAngel123 »

Sorry to hear this .. Are you in the uk .. If so post it to me and ill have a look at the drive (and set it up for you). Obviously I would like you to cover postage.. Happy if you are overseas as well, just postage will be more expensive

Alternatively I can buy a 500gb from ebuyer.com (59-99) and post it to you ... again expect this cost and postage back from
you.

All I can do ... sorry I could not help :(
345742D
Archos User
Archos User

Post by 345742D »

A>I, i could be wrong, but i think your problem lies in you trying to connect the A5 using format disk... go into recovery and click on repair disk instead... you should be able to connect it to your computer..
ArchAngel123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ArchAngel123 »

345742D wrote:A>I, i could be wrong, but i think your problem lies in you trying to connect the A5 using format disk... go into recovery and click on repair disk instead... you should be able to connect it to your computer..
No he is right its format disk. Because the disk is new it must have the partitions setup for it (which repair disk does not do).
345742D
Archos User
Archos User

Post by 345742D »

ArchAngel123 wrote:
345742D wrote:A>I, i could be wrong, but i think your problem lies in you trying to connect the A5 using format disk... go into recovery and click on repair disk instead... you should be able to connect it to your computer..
No he is right its format disk. Because the disk is new it must have the partitions setup for it (which repair disk does not do).
i know he needs to format the disk, i thought after he did that he'd have to connect using repair disk so he can put on the files that he needs... i didnt know format disk let you connect to pc...
zac68
Archos User
Archos User

Post by zac68 »

either one works.
Archos>iPod
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Archos>iPod »

I've tried everything again... all over from the beginning. No dice.

Same symptoms:

I put the new HDD in and go to format. It just displays "please wait..." and sometimes after 10 to 30 minutes, it turns off. Other times, it just stays on. When it's on, it just spins up a lot, and spins down... I don't really hear a lot of chatter.

I really am perplexed. I feel like I have followed every bit of the (seemingly) comprehensive instructions and I'm not able to obtain positive results.

I'm in Hawaii right now. I, unfortunately cannot send the drive, but I thank you for the offer. If I sent it, I would have to send everything to you: A5, old drive, new drive. I need it on this trip. Anyway, if anything comes to you mind about an issue... let me know.

Just to note:

On my redo of the entire downgrade patch etc..., I went from downgrade to patch... without turning on the archos. I did turn it on after that and then shut it off and added the v1.6.54 you told me to download. Nothing seems to work.

I have 2 blank 500gb externals here. One I formatted to NTFS, the other is FAT 32... each produce the same response ("please wait...").

Of additional note:

When I force shut down the A5 after a few hours of "please wait..." It appears it has loaded around 200mb onto the drive, yet it appears empty.

I never once saw a "creating partitions" or anything that looked like it was working.

A final attempt I consider, is to clone the old A5 using the dd command in linux (I read a little about it and tried it on a thumb-drive with success). Perhaps that might make things work... most likely not. It appears the A5 is simply rejecting the hardware.
ArchAngel123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ArchAngel123 »

A>I perhaps you are right and perhaps the A5 is a bit more fussy (Cant see why to be honest as its the same firmware)

With my offer, I only need the new HDD - As I would put it into my A7, set it up and then send it back. This way, as long as you have our penguin friend you should just have to fit it. So you could continue using the archos whilst I sort the disk out.

Happy to forward you my ebay account, etc to make you feel more comfortable. It is a genuine offer of help - not a long distance con :shock:

AA123 out
Archos>iPod
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Archos>iPod »

It just hangs on "please wait..." I imagine that this is the same response I would get without the patched firmware. It's as if it's not there.

Could I have done something to jeopardize the process? i.e. I did the GF hack, I accidentally patched with 1.7.11... etc. It makes no sense that it would work for AA123, Zac68 and the others.

Sometimes it says "setting up operating system" if I select repair disk, however it just hangs there.

What's the story?

