Free browser

These topics will not be moderated (only spam is deleted)
kb
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 1745
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:19 am

Post by kb »

I can't comment on 7-zip, but as for (I assume) write access on /etc it isn't easy. You can simulate it by copy the contents of /etc (there's not much) into some place where you can write (e.g., /mnt/system/etc) and than mapping the writable directory over the top of the original one using `mount -o bind /mnt/system/etc /etc). Of course, you need to do this again every time you reboot.

If you do this you can modify /etc/hosts, which is what I assume you're aiming at ;)
pyromane
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:25 pm

Post by pyromane »

Ok, i'll try it with an Linux Pack-program.
pyromane
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:25 pm

Post by pyromane »

The Pack-program was not nessesary.
Easily start a putty-session ->

Code: Select all

cd /
cp /mnt/data/index.html /mnt/root/ghttpd/htdocs/
So I had only to copy the index.html into the root directory of my Archos
ps: index.html
<-- it has some Links and a Java-Script URL-field, so I can browse without using google.
wkr Pyromane [/code]
pyromane
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:25 pm

Post by pyromane »

i've another Question:
is it possible to link to files on the Archos?
I tried it and it didnt work, i got only the index.html (of course i had the files in the htdocs folder)
and a second question:
i read , that it is possible to start a ssh session on the Archos over the Webbrowser... how?
wkr Pyromane
Xouillet
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:52 pm

Post by Xouillet »

In fact, when you click on archos portal, it links to index.html?MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx or something like this. As this page don't exists, it goes to 404.html that I have linked to index.html so that's why you get index.html wherever you change the start.xml.

But you can make other htmls page and link them in the index.html to make a site.

About the ssh in a browser, I don't know if this is possible without using php or something like this. Maybe with cgi that is supported by ghttpd...
L0wt3ch
Archos User
Archos User
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:42 am

Post by L0wt3ch »

"Buy the damn plugin!"

Whatever kb. Who are you to be moralistic and preachy? It's our machine, we should be free to do whatever we want with it. I paid for that wireless hardware, so f*ck Archos for locking me out. Plus, they won't take my credit card for some reason, so I CAN'T buy the plugin.

So shut up. Do you work for Archos?
Pikoe
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:27 pm

Post by Pikoe »

There are multiple ways to get on the browser without buying a plugin. Just find a link google/yahoo. Posting these ways in here just get them fixed.
kb
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 1745
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:19 am

Post by kb »

L0wt3ch wrote:"Buy the damn plugin!"

Whatever kb. Who are you to be moralistic and preachy? It's our machine, we should be free to do whatever we want with it. I paid for that wireless hardware, so f*ck Archos for locking me out. Plus, they won't take my credit card for some reason, so I CAN'T buy the plugin.

So shut up. Do you work for Archos?
I don't mind being called moralistic and preachy -- probably I am -- but I do kind of resent the attitude that anybody who defends Archos does it only because he expects to gain personally.

I don't work for Archos, I've never worked for Archos, and I have been, and still am, openly critical of their business policies. I don't get any money when they sell a browser plugin, or anything else.

But in this case I'm defending Archos because, well, they're in the right, and you are in the wrong. It's as simple as that. They're in the right because they make it perfectly clear that the unit as sold does not include a Web browser. You may not like that business policy -- I'm not sure I do, either -- but they are perfectly open about it. It's written on the box, for Goodness' sake.

If you want to get something for nothing, and are irked that you can't, that's not Archos' fault, or mine. If you're too damned stupid to read the product spec before you buy it, again, that's not Archos' fault, or mine.

And nobody said you aren't free to do what you like with your 605. If you can work out a way to get the browser for free, good on you. But you have no right to approach a bunch of complete strangers and ask them to help you carry out an unlawful and unethical action, and then accuse them of being moralistic and preachy when they won't.
L0wt3ch
Archos User
Archos User
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:42 am

Post by L0wt3ch »

But you have no right to approach a bunch of complete strangers and ask them to help you carry out an unlawful and unethical action, and then accuse them of being moralistic and preachy when they won't.
I've never asked anyone on here for anything.
I'm defending Archos because, well, they're in the right, and you are in the wrong. It's as simple as that. They're in the right because they make it perfectly clear that the unit as sold does not include a Web browser. You may not like that business policy -- I'm not sure I do, either -- but they are perfectly open about it. It's written on the box, for Goodness' sake.
To take LINUX and put it on a device that comes with wifi hardware and then use it to PREVENT me from using my hardware that I own is wrong, and it's disgusting.
If you're too damned stupid to read the product spec before you buy it, again, that's not Archos' fault, or mine.
The product spec didn't say "your credit card won't work so you can't buy the plugin". That is Archos' fault, and I have gone all the way up the food chain over there with their customer service, with no success. All attempts at buying the plugin (buying a code to use the software already on my computer) have failed.

