Possibly a new idea for hacking fw v2.x.x. help needed

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
L0wt3ch
Archos User
Archos User

Post by L0wt3ch »

grond wrote: Of what use has his accomplishment been to you? And yes, he's a hacker. Wow. I am not? Ooooooooooooooohhh...
Why, no use at all. These "openPMA" guys came in right after fiat's hack was released, took over everything (including the forum), and then buried it.

All the while talking up their "big release" that would someday come out, making big promises they admit they may never keep.

This crowded out a real Archos hacking scene, because the openPMA guys kept promising a distribution of sorts that would basically include everything anyone could ever ask for. MPlayer, the GIMP, Internet streaming - you name it. (Might "take a couple of weeks", though! :roll: )

Empty promises, indeed. In fact, openPMA never released anything that added useful new features to the Archos 605. All they ever put out (as one particularly intelligent forum user put it) was lies and hot air.

And that is what killed the entire Archos hacking scene. Sucked the marrow out of every bone in its body. They stole all of the momentum from fiat's original discovery, made grandiose claims, but were completely useless vainglorious liars. Their only accomplishment was misleading and stringing along thousands of people for such a long period of time.
kb
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by kb »

L0wt3ch wrote: And that is what killed the entire Archos hacking scene. Sucked the marrow out of every bone in its body. They stole all of the momentum from fiat's original discovery, made grandiose claims, but were completely useless vainglorious liars. Their only accomplishment was misleading and stringing along thousands of people for such a long period of time.
There never was an `Archos hacking scene' to suck the marrow out of. It just never existed. What there was, in fact, was three or four people who had the skills and the interest in hacking the x05. That's three or four people on earth.

The x05 is impenetrably difficult and unrewarding to hack. Archos has done its level best to ensure that there's as little profit in hacking it as there can possibly be.

But that's not really the point -- there's nothing to stop anybody who wants to start or work on a 605 hacking project (and has the time and skill to do it) to do exactly that.
L0wt3ch
Archos User
Archos User

Post by L0wt3ch »

Not true - openPMA wasted all of the momentum from fiat's hack, but they also wasted all of our time so that fiat's hack doesn't work on most models anymore. This limits the number of people who could work on this.
Last edited by L0wt3ch on Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

L0wt3ch wrote:Not true - openPMA wasted all of the momentum from fiat's hack, but they also wasted all of our time so that fiat's hack doesn't work on most models anymore. This limits the number of people who could work on this.
So who are the people we scared away? How could we even managed to scare fiat away?
openAOS
L0wt3ch
Archos User
Archos User

Post by L0wt3ch »

You didn't scare anyone away.

You lied, and strung everybody along, until everyone wandered away in disappointment. You crowded out new development with your boasting and false promises.

I don't blame fiat for leaving the forum, given that openPMA would probably waste any new hack, sitting on their asses and letting the window of opportunity expire, while reassuring everyone that "oh yes the new release will be out soon".
suRRendeR
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by suRRendeR »

There is a way to wipe out all Archos stuff on the 605 but it┬┤s to complicated to reach the masses, includes hardware changes and is therefore not interesting to the masses. What I don┬┤t understand is one fact that reaches out through the whole forum here... people who try to benefit from the work of others that gave their valuable time and maybe even money to present the crowds with easy access to their devices. Some people do not understand that everyone trying to enhance his unit is doing this at his own will and not because some n00b says: "Hey your the hacker, work faster". This alone should be a reason for those who got into fw 2.xx(which i am not yet belonging to) to keep their hacks for themselves an maybe to people who appreciate their work. I think it would be a good idea for those people to want money for their work. this would blow off all n00bs that just want "free plugins, free xxx and so on".

well however, i am currently working out some weakness in the udev system of fw 2
roylovelock

Post by roylovelock »

sorry mate, your right there are a couple on here that are trolls, but their days are now numbered, the board will be upgraded in the couple of days (should have been this morning), trolls can then be reported by every user, and then warnings can be given out before accounts are suspended or removed. dont worry mate, the majority of the forum dont act like this its just a few bad eggs who will be weeded out as time goes by,
roy
COYI
RonanC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Possibly a new idea for hacking fw v2.x.x. help needed

Post by RonanC »

L0wt3ch, when you come on here and post a hack of any real value, or contribute anything at all to the hacking projects or to the forums in general, then you can say what you like about OpenPMA, but until that day, do f**k off back to pre-school like a good lad and stop annoying the grown ups, theres a good chap.