My process, just to recap:

1. GF hack... with success on OE 250gb HDD.
2. A5 downgraded to 1.6.54 (I never saw 1.6.53 or any other...) using the wiki page as reference.
3. I patched the firmware to 1.6.54 (from wiki) and saw penguin with 1.6.54 on bootup (don't remember if the downgrade did this too... doubt it)
4. Pre-patched to 1.6.54... seemed redundant, but I did it anyway, as instructed.
5. Booted unit to confirm 1.6.54 at boot screen and in settings firmware version
6. Full power down of unit.
7. Installed new HDD (minus the guard rails, I didn't think they did anything)
8. Booted to recovery mode and selected "Format"
9. Saw recovery in the header with a static "please wait..." on screen.
10. Connected power supply
11. Waited... (If rebooted, sometimes it would hang at penguin or return to recovery menu... either way, I would select format again.)

I'm sure there is more, but that's what I can remember.

This has to be user error since you guys have had success. My A5 still works... occasionally I have to reload the firmware because when I reinstall the old HDD it will boot to recovery.

I really don't want to throw in the towel... I should be able to do this.
Archos>iPod
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Archos>iPod »

HOLD ON... AA123...

You said at the start of this (your) thread that you were not able to do anything in the other firmware versions. You mentioned that 1.6.54 wouldn't even start. You said you went back to 1.7.02. I am trying this now... It just says "please wait..." but maybe after a few hours it might work? Also, with 1.7.02 loaded on, I briefly saw a new option in the recovery menu, something like "force USB mode"? Could that be of any use???

You also mentioned that 1.7.02 and higher cannot be downgraded, is this true? Perhaps when I put 1.7.11 on there it changed system files beyond my scope of knowledge and even though I may do the "downgrade" and it says "1.6.54", it isn't really???

Let me know what you (OR OTHERS :) ) think.

Thanks.
Archos>iPod
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Archos>iPod »

Sorry to continue flooding this. I know I am not doing something right. I am following the steps as I see them, but I obviously am loading/transferring/patching something wrong. It makes not sense to me that it work easily for AA123 and Zac68 and not on mine... unless of course I caused the error in what I mentioned in my posts above.

I have a love/hate relationship with a challenge... and sadly, this is consuming me right now.
ArchAngel123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ArchAngel123 »

Archos>iPod wrote:HOLD ON... AA123...

You said at the start of this (your) thread that you were not able to do anything in the other firmware versions. You mentioned that 1.6.54 wouldn't even start. You said you went back to 1.7.02. I am trying this now... It just says "please wait..." but maybe after a few hours it might work? Also, with 1.7.02 loaded on, I briefly saw a new option in the recovery menu, something like "force USB mode"? Could that be of any use???

You also mentioned that 1.7.02 and higher cannot be downgraded, is this true? Perhaps when I put 1.7.11 on there it changed system files beyond my scope of knowledge and even though I may do the "downgrade" and it says "1.6.54", it isn't really???

Let me know what you (OR OTHERS :) ) think.

Thanks.
Yes (could not do anytthing with other firmware versions), but most of that was due to the "faulty" 160gb drive (I think). You should be able to flash the drive on "any" patched firmware. You will read further up or on my success thread the reason i chose 1.6.54 as the base patched was for the gf hack.

My warning re using 1.7.0.2 and higer was based on the fact that you MUST use the SAME or HIGHER fimware then the one on the flash (once past 1.7.0.2) {I THINK unless g3nius have removed the post 1702 downgrade restrictioncode in their patched version as well.}

[Side Note - If you are not aware from 1.7.0.2 Archos put in some code that restricts the ability to downgrade, this is what I am refering to above]

So

1) Penguin 1.6.54 on boot with any patched firmware (once the format disk option asks for it) should work
2) Penguin 1.7.0.2 on boot with any patched firmware 1.7.0.2 and above should work (anything below I dont think will work) - can someone from g3nius confirm if the patched version removes the downgrade lock post 1702?

Therefor I ALWAYS TRY and keep the versions the same, and I use 1.6.54 - Why, because this works for me ..

Hope this helps
Archos>iPod
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Archos>iPod »

Thanks for your response AA123.