So if you're too damn stupid to read my post carefully, then I repeat: Shut up!
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:37 pm
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Post by grond »

L0wt3ch wrote:To take LINUX and put it on a device that comes with wifi hardware and then use it to PREVENT me from using my hardware that I own is wrong, and it's disgusting.
It is perfectly legal. Archos haven't violated the GPL. A lot of companies are using linux in exactly the same way. And as you don't seem to have contributed anything to linux at all, I don't thing this should be your problem. It just doesn't matter whether it is Linux, QNX or WindowsCE as long as Archos respects the licensing conditions. And they do. The "free" in "free software" doesn't mean the same as "free" in "free beer".

The product spec didn't say "your credit card won't work so you can't buy the plugin". That is Archos' fault, and I have gone all the way up the food chain over there with their customer service, with no success. All attempts at buying the plugin (buying a code to use the software already on my computer) have failed.
Archos now also accept Paypal. Perhaps that's a way for you to buy plugins.
openAOS
L0wt3ch
Archos User
Archos User
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:42 am

Post by L0wt3ch »

Archos haven't violated the GPL.
Actually, they have. As has been noted on this forum several times, the source code that they have released is incomplete. The GPL specifically states that if you are to use GPL software, all of the code must be available for others to use/change as they wish.

Therefore Archos' software is neither free as in freedom nor as in beer.

Don't you have something better to do than arguing with me, like maybe pretending that you're part of a group that is hacking the Archos?
divx118
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:48 pm
Contact:

Post by divx118 »

Actually, they have. As has been noted on this forum several times, the source code that they have released is incomplete. The GPL specifically states that if you are to use GPL software, all of the code must be available for others to use/change as they wish.
Please take some advice and educate yourself by reading about GPL on the internet before you make false statements and keep insulting people. BTW this is not meant to be as an insult, but just a statement that not everything you say is true and if you are using such strong words then please be sure to back them up with facts. :)

In this example not all of the code archos uses is GPL and what is not under GPL license they won't have to release so that is why the code is incomplete. If they are holding back code that is under GPL license then tell us what and steps can be taken against archos.


Maurice 8)
kb
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 1745
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:19 am

Post by kb »

L0wt3ch wrote:To take LINUX and put it on a device that comes with wifi hardware and then use it to PREVENT me from using my hardware that I own is wrong, and it's disgusting.
Irritating, perhaps. Bad business move, perhaps. Wrong? You have a weird sense of ethics, I think. `Wrong' and `disgusting' are very strong words to describe a business policy that is open and fully documented.

Archos has made lots of business decisions that reduce the appeal of their devices to me. Some of these decisions, I think, will hurt the company as well. But I am, I hope, sufficiently mature that I can tell the difference between `disagreeable' and `unethical'.
L0wt3ch
Archos User
Archos User
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:42 am

Post by L0wt3ch »

How long have you been a Linux user?

The Linux philosophy has always been centered on freedom - putting the user in control and giving him the freedom to change his software as he sees fit. Or do you really think the Linux community has been putting all this effort into making software under the GPL so unscrupulous companies can use it to restrict users and prevent them from using their hardware?
kb
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 1745
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:19 am

Post by kb »

L0wt3ch wrote:How long have you been a Linux user?

The Linux philosophy has always been centered on freedom - putting the user in control and giving him the freedom to change his software as he sees fit. Or do you really think the Linux community has been putting all this effort into making software under the GPL so unscrupulous companies can use it to restrict users and prevent them from using their hardware?
I've been a Linux user since there was a Linux to be a user of. I've been a Linux _developer_ for at least ten years. I wrote a piece of the damned kernel, for goodness' sake!

