archos av500 hard drive failure

bluerum66
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

archos av500 hard drive failure

Post by bluerum66 »

Hello,
I have bought 3 different archos av500 players 2 of which had never been used and another that had just been used lightly but all 3 have frozen up on me in a few weeks unbelievable. While trying to select a file noise comes from the hard drive and its struggling to try to read the file and never actually playing it,so i press the reset button but no joy and i have done reformats on all 3 and checked for errors on hd i have uploaded the newest firmware on them it seems all 3 have failed hard drives, i would abandon this model completly but due to the superb picture quality and i like the quality of them not the thin plastic ones nothing new comes close , now i have heard of a place in america that will replace the hard drive and they say its more reliable i cant believe that the seagates archos use can be so unreliable as anyone done this and what are your thoughts about the hard drives. I hope to finally get a av500 up and running.bliss
fredc
Archos User
Archos User

Re: archos av500 hard drive failure

Post by fredc »

I bought a drive for my 500 because although I had a 100G version I wanted to use the max space available through the operating system so had a 160G programmed by them a few years back to get ~130G available on the 500.

It took a few weeks to arrive and their communication was not perfect but the drive worked fine to this day, and I kept the original 100G as a spare.

Hard drives will fail but 3 in a row seems very unreasonable as a probability. If they are still in business let us know.

p.s. I used paypal I think to have some cover.

Return to “AV500, AV700 and AV700TV”