You have been so kind and helpful, also Zac68. As of now, you are the only 2 that I know of that have done this. I cannot accept defeat... I have spent so much time on this and knowing that others have accomplished this is only propelling me to continue trying.

Zac68, I think you did this on a A5... and AA123 is A7.

So, I posted my steps above. Could you think of any areas that I may have been doing something wrong?

AA123, regarding your offer to send my a drive. I fear it would do nothing in my A5. It really seems that the security check is still there. It only wants the Hitachi 250gb OEM in it. Format just hangs on "please wait..."... how long? a year? For Archos to make a 500gb A5??? lol

I have a list of qustions and I will number them to try and make it easy for answering. Anyone can chime in, any help goes a LONG way.

Here goes:

1. Have I been patching (with pre-patches) correctly?
---Note: I have been going to recovery menu pre-boot and selecting repair disk. It works... so I think.

2. When I did the downgrade, I did not have a AOS unpacker in Ubuntu (so I think) so I just took the cramfs files from the file "cramfs.secure-1.6.54.zip". Isn't that all I needed?

3. Does the penguin mean I have patched??? Or perhaps it took some parts, but not all. Maybe the securities in the boot are not changed. At what step, and please excuse my n00bness here, are these security checks removed? They are obviously flashed on the on-board memory which I would imagine patching the firmware would do (from this page: http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... _DTI_Games).

4. This question may be for higher ups... but let's give it a shot. Is it possible that our penguin friend could show up with an indication on startup screen saying patched bootloader 1.6.54 without being "fully patched"? Meaning it is "patched", but maybe some bits and pieces didn't go through fully.

*** I would like to mention that my A5 with old HDD still works... however, it will often boot to recover on its own after I attempt formating one of the other drives. In cases like this, I simple go to repair disk and copy a firmware from Archos 5 Pre-Patched Firmware Updates (http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... re_Updates) and I download one from the left column (Full Firmware *green*). ***

5. I do not recall ever seeing v1.6.53 at the penguin boot screen. In fact, I recall having to load a firmware from the pre-patched list because it booted to recovery when I tried to fire it up. I loaded 1.6.54. Anything weird here?

6. Why would it be significant to load a "pre-patched firmware"? What is in that that could mess things, if possible, up? I have been doing this on the A5 with the old 250gb.

7. When I first tried to patch, I didn't get the penguin on startup, later, of course, I did. Could early attempted faults have caused issue?

8. Is there ANY way that I could go back to a state before the patch (+patched bootloader)??? I feel a clean start could maybe remedy this.

9. Let's go back in time, your time (for those of you who have done this :)), and remember what we did with the new HDD. Did you open it out of the box and just put it in? OR did you format it? If so, to what? NTFS? FAT32?

10. (continuation of 9) With the new drive in, what did you see when you went into recovery mode and hit format? AA123, you indicated that it said "creating partitions". I have only seen 3 messages (ever):

->"please wait..." - This is most common when I hit format in the recovery menu (hangs longest)
->"setting up media" (I'm pretty sure of this wording) - This would come up occasionally after "please wait..."
->"setting up operating system" - This comes up if I hit repair disk
*** In all cases: It would eventually turn off (10 minutes-many many hours or so). Sometimes it would return to recovery, others it would restart to and hang at penguin. I would hit format again which often would only say "please wait..." (repair disk twice yielded similar results). I never saw a progress bar or a prompt to connect. It is almost as if the security check is still there. Also, when these messages are on screen, I will often hear the HDD spinning... up to speed and slowing not so often... BUT it doesn't sound like it's doing anything. When I put the HDD into linux, it appears unchanged. It's really like the A5 is saying " :badgrin: keep trying, I can keep this up all day :badgrin: "

There are more questions... but I thought I would start with 10 to make it less confusing.