So you don't need to tell me what Linux is about.

Now, it's perhaps fair to say that Archos is not contributing to the spirit of the open-source movement. But Archos is a business. It exists to make money for its shareholders. If it doesn't do so, it will go bust. If the best way it can make money for its shareholders is to adopt a closed, proprietary platform, then that's what it has to do.

As I said, I am not convinced that this is the best way to make money. But it's not fair to attack Archos for doing what it has to do to survive in a competitive, capitalist market..
L0wt3ch
Archos User
Archos User
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:42 am

Post by L0wt3ch »

kb wrote:But it's not fair to attack Archos for doing what it has to do to survive in a competitive, capitalist market..
It's always fair to attack a corporation for the unethical things they do to survive in a competitive, capitalist market.
Now, it's perhaps fair to say that Archos is not contributing to the spirit of the open-source movement
Try "exploiting the open-source movement", or "raping consumers using open-source software". Why do you keep trying to spin things for Archos?
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:37 pm
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Post by grond »

L0wt3ch wrote:Why do you keep trying to spin things for Archos?
This is called an "opinion" and contrary to yours his is rooted in reasoning.
openAOS
L0wt3ch
Archos User
Archos User
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:42 am

Post by L0wt3ch »

Don'tcha just love all these openPMA "hackers" who tell lies and don't produce anything, but find the time to come on here and defend Archos' sorry business practices to the end?

Very curious for people always complaining about being short on time...
Karl Yeurl
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:10 pm

Post by Karl Yeurl »

kb wrote:As I said, I am not convinced that this is the best way to make money. But it's not fair to attack Archos for doing what it has to do to survive in a competitive, capitalist market..
It isn't, but their commercial policy is their own buisness. Become a shareholder if you want to say a word about it, L0wt3ch, and don't complain about their damn policy.

I don't like the way they chose to driver their buisness, but it's just like that, and you won't change anything.


And for your last inslut, i'll answer you that grond does what he want. Kb too. And if he isn't motived to code, then he won't. But if he's OK with answering such an arrogant person as you, then let him do it.
kb
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 1745
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:19 am

Post by kb »

L0wt3ch wrote:
kb wrote:But it's not fair to attack Archos for doing what it has to do to survive in a competitive, capitalist market..
It's always fair to attack a corporation for the unethical things they do to survive in a competitive, capitalist market.
So far you haven't shown that Archos has actually done anything unethical. As I understand it, you seem to be saying (well, ranting) that because Archos has made use of open-source software, it should expose the internals of its units to owners (?)

But I really, really can't see why it has a duty to do so. What ethical reasoning leads you to think this?

I think that the problem is that you misunderstand what the open source movement is about. Open source is, and always was, about sharing code to the mutual benefit of rights-holders. It is, and always was, a business practice. That's why we apply things like the GPL or Apache Licence to our work. If I just wanted to give stuff away, I'd put at the top of each source file a message : ``Here, do what you want with this''.

But I don't (usually) and nor does anybody else in the software industry. I write code to make money. Other people make money from my code, and I make money from theirs If the end user benefits from any of this, then he or she does so indirectly. It certainly isn't the primary purpose of the exercise. (Of course, we hope that the end user benefits, but that isn't why we're doing it).

Now, a perception has grown up around people with little money and lots of time on their hands (i.e., comp sci students, for the most part), that open source is some kind of mutual altruism. And it's great that I can get Fedora or OpenSolaris or whatever for little or no money. But you can be sure that the people behind these projects are not doing it because they like me and want to give me stuff. They're doing it because they see it ultimately as a way of making money from me.

There is absolutely no reason why software authors couldn't agree an open source licence that has a term to the effect: anybody that uses any of this must thereafter expose his entire software operation to everybody with an interest. But nobody in the business world would agree to a licence restriction like that. Software with such a licence would stagnate very rapidly. Of course, it would be great for students and enthusiast hackers -- ie.., people who don't need to make a living from software. But it would effectively exclude all business use of open source software.

Owners of Archos units (probably) benefit from Archos' use of open source software because this (probably) makes the units cheaper. Ultimately, making stuff cheaper is what open source is about. It's never been about freedom of this, that, and the other, yadda, yadda, yadda.
Post Reply

Return to “Off-topic”