Official 4.0.26 released - report bugs

General topics about the Archos G9 series if those topics don't fit in a specific model category below. Also discuss your ideas, suggestions, hopes, wishes, rumors, informations in here.
a32quaeler
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Official 4.0.26 released - report bugs

Post by a32quaeler »

IByte wrote:Is there a way to 'disable' an app, short of uninstalling it? Media Center keeps coming back whenever I unlock my tablet, making it hardly responsive until I kill the process :(.
Go to settings-> Apps -> All
select the app (media center and possibly also media storage which is the one running in the background to provide the contents to all media related apps (audio/video/image gallery)) and then choose deactivate.

The icons disappear but the app is still there and not restarted after boot. If you need it, you can always reactivate it from the same settings entry. It is listed at the bottom off the "all apps" index when deactivated.

Of course this way the stock video/audio/gallery apps don't work anymore and you need alternative programs.
Nigel
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Nigel »

IByte wrote:Is there a way to 'disable' an app, short of uninstalling it? Media Center keeps coming back whenever I unlock my tablet, making it hardly responsive until I kill the process :(.
Most built-in apps such as the media player and Cameracan be disabled (but not uninstalled), whereas other apps can be uninstalled (but not disabled) - and there are some apps that can neither be disabled nor uninstalled. To disable a built-in app, go to the Apps section in the settings, click the ALL tab, scroll down to see the app you want to disable, click on it and then click the disable button. A slight warning: disabled apps appear at the bottom of the list of apps! Also, the icons for disabled apps disappear from the home screens, and will not reappear when you re-enable them.

(It would be nice to have a way to disable a downloaded app, so that it can be re-enabled without having to re-install it, but Google seems to have left this out. I guess they assumed that you would always be online, but that argument falls down if you are travelling abroad.)
G9 80 8GB 1.0GHz, firmware 4.0.28
a32quaeler
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by a32quaeler »

Nigel wrote:...To disable a built-in app, go to the Apps section in the settings, click the ALL tab, scroll down to see the app you want to disable, click on it and then click the disable button. A slight warning: disabled apps appear at the bottom of the list of apps! Also, the icons for disabled apps disappear from the home screens, and will not reappear when you re-enable them...
Is there any specific reason why you write exactly the same answer to that question that I wrote 6 hours ago? Was my posting so unreadable???
Nigel
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Nigel »

a32quaeler wrote:Is there any specific reason why you write exactly the same answer to that question that I wrote 6 hours ago? Was my posting so unreadable???
Yes, there was a good reason. I tried responding last night, but the site started giving server errors. I tried again today, and this time the message got through. In the meantime, you had been able to make your post.

Of course, I could have backed out, checked to see if there had been a reply in the meantime, and amended/cancelled my post accordingly. However, (a) it says no harm to say the same thing twice, in different ways, (b) the G9 section of the site is relatively quiet these days, and (c) it was easier to just do it rather than faff around and maybe end up having to retype things.
G9 80 8GB 1.0GHz, firmware 4.0.28
IByte
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by IByte »

Ah, thank you both, I just used that feature. Now let's see whether my tablet will behave again, or whether something else was the cause of it.
Using Archos 80 G9 (1GHz 8GB)
lbocchio
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by lbocchio »

lbocchio wrote:lbocchio wrote:

I just installed the 4.0.26 fw made available today in the US and seems to be working smoothly. Media Center is back and memory usage appears to be lower.

Thanks to the Archos staff.

Also, booting time has improved and is around 54 secs now

After using my tablet for over a week, I notice that even when MediaCenter is not crashing, many times it sends the message that it is not responding and I have to press the Wait button twice until it actually starts. Music playback sometimes stops for 2 or 3 seconds without reason and it takes up to 5 seconds to refresh the track information while using a playlist. Less important iss that Music doesn't recognize album art from iTag Pro, Album Art Grabber or Cover Download.

Video somtimes requires up to 10 secs to begin playing while Loading Video appears on screen. Transition to the following video takes about 5 secs.

None of this problems playing Music and Videos happened with fw 4.0.7
I don't know if anyone else has the Google Music app, Maps and Google + apps starting every time you play music.
101G9, 1.5 Ghz, 250GB, 512MB RAM
ReneNL
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ReneNL »

After installing 4.0.26 on my 10.1 Gen9 I noticed a slow response I several apps.
I have a SD-card 32 GByte with quite some music files installed.

After a while the systems response a bit faster. But each time it comes out sleep-mode the lag is there again.
I have just switched of the Media storage app. Now the indexing SD-card media files icon is not showing any-more. And at first usage the systems feels better.