Its very hard to hack a device that has been locked down in every concievable way to stop people exploiting it, and considering a firmware was released what 8 months ago(?) that effectively shut the only door the hackers had into the system, its hardly any wonder OpenPMA have no come out with much recently. Until someone can find another equivalent of the GFT exploit (or whatever it was called) there is hardly much point persuing any hacking projects, as the number of people on firmware 1.7.13 and below that will actually benifit from the project is getting smaller and smaller every day as people upgrade the firmware and buy new devices with non-hackable firmware preloaded.
sIRwa2
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sIRwa2 »

it bad to see the nabs and freeloaders ruining the spirits of dedicated hackers. but if you manage to concentrate and keep your work underground, there is allot of things possible, if you find the right people with the talent and skillz needed. Just look at the psp, i think Sony are better at locking down there hardware then archos is, and that scene almost died from stealing backstabber's and ego's, but after that, some guys produced some amazing work (its still too good to be true) and yes, the psp has a much greater user base and thus hacking it is more rewarding / challenging, but i feel that the 05 series have allot of potential, and archos ain't giving us much..

therefor, I'll be quietly watching this forum waiting till the magic begins, caressing my little jukebox recorder running rockbox from his first day..

Go for it guys!!
pt1989
Archos User
Archos User

Post by pt1989 »

u live upto your name l0wt3ch. Besides I think you are seriously dumb and think that the openPMA is an Archos subsidiary to release compulsory addons.
If u cannot better something better keep shut. Things have limitations, I bet you to do something yourself and then speak for yourself.
I cannot contest what fiat has to say since he has done something but wtf are you?!
weirdbeardmt
Archos User
Archos User

Post by weirdbeardmt »

Arguing, Internet, special olympics. Etc.

The title of this thread is "Possibly a new idea..." and that's exactly what it is. A discussion, a "what if we tried" type thing and I commend the thread starter for at least throwing it out there. Even if it doesn't work, something else might come out of it. As some other well informed person said in this thread "even if it doesn't work, we might learn something" - and that's exactly how you make progress.

I'm in the FW2.x camp too (but a bit too scared of bricking it if I started poking around), but I'm in awe of *all* of the people who even made the GFT, usb stuff, new browser hacks/mods etc. possible in the first place. Top marks to the lot of you.

To those of you more interested in bitching and moaning and pointing fingers kindly STFU and let the people who actually have an interest in the bigger picture get on with whatever they can, even if that's just throwing ideas out there to see what might come of them.

(I know I'm late on this thread, but I thought the original idea actually had some credence, so would like to see if it goes/went anywhere.)
Only 15 chars?!
thethirdmoose
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by thethirdmoose »

YOURALLNAZIS

There, now can we end this thread?
dennis1a4
Archos User
Archos User

Post by dennis1a4 »

thethirdmoose wrote:YOURALLNAZIS

There, now can we end this thread?
lol
30G 605 DVR qt
generic_username
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by generic_username »

this may be daft(as many of my posts probably are) but I wonder if theres any GPL'd code in the GPS unit code/upgrade that we could request from archos that might make a >1.7 hack easier to find?
QUICKPULLAN
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by QUICKPULLAN »

I'm a non-hacking freeloader, but I do have a suggestion, in response to this:
breaking a symmetric 1024bit key is not, well, feasible
We could use BOINC. That would give us a fair amount of computing power, and with enough people contributing I'm sure that we could break it in a reasonable amount of time.

Of course, I base this off of completely nothing, so if I'm wrong, sorry about it.
omegatotal
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by omegatotal »

hell i would definately be for using a distributed computing system to help crack the encryption, i have at least 2x core2 quad 2.6Ghz/core systems at work and adding both laptops and desktops up, a total of 20x dual core(amd/intel, ~2.0ghz/core) machines i could put this on, they are running vista 32/64

if i went to another store, double that number! thats allot of power to put towards the goal :-D and they run 24/7/365, mostly with just screen savers running so no1 would notice!

as long as it only needs http access for get/post it will have access to the internet as well

hit me up if you have something for me to run
fischju
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by fischju »

Well with THAT kid of power we should have it in no more than 20 years!
omegatotal
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by omegatotal »

its worth a try? and its all free!
gardar
Archos User
Archos User

Post by gardar »

If someone puts up a project using boinc, I will have quite a lot of computers to help....
Gen 5 A605 160gb
Gen 8 A70 250gb
omegatotal
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by omegatotal »

someone should !

Return to “Open Development”