Frozen screen

Tommo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Frozen screen

Post by Tommo »

I have been using a 605 wifi for some time, but recently I have bought an AV 500 100gb off ebay for my brother-in-law, who lives in New Zealand, where Archos devices aren't readily available. I have put in loads of music for him, and some films, but now I can't get past the opening screen, which is frozen. Device powers on and off OK, but nothing happens as well, when I connect to PC. Earlier on today, when I tested the films and music, everything played OK. I have pressed all the buttons that I thought might reset it, but with no success. I don't mind wiping everything off, if this is the answer, and someone can guide me through the process.
Thanks.
fredc
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Frozen screen

Post by fredc »

the only reset on the 500 is to hold the x button for 30 seconds.

You can get to the drive contents by-passing the boot check by booting with usb attached and the lowest menu button (menu down) held down, this enables mass storage mode without checking for errors. If your drive is physically bust it may not help, but if badly corrupted it may enable a format and error check by the pc.
Tommo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Frozen screen

Post by Tommo »

Hi fredc, I remember that you have helped me in the past, thanks for speedy reply. After giving the AV 500 a good charge I now get the "Can't read from hard drive" message on the screen. I have connected to PC as you suggest, to try and format, after some time nothing seemed to be happening, so I disconnected and held down the lower button and selected the format option. Screen said that it was formatting, but after several minutes the "Can't read from hard drive" message reappeared.
Thanks
Tommo

Return to “AV500, AV700 and AV700TV”