Another problem I encounter since the upgrade is loss of WiFi connection. Apps complain about no network connection and the WiFI icon turns grey. Switching Off/On Wifi helps to get the connection back.
Almost each time after wake-up from sleep I have to reactivate the WiFi.
Any one else heving similar problem?

I had neither of these problems when running on 4.0.25. I would like to return to that firmware to double check that the described problems would disappear. But unfortunately downgrading is not possible :cry:

I was quite happy with my tablet, but last week it is no fun to use.
10.1 G9 & 32 Gbyte SD-card
IByte
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by IByte »

I have also noticed the need to disable and enable Wi-Fi with this firmware version sometimes, especially when trying to reconnect to public networks. The network will be in the list as "Saved", but won't go to "Connected" until I restart Wi-Fi that way.

Preliminary results show a bit of improvement in responsiveness with Media Center disabled.
AfAX
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by AfAX »

a32quaeler wrote:
AfAX wrote:CANNOT see the screen of the Archos 80G9 16 on television anymore :-(. (via mini-HDMI on Archos to HDMI on TV)
Could you be a bit more precise? What kind of TV are you using (brand, resolution), with which of the previous firmware versions did it work?

For my A80G9 + 4.0.26 , HDMI works fine for different types of displays (2 Samsung Full-HD TVs, DELL LCD monitor, Acer projector, HTP projector, LG TV,...). I use HDMI a lot. It does however work less reliable for a specific LCD monitor for which it worked much better in 4.0.7 (wrong resolution selected). 4.0.24/25 had serious troubles with several of these devices but with 4.0.26 that was more or less fixed...
Thank you for the reply.
* It's a Sony HD-Ready LCD TV, model = KDL-40V2500
* I bought the tablet 3 months ago, and it worked with all FW versions till the version of last week (4.0.24? ). I use it to look at movies on the television a couple of times / week, but the screen stays black now
* Something to mention too, if I chose the HDMI channel on the TV and the tablet is plugged in via the HDMI cable, I canNOT change the channel of the television anymore until I remove the tablet from the HDMI cable.... (or power off/ power on the TV)
* I already tried several reboots, putting on the TV before the tablet, ot putting on the TV after the tablet, ... Nothing workks, the screen stays black (with the channel nr in the upper left of the screen off course)
ReneNL
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ReneNL »

[quote="IByte"]I have also noticed the need to disable and enable Wi-Fi with this firmware version sometimes, especially when trying to reconnect to public networks. The network will be in the list as "Saved", but won't go to "Connected" until I restart Wi-Fi that way.

For me the WiFi status info indicates connected. The system tray icon is sometimes completely grey, and sometimes it is partly blue indicating signal strength. Applications that I often use are WordFeud, Ruzzle, Drawsomething, Browser and Tweetcaster all of these hamper from the WiFi connection failures. As far as I noticed the WiFI connection is gone after some minutes being idle. Tonight I will try my tablet with another private WiFi access point.

The result is whole evening no WiFi connection problems. leaving tablet sleep idle for several hours at wake up the connection works fine. Now i`ll try to find out what the difference is. Wpa2 security overthere and wpa at home.
Played with wpa and wpa2 setting no result. I also changed the WiFi channel setting from fixed on ch6 into automatic. No improvement.
Last edited by ReneNL on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
10.1 G9 & 32 Gbyte SD-card
IByte
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by IByte »

Another report: GPS is sometimes unavailable (no bars in GPS Status) after screen orientation changes or killing processes, and stays that way until an Android reboot. I think this problem was present before this firmware revision, though.

To get back to my earlier subject, my tablet does seem faster with Media Center disabled.
ylavi
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ylavi »

ylavi wrote:In 4.0.26 I still have the same power problem as I had with 4.0.25.
I leave it sleeping when I go to work in the morning and in the evening when I come home I find it shut down. It came back on with 40% battery so it doesn't seem like it shut down because the battery was low.
Other than that things are somewhat better.
No-one responded to what I wrote but I'll just update that it doesn't seem to have been a serious issue... I realised this morning that my Wi-Fi was set not to go off when sleeping (a setting I tried due to the Wi-Fi issues in 4.0.7) and having turned that off I only lost about 4% battery while I was at work.
fp35wj0
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by fp35wj0 »

I never used the calculator too. :badgrin:
zandoli
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by zandoli »

zandoli wrote:My YouTube problem persists on my home network only.
Then it must be compatibility issue with my Archos and router?

I have realised that I can force the app to start buffering if I turn off wifi on my Tablet and then turn on while YouTube is trying to load video. It starts buffering at the time of reconnecting.

Likewise I get the same result if I change a setting on the router, when the Tablet reconnects to router the video starts to buffer.

