Skype on 101 ??

10.1" 1280x800 wide-view capacitive, OMAP4460 Dual-core, 3G-optional tablet.
Georgie-boy
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Skype on 101 ??

Post by Georgie-boy »

Hi Guys,
My Son has a G9-101.
He seems to be having trouble getting Skype to work - properly.

He's downloaded a couple of versions from various places, but to no avail.

We tried it out again yesterday, but the audio was terrible. When the Video was enabled the audio was undecipherable/unusable. The Video was also very bad, with the images pixelating all the time, freezing & flickering etc.

When he boots up Skype, he gets the message 'this version of skype is un-verified for this tablet'.
As soon as he went on the lap-top version, all was well again, with great results, & still connected to my same machine.

HeÔÇÖs going abroad soon & rather than drag his laptop around, he decided to buy a 101 instead, just to keep in touch with us. Obviously, this is no good if it doesnÔÇÖt work.

i/ Should Skype work properly on these things ?
ii/ Would he need a specific version or source ?
iii/ Is this usual for Archos v Skype ?

many thanks
Last edited by Georgie-boy on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
crowcrow
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Skype - 101

Post by crowcrow »

just as a note Skype for Android seems generally pretty lame. I have a Dell Steak, which is a decently powerful phone and similarly even voice calls drop and are unusable. in the same room on the same wifi, my iPod touch (which I hate btw) is perfect on Skype. I actually use my iPod as my main business line via Skype, with a plug in handset and its perfect. better than my laptop in fact

not sure why android Skype is so bad, but got a feeling that now they are Microsoft own we aren't going to be getting any more updates, or at least not with the same priority as WindowsPhone7.

there are some other voip apps for android that allow you to make and recieve calls from Skype numbers, so maybe those?
syscheck
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Skype on 101 ??

Post by syscheck »

I only got the voice/chat functions working with Skype. When I start the video, the whole tablet needs a reset to get the webcam-function to work again.
Looks like crowcrow's info is correct...
Archos 101 G9 Turbo 16GB 1,2GHz
Georgie-boy
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Skype on 101 ??

Post by Georgie-boy »

Thanks guys,

I dropped Archos-UK a line. Their reply:
Unfortunately Skype have not yet released full support for these products. There is unfortunately nothing Archos are able to do, the developers of the application may be aware of a solution, although we are unable to provide support for third party applications IÔÇÖm afraid.
Matt Longhurst ÔÇô Archos UK

Does anyone have a contact email address for Skype please ? They seem to hide it pretty well !

Return to “Archos 101 G9”