Archos running Android

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
guoruiwu1994
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Archos running Android

Post by guoruiwu1994 »

Just like the Archos, the Nokia 810 has an ARM CPU. Google is developing Android to run on the 810, maybe there could be a port to the archos.
Redneck
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Redneck »

what can android do that the archos OS cant? i dont know much about android so more info please.
MY SIGNATURE
guoruiwu1994
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by guoruiwu1994 »

Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

This could be a very important feature for Gen6. Archos could perhaps just port their applications over to Google Android, thus just have some icons for the Archos applications from within Google Android and control that version of the OS in some ways to control DRM, Macrovision and other aspects that have to be under control.

I don't think Google is specifically working on porting Android to the Nokia N810, but some hackers made it work. Nokia has their own Linux based OSes which they plan to give away for free and to open up to compete with Google Android, that is Symbian and Qtopia.

The advantage of having Android would obviously be to be compatible with Google features and the awesome Android apps that are coming up. Especially customized apps to use localization and social networking in revolutionary new ways.
slapshot
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Archos running Android

Post by slapshot »

So is anyone here trying to implement this?
Famf
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Famf »

It would be amazing if we could get this working. I'm looking forward to Android.
tracnar
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by tracnar »

The compiled binaries with Android don't work on the Archos and I think that google hasn't released the complete source code yet.
Moreover, installing Android would mean replacing the current kernel and be able to write on the root partition (maybe now possible).

Here is the source code for the kernel but there is only the SDK for the whole system, not the source.
TedM
Archos User
Archos User

Post by TedM »

15 characters..

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”