Here is a Logcat
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4hlgbmw0qsqct ... s161ms.zip

My router is a Medialink MWN-WAPR150N.
I have the Archos G9 101 1.5GHz 1GB, 8GB .

ps. My other devices work without a problem.
I really hope Bragon can assist

I switched router to '11g only' and Youtube now works good.

I tried many router settings. Only this change helped my situation.
8+32GB A101S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES1.1
mls
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by mls »

Edit: Try posting again with coherent thoughts that will follow the rules of the forum.
Archos 101 G9 8G classic (512M RAM)
Nightsurfer
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Nightsurfer »

mls wrote:And there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON why the 101 XS users should be getting Jelly Bean while those of us with G9 devices are still being forced to use firmware that is still barely up to a Beta testing level...
What makes you think that Archos' initial 2-3 releases of the "Jelly Bean" firmware for the 101 XS will be more stable than 4.0.26 for the G9? ;)

But seriously, after I have used the tablet for some more time now, I need to revise my initial statement that (almost) everything would be ok with the 4.0.26 firmware: I have encountered several severe issues over the last two weeks, like...
  • unexpected reboots,
  • screen "freezing" (only pressing the power button for 10 second helped),
  • tablet not waking up again after standby (blank screen; only pressing the power button for 10 second helped),
  • GPS not working any longer after screen orientation change (functional again after reboot),
  • media player crashing with no obvious reason.
I would not really call this a "stable" firmware release.
chm
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by chm »

I am thinking until management, supervisor, executive in Archos will be like Yolanda R Archos product will be same quality:(

If supervisor Yolanda doesn't know what product Archos make or thinking customers so stupid that don't know what they have:

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=67567

FW will be beta level if outsourcing to India, from India to China , from China to Russia ....
It's is impossible stable software....

Same with HW problems 3G USB connection, GPS, screen, power, ...

Thanks Yolanda ...
birdiezzz
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by birdiezzz »

My wife bought a cheap tablet made in China for 79,- euro.
It works better and more stable than my last Archos G9 101 after FW upgrade.
I gave my Archos to a friend, but even he gave it to another person, and he also bought a better working one.
No normal person wants to work endlessly with a non functional tablet.
And with no hope for a solution on short notice

I really can't understand why Archos is killing their position in the tablet world in this way.
This is not a good product for a nice cheaper price anymore, but a not working product.
It's the same as what happened with the A.C.Ryan player product that couldn't get a working FW either.
Today no shop here will sell them anymore, because the shop owners don't want the trouble anymore.
The same with Archos. No shop is selling them here anymore.
Why would you want this product, when you can buy a much better supported tablet for little more money?

If I had the position of head of Archos, I wouldn't sleep before I had repaired all the problems, because the users have a right to better after-sale service than this.
Starting with better FW developers, that know what they are doing, and are really interested in a good support.
But if you even don't know your own products .........
mls
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by mls »

Nightsurfer wrote:
mls wrote:And there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON why the 101 XS users should be getting Jelly Bean while those of us with G9 devices are still being forced to use firmware that is still barely up to a Beta testing level...
What makes you think that Archos' initial 2-3 releases of the "Jelly Bean" firmware for the 101 XS will be more stable than 4.0.26 for the G9? ;)
I was not in any way saying that new Jelly Bean firmware for the 101 XS was any better or even anywhere near stable.

The point I was trying to make though is that Archos is a small company with very few people working for it. They very likely have only a small handful of people (maybe even only one person) doing all the firmware upgrades for all of their products.

Now, if they actually have separate groups (or individuals) working on firmware separately for each device that would be fine, but I doubt they can even afford to be doing that. So, my line of thinking is that they simply need to stay focused on one thing at a time until they get it at least close to working properly without side tracking on working on something else. That can only create total confusion for everyone, including the programmer(s).

If they do have separate people working on firmware for each device that would be great. Otherwise, stay focused on only one devices firmware until it is actually anywhere near working correctly before working on any other firmware for any other device. At least then they would only have a few small minor bugs to fix instead of the complete mess they made for us G9 owners.
mls
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by mls »

mls wrote:Edit: Try posting again with coherent thoughts that will follow the rules of the forum.
While I do not mind if any MOD does delete anything I post... Let's take a look at how at things here...

First of, "coherent"... say what? I listed exactly and in very accurate detail the specific problem, but apparently the MOD totally ignored that completely.

As for "the rules of the forum"... Hmm, how about following these then:

'''A staff member will send you a Private Message (PM) with the contents of your Post immediately prior to deleting it.""
DID NOT HAPPEN!

""Deleting the swearing from the post""
DID NOT HAPPEN!

""Bashing, Name-calling, Insulting""
OK, so maybe I got a bit carried away there, but a MOD could have just edited out whatever they did not feel appropriate instead of deleting the whole post.

Return to “General G9 discussions”