Memory bandwidth

$299 10.1" 1280x800 OMAP4470 with $49 keyboard coverboard dock
rgbench
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Memory bandwidth

Post by rgbench »

With OMAP4470, TI has made claims of great memory bandwidth. Can anyone run this memory bandwidth benchmark ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .rgbenchbw ) on the G10 and let us know your results?

For comparison, a Qualcomm S3 based system I tested reports about 1.8GB/s and the old Samsung Humminbird based Galaxy S gets about 1.27GB/s.

Disclosure: I wrote the app but it is not a commercial app (free with no ads).
Harfainx

Re: Memory bandwidth

Post by Harfainx »

Give this a read, it claims the "effective" (memory bandwidth at 70% efficiency) is about 5.2GBps, with a maximum of around 7.5GBps. This is straight from TI.

http://www.ti.com/lit/wp/swpy028/swpy028.pdf
rgbench
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rgbench »

Thanks! Will check it out. A friend tested on the international GS3 with Exynos 4412 and we do not exceed 2 GB/s on two different tests (memcpy and STREAM based ones) that my app can test. This is despite the 6.4 GB/s claimed by Samsung. Hoping that OMAP 4470 does better.
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

I figured I would give it a run, so I downloaded the app on both my HTC EVO 4G LTE and my Archos G9 101.

On the HTC EVO 4G LTE, with the settings on Auto and Simple, I get anywhere from ~4,800MB/s all the way up to 5443.9MB/s. This was without closing any apps or doing anything special to make it run more smoothly.
On the Archos G9 101, with the same settings I get from ~1500MB/s up to 1951.6MB/s.

Maybe Charbax can give us some screenshots of the G10 scores.
rgbench
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rgbench »

Thanks! Much appreciated! That Qualcomm Snapdragon with around 5GB/s is really looking quite good.
If somebody wants the technical details, the "Simple" tests are simply measuring memcpy performance. "Misc" tests are a modification of the STREAM benchmark often used for servers.
Here are the scores people have told me so far apart from your scores:

1. Samsung Vibrant Galaxy S (Hummingbird) : 1.25 GB/s
2. Galaxy S2 (Exynos 4410, dual-core): 1.5 GB/s
3. Galaxy S2X (Qualcomm S3 dual-core): 1.8GB/s
4. Galaxy S3 (Exynos 4412, quad-core): 2.0GB/s on STREAM (misc tests in app), slightly lower on memcpy (Simple).
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

According to the specs, the OMAP4470 is manufactured in 45-nm technology at TI's own fabs. Its maximum rated frequency is 1.8 GHz, and the LPDDR2 memory works at 466 MHz on a 32-bit wide BUS in dual-channel mode. The chip's GPU is based on Imagination's PowerVR SGX544 architecture, and is clocked at 384 MHz and packs a dedicated 2D core.

Despite being a quad-core SoC, Nvidia's Tegra 3 reportedly can only do 8 billion floating point operations per second whereas the OMAP4470 can do 12 billion. Even more, the Nvidia chip reportedly only has a 5.3 GB/s memory bandwidth whereas the TI solution has a wider 7.5 GB/s bandwidth thanks to the dual-channel LPDDR2.
rgbench
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rgbench »

Charbax wrote:
According to the specs, the OMAP4470 is manufactured in 45-nm technology at TI's own fabs. Its maximum rated frequency is 1.8 GHz, and the LPDDR2 memory works at 466 MHz on a 32-bit wide BUS in dual-channel mode. The chip's GPU is based on Imagination's PowerVR SGX544 architecture, and is clocked at 384 MHz and packs a dedicated 2D core.

Despite being a quad-core SoC, Nvidia's Tegra 3 reportedly can only do 8 billion floating point operations per second whereas the OMAP4470 can do 12 billion. Even more, the Nvidia chip reportedly only has a 5.3 GB/s memory bandwidth whereas the TI solution has a wider 7.5 GB/s bandwidth thanks to the dual-channel LPDDR2.

Yes I know the specifications. The question is, does it achieve it in practice? Memory controllers rarely reach their peak, at least with CPUs. I have more experience on the server side, where we typically use benchmarks like STREAM to verify how much of the peak is being reached. I don't really believe anything the vendors say until I can verify it for myself :)

Charbax, if you have time, can you quickly run the test above on the G10 and report results?
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

I wouldn't mind seeing a video of the results from the G10 performance. My phone pushes over 5,000MB/s, so I would like to see what the G10s can do.

Return to “101 XS”