Official 4.0.26 released - report bugs

General topics about the Archos G9 series if those topics don't fit in a specific model category below. Also discuss your ideas, suggestions, hopes, wishes, rumors, informations in here.
Goner
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Official 4.0.26 released - report bugs

Post by Goner »

Agj_h wrote:With .26 I am still having on again, off again issues with media player.
I notice a lot of problems, complaints and bugfixes for the media centre/player (?)
To be honest, I have never used it !? I'm using BSPlayer and VLC to playback videos (TV series in .avi or .mp4 mostly) from SD card and my Synology NAS (Samba share over wi-fi) and have never had any problems.
A80G9Turbo 1.5GHz - 1GB RAM - 16GB
Agj_h
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Agj_h »

I've tried the free version of bsplayer and looks good so far. it closes out back to dashboard at end of each video - Is this just the free version doing this by design? happy to pay for it as long as this isn't usual behaviour.

also I noticed mxplayer just got an update so now plays more video types with hw acceleration....
Andrew
500gb a5a
G9 80 16gb 4.0.28
wolftec
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by wolftec »

I've just bought my brand new 80 G9 Turbo 16G in Portugal, my unit came with FW 4.0.5., and i'm getting a notification to install 4.0.25, not 4.0.26

Do i have to install the 4.0.25 first in order to get 4.0.26?
16Gb 80G9 Turbo
jnik
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jnik »

Video app still doesn't properly play back VOBsub subs in mkv file, subs "stick" like in 4.0.25 (but were fine in 4.0.7).
endgame
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by endgame »

OK, I went ahead and installed 4.0.26.
So far it is not a disaster, but I do regret upgrading.

The music app has a real problem of displaying the cover art of different albums. Some albums for which the album art exists aren't displayed at all (was OK in 4.0.7). Some are missing the art when in party shuffle mode. Curious enough, when controlling the archos through the archos remote app on my Samsung Galaxy, the art is displayed in the Samsung correctly while not being displayed in the Archos. BTW, Google music app shows the covers without a problem, but it has a tendency to stutter.

I have the 250GB 1.5Ghz 0.5GB version, and on many occasions I need to stop different apps due to low memory (which wasn't the case in 4.0.7)

The TV remote control is nice, although I'm not sure how to prevent the TV from starting up every time I turn my Archos on. I sometimes just want to hear music through my receiver, ideas?
80 G9 250Gb rooted stock 4.0.7
danzeb
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by danzeb »

Goner wrote:
Agj_h wrote:With .26 I am still having on again, off again issues with media player.
I notice a lot of problems, complaints and bugfixes for the media centre/player (?)
To be honest, I have never used it !? I'm using BSPlayer and VLC to playback videos (TV series in .avi or .mp4 mostly) from SD card and my Synology NAS (Samba share over wi-fi) and have never had any problems.
Correct, there is not reason to use the Android/Archos media player if a user does not like the way it works. Just go to the Google Play store and search on Player or Media Player or Audio Player or Video Player. There are dozens of alternate choices for audio and video players to choose from.
danzeb
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by danzeb »

Installation of 4.0.26 firmware went smoothly on my 80 g9 8GB. One of the few problems I had with 4.0.25 was that 3D Labyrinth game would crash. I now works fine with 4.0.26. I appreciate the fact that Archos constantly works to update and improve the firmware. If I notice any new problems I'll post them.
spicnspan7
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by spicnspan7 »

danzeb wrote:
Goner wrote:
Correct, there is not reason to use the Android/Archos media player if a user does not like the way it works. Just go to the Google Play store and search on Player or Media Player or Audio Player or Video Player. There are dozens of alternate choices for audio and video players to choose from.
People who got the 250gb model like me prefer the stock media center because not only it looks better but it is also easier to organize the media file especially if you got thousands of them. And it was working perfectly on 4.0.7 (there's no reason as well to mess it). Not to mention the time we wasted on tagging media art and buying their codecs.
a32quaeler
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by a32quaeler »

I posted already on Wednesday that the 4.0.26 works and looks stable on my A80G9 (Turbo 1.2 GHz 16GB flash) but I have to revoke that now.

I didn't have issues with the media center or media storage app in any of the previous versions. I own my A80 since a year or so have many updates behind me (3.2.69 was the first one) and always simply clear the relevant app caches when updating... But now there is a serious issue with 4.0.26:

After 2 days of moderate use with the official 4.0.26 (plus 4 days with the .26-pre-release test version) with no big issues I had a kind of near-brick experience with my A80. For no obvious reason (no new apps or media files), the A80 froze completely about 3-5 second after completed boot when the new notification icon for the media storage file scanning appeared. That's not only a crash of media center/storage but a complete freeze of the system; homescreen turned black (icons still displayed but nothing else) or white with showing no reaction on anything. Long power button press to switch off worked at least. I fiddled around for some time trying to repair the system including re-installing the 4.0.26 from the recovery system menu which worked but did not help.

I don't like to wipe my A80 since I have lots of apps, files and settings optimized over the past year but that would have been the next step. However, with an additionally inserted SD card which delayed the media scanning app for a few more seconds and some training with an other android device, I managed to enter within the short available time span into the settings/apps/all to stop and deactivate the media storage app (and the media center). Now the system works again - without the archos stock media players and gallery of course.