Ok, a couple more :)

**Anywhere my process could have gone wrong? Downgrading? Patching? Pre-patching (necessary?)?**

Anywhere it told me (in the tutorial) to type in the terminal (same as console?) I did it exactly as it said. Could my math have been wrong mounting the system partition? Perhaps not including a crucial range of data? I did the math using the calculations I saw on the tutorial. My number was offset=249851105280 (for the old 250gb) I can't remember the 2 numbers that got me there (one of them should be the same for everyone I think). Would it have mounted the disk with any value and just shown less information? I saw that the disk in the A5 is FAT32, but the hidden partition is in ext3... couldn't I just find a command to mount ALL ext3 on disk to "/media/disk"? Sorry for being a total n00b on this one... if it makes you laugh, you deserve to get a laugh for making it this far!!! My fingers hurt! :lol:

I will try to fill in more details once I brain flush (sleep) for the day. I have spent over 80 hours on this... it's absurd.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and reply. I hate seeing my A5 in pieces :cry:
nokiae50
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nokiae50 »

Looks like you have been trying really hard. I can feel your pain :)
Anyways I will try uploading the first 1.6.53 pre patched files. Try using those. May be they may work.
And you had installed SDE then again on 1.7.11 right? And what about others AA123? You also had installed SDE then 1.7.11 then you replaced HDD?

Just want to see you get through before 25th DEC. :)
openAOS ROCKS!!
zac68
Archos User
Archos User

Post by zac68 »

Archos>iPod if persistence was an Olympic event you'd win the Gold medal, with daylight coming second.
I did my changes on an A7. I did'nt install the SDE, I just did the steps below and it worked for me without too much grief.
Your A5 seems to be doing everything that a patched device should be doing. I cannot think of anything that's missing.
I'm sure you'll crack it eventually and I bet the answer will be something simple and obvious that none of us thought about ;)

My steps
1. I downgraded my firmware. http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... 5_firmware
2. Then patched the firmware. http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... _DTI_Games
3. Then loaded the 1.7.11 prepatched firmware. http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... re_Updates
Archos>iPod
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Archos>iPod »

Thanks for the quick replies nokiae50 and zac68.

I am typing this message in bed... This is the earliest I am going to sleep this week! (2:20am Hawaii time).

Nokiae50, I was a little confused by your post. I am embarrassed to ask, but I will anyway: When you say "SDE" what exactly do you mean? Also, your offer to upload the first 1.6.53 pre patched files... how and where would I get those from you? I'm confused... and tired = bad combo #-o

Zac68, you think that my A5 is doing everything that a patched device should be doing. How do you know this? I mean, could I get the penguin and still have something missing? Like not actually removing the HDD securities? And, just to be clear, you downgraded (didn't turn on the A5), patch with the 1.6.43 patcher kit (didn't turn on till after and then ran DTi), and then shut down, booted to recovery and dragged the 1.7.11 pre-patched firmware and booted. Then you shutdown the A7 and swapped drives, went to recovery, selected format (what did you see when you clicked it?), and then some prompt (I have yet to see) came up and asked you to connect and load the (same as old) firmware.

Just came to me: A note about DTi... it froze when I first selected the penguin "game"... and then did the green scrolly progress bar. When I hit it a second time it just flashed on the screen (it did not freeze on the second select click) and I closed out and rebooted and saw the penguin.
ArchAngel123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ArchAngel123 »

Nokiae50 I know you are trying to help but you are just confusing the waters.

no one has used SDE in this AT ALL!

Unless you have done this yourself, please dont speculate (even trying to help) cos this poor man has been to hell and back and does not deserve to be confused any more

A>I New offer for you given its Christmas! :)

Ill setup my 160gb to work in my archos7 and send it onto you (once im 100% it works). You can then try fit it and see if it works. If it does hurrah it mean your bootloader is patched, if not it means the bootloader is still locked to the drive. I personally think it will work. In which case it just means (for whatever reason) your A5 cannot prepare a foreign drive.

I would expect postage there and would expect you to return the drive to me. Your call - I really cannot help more than that.

Your steps all look good (since the first attempt!)!

Any which way merry xmas dude
ArchAngel123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ArchAngel123 »

8. Is there ANY way that I could go back to a state before the patch (+patched bootloader)??? I feel a clean start could maybe remedy this.

Yep just put an official firmware file in the root directory of your original drive, disconnect and then follow the steps to "upgrade"

Return to “Open Development”