Any other user have this screen defect?

8" 4:3 1024x768 capacitive, OMAP4460 Dual-core, 3G-optional tablet.
BenMars
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Any other user have this screen defect?

Post by BenMars »

I've bought a 3G key. Nothing has changed.
KNight
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by KNight »

banneduser wrote:I am happy so far with what they did to it. My repaired tablet is noticeably stiffer and heavier. They must have improved the internal case design. And they *almost* fixed the screen defect as well. It is still in the same location and visible on lighter backgrounds. But nowhere as a visual problem as before. It is more spread out and less noticeable then before.
Cool, could you possibly measure the weight on a kitchen scale? Would be interesting to know if there really is a difference, or if only feels heavier as a mental result of it being stiffer?

Come to think of it, maybe it is a bit overkill to start looking for a kitchen scale. I seem to be stuck in work mode, in which I don't accept anything as fact if it has not be proven by doing a measurments... :?
And for this minor thing I'm sure your word is quite enough. :)
unahappyfan
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by unahappyfan »

:cry: hi I just had my Archos 80 delivered and although it does not have the screen ripple by the speaker it still has it by the USB Port(even when just placing on a flat surface). Will be calling them tomorrow to sort out a refund.
Bit unhappy to say the least as they assured me on the phone before ordering that they are not sending any more out with the defects :cry:

Out of interest this is the second one I have had in 5 days (first one from a uk retailer took back same day as had ripples by speaker and top left) This one is from Archos direct and I believe the plastic dummy 3g dongle cover may have extra strengthening/supportive 'ribs' inside compared with the previous one I purchased on Saturday. Unfortunatly does not make a difference with the rippling effect.

Fingers crossed will update you with how it goes
unahappyfan
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by unahappyfan »

Well just back from the post office have sent it back to Archos at my own cost (despite being told they would pay for return by technical) hopefully will get my refund in a few days. Now waiting to hear from any other customers that there are some devices out there defect free before I spend £200 for a 3rd time lol
Yorky
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Yorky »

I have been following the screen defect issues closely and as I still wanted this model as a present decided to order directly from Archos. It arrived yesterday and as its a present decided to open it up to check for the defect. It's perfect, no problems at all. Don't know if I'm just lucky or I have the latest batch with the improvement but there is not even a hint of a problem, i'v put pressure on the back at the 3G port, laid it flat, basically tried everything and not a hint of the problem.
banneduser
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by banneduser »

KNight wrote:Cool, could you possibly measure the weight on a kitchen scale? Would be interesting to know if there really is a difference, or if only feels heavier as a mental result of it being stiffer?
I didn't weight mine before sending it back. But, it is now right at 17 oz. And some on the old reviews have it at 1.02 lbs or 16.3 oz. The Archos website has it at 17 oz. So don't know for certain. Might be just psychological.
bmar29
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by bmar29 »

I had that extremely flawed model when simply placing it on a flat surface caused the screen to go crazy. The refunded model has no signs of the ripple effect unless I actually press on the back. but during normal use it doesn't exist. It appears the didn't fix the problem but they did make it significant;y better
Yorky
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Yorky »

bmar29 wrote:I had that extremely flawed model when simply placing it on a flat surface caused the screen to go crazy. The refunded model has no signs of the ripple effect unless I actually press on the back. but during normal use it doesn't exist. It appears the didn't fix the problem but they did make it significant;y better
I dont get the problem even when pressing the back.
Spilby
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Spilby »

I bought a new Archos G9 80 Turbo version yesterday, and the problem is still there. When i hold the tablet with my hands, or put on a table, 2 areas have the ripple effect. Archos said that they fixes the problem, but it's not true. The Turbo version is the newest version that they sell, and the problem isn't solved!

Is strange, but they don't sell the 80 Turbo in their offical web store. I bought the tablet in a mediamarkt. Is possible that they sell the last units with this problem, and when finished the stock, sell the good tablets in their web store? Pfff, i'm very angry, but I don't like how it smells...
Yorky wrote:
bmar29 wrote:I had that extremely flawed model when simply placing it on a flat surface caused the screen to go crazy. The refunded model has no signs of the ripple effect unless I actually press on the back. but during normal use it doesn't exist. It appears the didn't fix the problem but they did make it significant;y better
I dont get the problem even when pressing the back.
Yorky
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Yorky »

I'm baffled by that given the Turbo is a newer model. I purchased direct as they stated they were fixing it and as such I thought I would get the latest batch. How can mine be 100% ok if there is still a problem ?
banneduser
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by banneduser »

Spilby wrote:I bought a new Archos G9 80 Turbo version yesterday, and the problem is still there. When i hold the tablet with my hands, or put on a table, 2 areas have the ripple effect. Archos said that they fixes the problem, but it's not true. The Turbo version is the newest version that they sell, and the problem isn't solved!
Make sure the USB cover on the back in tight in place. When mine came back from RMA I played with it and the screen defect was much better. I then took off the cover to see if they modified the USB connection and noticed it was much worse without the cover. Putting the cover back on I didn't get it fully snapped in. And the defect stayed bad. Pushing it a bit to make sure it was tight improved things.

Just an idea.

Charbox has mentioned elsewhere that the fix is a modified cover. I had wondered about that when I first came to the board as 'arrasmith'. But, that account got deleted after I mentioned it. So I can't link to my first advice on modifying the cover.

Anyway, making sure the cover is nice and snug is at least an idea.
Hawthorn
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Hawthorn »

Hi,
got my 80 G9 last week and so far I have not seen a ripple. I am left handed but tried right handed and still no ripple(s)
I bought mine from QVC in the UK so wouldn't expect it to be from the latest Chinese manufacture.
Spilby
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Spilby »

I change my G9 80 Turbo 1.2GHz and test 3 tablets (one from the shop exposition, and other 2 from the store, all in mediamarkt) and ALL OF THEM have the ripple effect in the screen. :( :( :(

Maybe I must wait some weeks until the shop sell all the tablets and ask for more, because the actual tablets still have the screen problem. I'm reading other forums and a lot of people have tablets with the screen problem too.
viledin
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by viledin »

Mine has the screen ripple, not too badly but enough to be very annoying. I bought mine in France... naively thinking that this problem had been sorted. :roll: Oddly enough when out Christmas shopping in Bordeaux yesterday I noticed that in 4 different shops they didn't have this model on sale at all, but they did have the 101? ;)
I am in communication with Archos to see what they are willing to do about it. I don't want to send it back to Amazon fr for a replacement in case I get one with the defect even worse!
I am the only one likely to use it so I doubt that I would break it or make it worse, and I can avoid the ripple by holding it with my left hand fingers away from the upper quadrant of the back casing, but IMHO it should be a recall job on all units.
ifb
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by ifb »

This is an old thread but I would just like to say that the 80 G9 I received last week does not have this problem - pressing anywhere on the bezel. Only if you press the back fairly hard around the area of the 3G USB cover can you force this effect and it's a relatively minor problem, so Archos does seem to have addressed the problem (thank goodness!).

Ian
Archos 80 G9
Samsung Galaxy Note
sdellart
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sdellart »

Yesterday i bought from the archos store online my 80 g9 turbo.I have also this problem with the screen defect but i also have a bigger one and i need your help.My screen instead of black colour shows only the red!! I cant watch a video,i cant set a wallpaper with black because everything is shown in red.I checked the screen settings in case there was something there to adjust but i found nothing.Is there anything i can do or i must send it back.What is the procedure i should follow?

Return to “Archos 80 G9”