I use BS player and poweramp for video and music which are working very well but obviously, that is not the way it should be. I was always quite happy that archos updated their firmware so quickly and also experiments with new functions (that's a matter of taste if you prefer stable systems over new functionalities) but now I'm really disappointed by archos for the first time for releasing such dangerous firmwares into the wild :(
jiyong
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by jiyong »

I upgraded my Archos 80 8GB without problems. Memory consumption is much better now. Inserting a micro SD card seems to slow down the tablet when it has a lot of media files. Once the scanning is finished, the slow down is gone.
corvus1
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by corvus1 »

Since the upgrade I cannot connect the device on my PC as hard drive via USB and cannot copy files on it. Any solutions? I can just connect in media device mode where I see all the folders, but I cannot read or copy files. Could it be a windows problem and what kind of problem could it be. Archos do not have official xp drivers to install in windows. Before the new update it worked fine, but I cannot eliminate a possible windows problem as I reinstalled my windows in the same day I upgraded my archos and just before the update. After connecting the archos device windows saw it and installed it as an archos device, but as I already said with no possibility to see files on it, but I just see the folders. Now I can just copy files via the wifi but it is very slow.
mls
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by mls »

corvus1 wrote:Since the upgrade I cannot connect the device on my PC... Could it be a windows problem and what kind of problem could it be... but I cannot eliminate a possible windows problem as I reinstalled my windows in the same day I upgraded my archos and just before the update.
Try totally shutting down both the computer and the tablet. I'm sure you know how to shut down Windows LOL. On the tablet, press and hold the power button for 3 to 5 seconds until a menu appears and then select Power off.

Then start up both device and give them say maybe 5 minutes to allow them to get fully functional before connecting the tablet to the computer. Windows XP tends to be really nit picky about things, while Windows 7 (especially the 64 bit version) tends to be just plain weird about things at times. [I mostly still use my Win XP computer because half of the software I use does not run correctly (if at all) on my Win 7 64bit computer]

Not to mention that I have yet to see Microsoft's stupid MTP USB connection method ever work reliably. Just screws up way to often. Really wish Archos (and other companies) would default to MSC and only have MTP as an option (instead of forcing everyone to use that crappy MTP mode).
Archos 101 G9 8G classic (512M RAM)
danzeb
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by danzeb »

corvus1 wrote:Since the upgrade I cannot connect the device on my PC as hard drive via USB and cannot copy files on it. Any solutions? I can just connect in media device mode where I see all the folders, but I cannot read or copy files. Could it be a windows problem and what kind of problem could it be. Archos do not have official xp drivers to install in windows. Before the new update it worked fine, but I cannot eliminate a possible windows problem as I reinstalled my windows in the same day I upgraded my archos and just before the update. After connecting the archos device windows saw it and installed it as an archos device, but as I already said with no possibility to see files on it, but I just see the folders. Now I can just copy files via the wifi but it is very slow.
Sorry I don't have a solution but I can tell you I just tried connecting via USB to my Windows XP PC and file transfer worked fine. PC saw the "internal Storage" folder and I could select subfolders and drag and drop files with no problem. If you have Bluetooth you could try that.
Nigel
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Nigel »

@Danzeb,
spicnspan7 wrote:
danzeb wrote:there is not reason to use the Android/Archos media player if a user does not like the way it works. Just go to the Google Play store and search on Player or Media Player or Audio Player or Video Player. There are dozens of alternate choices for audio and video players to choose from.
People who got the 250gb model like me prefer the stock media center because not only it looks better but it is also easier to organize the media file especially if you got thousands of them. And it was working perfectly on 4.0.7 (there's no reason as well to mess it). Not to mention the time we wasted on tagging media art and buying their codecs.
Also, if you have the A80 the Archos video player can change the format and do widescreen over HDMI; AFAIK, no other player does this.

@Archos, I have upgraded to 4.0.26, and am no longer having the indexing problems with media server. However, after letting the indexer run to completion, I tried playing a video that I had earlier been able to run with honeycomb and earlier ICS releases, and after a few minutes it locked up my A80: I had to hard-reboot by pressing the power button for 10 seconds. It may be relevant that the video was being streamed from a Linux/Samba fileserver on my home network; I was not using the HDMI.
Last edited by Nigel on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
G9 80 8GB 1.0GHz, firmware 4.0.28
IByte
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by IByte »

Since installing 4.0.26, I often notice a lot of lag and App Not Responding messages. It feels like this wasn't the case back when I was on .25.
Using Archos 80 G9 (1GHz 8GB)
Wrwolvz
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Wrwolvz »

One bug found so far with my Archos 80 250G Turbo since the update to 4.0.26.
The tablet freezes after letting "TuneIn Radio" run for a while.
I had to force a reboot to unfreeze it.
Last edited by Wrwolvz on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
zandoli
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by zandoli »

-The 'touchscreen not responding after sleep' bug has returned.

-Occasionally, after sleep, black screen with back-light appears.

A reboot is then necessary for tablet to act normally.
8+32GB A101S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES1.1
johnjazz
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by johnjazz »

Downloaded the update but cannot install. Message says cannot verify update not for this device 207 (or something similar). Any advice?
stouffa
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by stouffa »

I got the same message last night, has me a tad puzzled too!
viking

Post by viking »

paganino wrote:
HaCo wrote:I tried to install, got an error after download that it was not for my device.

I'm on the 4.0.24 right now.

Same for me at the first attempt. Try to re-downloading it.
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115

Return to “General G9 discussions”