arn10g2 on the way

New Rockchip RK2918 ARM Cortex-A8 capacitive Android 2.3 capacitive tablets
viking

arn10g2 on the way

Post by viking »

Reviews and sales sites are popping up, even today - just do a google "arnova g2". And arc claims that a google market hack will be avail by end of this month.

I ordered a 4gb arnova 10g2 for under $200, but got stuck for $13 shipping due to only them accepting some gift cards. I hope I don't get stuck for another 2 x $13 for an exchange! The weird thing is they didn't ask for a credit card for the balance - I can only guess they sniffed out some other reward points. Oh well, that wipes out my electronic budget for the time being.
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
viking

Re: arn10g2 on the way

Post by viking »

Hmm, I'm kinda floundering with a few issues - is there nobody who can exchange a few tips? I may caused a few problems by switching options around, but anyway here are some very preliminary first impressions:

Well, it was cheap (Circuit City thru Amazon - be sure to find the G2 designation) and has a big screen - that is what I needed to replace my dead sino tab in a hurry. So it does make web browsing much more readable, in spite of not as good screen as an a70 (I guess it is the same as a101). It surprisingly seems better than a70 as a game platform, not only because of bigger screen but the action and response seems more smooth. It may not be faster than A70 but doesn't have the bursting of speed then micro pauses.

I like it having one of the smallest bezels, although a bit heavier than a101 which really might count since an10g2 lacks a kickstand. Although it is supposed to have double the ram and a bit faster processer, I don't get a zippy impression. I think some official tests showed it often faster than a101 but sometimes slower. Some tuning should help, but there are fewer controls to accomplish this. The speaker can buzz the plastic case until your fingers dance around.

Some apps may be poorly adapted to its Gingerbread android, and I may have to trial and error a lot of apps. For instance the browser seems to crash on this forum and elsewhere, so I tried Opera mobile (awful mismatch) and Dolphin (complex but fantastic). Adobe pdf reader can hardly display the few files it doesn't say is corrupted (works fine on a70). Arctools is now projecting arnovag2 google market a few weeks from now, so til then you can look thru Appslib and Amazon Market.

I am having a lot of problems in reading media. I never get a scan completed, and the video player chokes on very many of my files that used to work on archos vision line (like their video recordings). I expected to play less types than standard Archos, but I thought the old Vision rebrand was about the same as Arnova (they both can play ape format, unlike archos). Some of the problem is described as file corruption - maybe I have a badly shielded usb cable. Anyway with google apps I can get mortplayer and justpictures which don't require media scans.
viking

Post by viking »

viking wrote:For instance the browser seems to crash on this forum and elsewhere, so I tried Opera mobile (awful mismatch) and Dolphin (complex but fantastic).
I got working again with the below reversion to earlier flash version. Makes me think more about backing up the original configuration. I had tried with es file explorer app, but that doesn't display the flash app and also works clumsier than on Froyo. Now I tried some other app, but can't see where they put the apks. There seems to be some kind of auto backup anyway, and eventually arnova should put firmware here http://arnovatech.com/support/updates.h ... ang=en&p=2
viking wrote:Aha! I found a fix, at least for me. I had allowed an update to flash 11, so I tried uninstalling that with settings/applications. At first it looked like no flash was left. But then I used the regular browser, and it somehow brought flash 10.3 back to life and worked.

The reason that dolphin browser didn't crash is because it doesn't normally run flash until you click on an arrow to permit it. It would then crash, and that gave me this idea. Now it works too. Maybe this was also related to trying to run arctools, which fails.
dj273
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by dj273 »

where are you all buying this from. I have been looking all over the web. I live in the US. Help me out here :evil:
viking

Post by viking »

Answered in your other thread. Oh, I noticed the screen seems to like more of a smoosh of your finger rather than a tap... that is, a bit longer touch than the A70 needs. The viewing angles are less bad if you keep the brightness up - I wish they kept controls for that handy like they do for the volume, but I have to do a long press of home button to bounce in and out of settings. Also if you try to keep music playing while doing some other silent task, it more often cuts off the music than on gen8 archos.
viking

Post by viking »

viking wrote: I like it having one of the smallest bezels, although a bit heavier than a101 which really might count since an10g2 lacks a kickstand.
I can hold it vertically in one hand by grasping the opposing sides! It is a stretch, and maybe my hand is bigger than others, but this allows a balanced grasp without having it trying to twist out of one hand holding on the front bezel. And the other hand can scroll and click. Probably the only other 10 incher in existance where this can be done is archos 101 gen8, which apparently is lighter and less likely to slip down.

I can thumb type pretty good (even horizontally in an extreme stretch) but I find the stock keyboards pretty poor for this. There seem to be several, that keep me hunting to find a tab key that half the time disappears.

Return to “Arnova 10 G2, Arnova 9 G2, Arnova 8 G2, Arnova 7 G2”