Archos 18C Vision

Talk about the range of Archos Vision devices in here
Decrepitude
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Archos 18C Vision

Post by Decrepitude »

Please help! The "instructions" supplied with this product are hopelessly inadequate for somebody who has never used an MP3 player before.

1. The instructions say the product will charge automatically when connected to a computer. Nowhere does it say HOW LONG it needs to be connected: maybe I am just not leaving it long enough. When connected the screen shows a thing like a short tube map - is that what it should show, not a graphic of a battery charging for example? At present, after leaving it for over 3 hours, it went completely blank after a short while and would not switch on at all until connected to the PC again. Is there a way of telling when the thing is fully charged?

2. I successfully loaded a couple of MP3 files that had been emailed to me. However, I have had no success in transferring tracks from a CD. This is not an illegal act I am talking about, the CD is not a commercial product but made by the Chorus that I sing with (4 part harmony) so that we can learn our parts in the songs. The file appears to be transferred when you open the Archos "drive" on the computer, though not in the Music folder, but does not appear on the device itself. On the computer the CD tracks have a .cda designation. Attempting to drag or copy-and-paste the files into the Music folder does not work. Will the device not recognise .cda files as music? If so, can anybody tell me a way to convert .cda files to .mp3 files? As simply as possible, please, I am an old lady!

I bought this device especially to listen to the Chorus songs on the move, and as I particularly asked in the shop for a device that could take the tracks from CDs, I assume there must be a way. Any help would be appreciated, as I am partly disabled and cannot easily get back to the shop to ask for advice.
LittleReggie
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Archos 18C Vision

Post by LittleReggie »

Hi.

If the 18C Vision is anything like the 14 Vision, then:

1. There should be a battery symbol on the screen with maybe 3 segments showing how much charge is left in the battery. During charging there should be an animated indication that charging is taking place. When fully charged (after an hour perhaps?) the 3 segments should be full and the animation should stop.

2. You need to "rip" your CD tracks to mp3. Use something like Windows Media Player (assuming you have Windows XP or Windows 7), and then copy the mp3s to the Archos. If you run Windows Media Player and pop your CD into the drive, it should guide you through the process.

Or, get your grandchild to do it for you?

Regards,
Reg.
Decrepitude
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Decrepitude »

Hi, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't have any grandchildren to do it for me!

I sorted out the CD tracks problem by using Google to find and download a music file converter, I don't really understand what I am doing, but never mind it worked. :D

The battery icon on my 18c is not in any segments that I can see, but while waiting for a reply I discovered the yellow colour started changing to black as I used it. So, when I asked the question, it must already have been fully charged and then started to lose the charge over time. Wouldn't you think the manufacturers would put in the instructions how long it takes to charge? I still don't know the answer to that, I'll have to find out by trial and error.

P.S. No, there is no indication that the battery is charging or is fully charged while it is connected to the computer, just the "tube map" (maybe meant to be electrical connections?). That wasn't changing at all, but at least I know now that when I disconnect, if the battery icon is yellow, it is charged.
LittleReggie
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by LittleReggie »

Aaah, the symbol you describe as a "tube map" is showing you that your Archos has established a USB connection with your computer, which is good.

I have just had a quick look at the 18c documentation and, yes, there is no mention of battery charge indication that I could see, only that the device should charge when plugged in to any powered computer. The claimed battery life is up to 11 hours, so anything over half that would probably be acceptible.

It looks like you have answered your own questions. You may well now be the resident expert on this device.

Regards.

Return to “Archos Vision General”