Official 4.0.26 released - report bugs

General topics about the Archos G9 series if those topics don't fit in a specific model category below. Also discuss your ideas, suggestions, hopes, wishes, rumors, informations in here.
robinhood
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Official 4.0.26 released - report bugs

Post by robinhood »

http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/gen9_4. ... os_it4.aos

Version 4.0.26 - November 21th, 2012

Media libraries: fix crash during indexing caused by music that has metadata year that evaluates to 0
Media libraries: add notification indicating scanning is in process
Display: better detect screen resolution on HDMI output for some DVI monitors
Settings: display correct application size in the Settings->Applications->Running apps
Video: fix playback for some VOB files
Audio: fix sound glitches on various applications that are constantly changing sample rate
Hard drive based products: restore fast boot on hard drive based devices
Hard drive based products: fix loss of hard drive or 3G USB port after suspend happening sometimes
A80 G9 Turbo 250GB 1.5 GHz
deet
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Official 4.0.26 released

Post by deet »

Yet another opportunity to brick your tablet with no chance of return to an earlier, working version of the firmware.
A80S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES.1.1
robinhood
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by robinhood »

deet wrote:Yet another opportunity to brick your tablet with no chance of return to an earlier, working version of the firmware.
may well be. But inital checks shows good improvements. 40 Sec to startup from cold (I have a 250 GB HDD version), screen smooth, Videos seems to play okay.. GPS working, 3G is working. The system monitor also shows more free memory, not sure if this is just a fluke or by design. If this stays like this for the next few days I suppose I will be happy. Not sure how long will the battery last though..
A80 G9 Turbo 250GB 1.5 GHz
a32quaeler
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by a32quaeler »

Well you are probably right not to blindly install Archos firmwares anymore...

however, I went through all firmware test versions since the initial 4.0.24/.25 disaster including the 4.0.26-pre-release-test from Nov 16th. I'm running this "official" 4.0.26 now for an hour or so but it is obviously more or less identical to the pre-test one. For me everything looks stable and it works relatively smooth. GPS, 3G, WiFi etc. work, HDMI still not as reliable in correct parameter detection for non-TV displays as it was in 4.0.7 but it is at least usable. No crashes so far and media center works (but that was ok for me in the last versions anyhow). I noticed an improvement in sound-output stability with the last two firmwares - no more of that annoying stuttering as in the original .25.

I think this version is ok and I currently do not feel a strong urge to go back to 4.0.7 (which is presumably not possible without rooting with this one as well).
endgame
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by endgame »

I think it prudent not to install this firmware unless you've made the mistake to previously install 4.0.24/.25.

Why does it come down to either rooting or staying in a bad firmware? Why do Archos prevent users to from downgrading to old stable if and when they change their minds (assuming their device wasn't bricked due to the firmware install to begin with). Does anybody have any input on that?
80 G9 250Gb rooted stock 4.0.7
Goner
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Official 4.0.26 released - report bugs

Post by Goner »

Great !
Memory usage per app is now displayed and what's more ; I have again >500MB free after boot-up !!! :D
Looks like that was an ordinary bug and not Android 4.0.4 using an extra 200MB ...

EDIT: anybody else got this new icon in the status bar ? Two arrows and it says :
Indexing Files
Internal storage, SD card
Last edited by Goner on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A80G9Turbo 1.5GHz - 1GB RAM - 16GB
viking

Post by viking »

endgame wrote:I think it prudent not to install this firmware unless you've made the mistake to previously install 4.0.24/.25.
OK, now that i have made this topic sticky and added the bug reference, let's keep the focus here on actual experiences or questions on this release. Groundless speculations or venting belongs in a seperate topic.

I updated to this firmware and it is running fine. It preserves the wifi fix of the last couple releases, which was my only trouble with this generation. Time will tell if it improved a minor problem for me of occasionally crashing a very busy app, maybe due to ram management.
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
lbocchio
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by lbocchio »

lbocchio wrote:

I just installed the 4.0.26 fw made available today in the US and seems to be working smoothly. Media Center is back and memory usage appears to be lower.

Thanks to the Archos staff.

Also, booting time has improved and is around 54 secs now
101G9, 1.5 Ghz, 250GB, 512MB RAM
SvenC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by SvenC »

Tested with HDD-model
* Booting time improved with latest update. Before 2.15 min, now 50 sec. =D>
* Start of widges -> okay and faster as before (in relation to the last second updates)
* Start of apps -> okay and faster as before (in relation to the last second updates)

It seems, the .26 FW is good in OS-perfomance and the old performance reg. HDD-model is back. FINE!
Borolka
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Borolka »

I took a chance and an hour ago I installed this version.

Everything seems to be working very well. I turned back to the Media Center, which is turned off by the way version 4.0.25 (continuous failure messages, annoying). It works without any problems.

I see an improvement in memory management. I have 1GB, so more memory usage in version 4.0.25 was not a problem for me, but now I see clearly that the use of memory back to 400-500MB (and it was 500-650MB) under normal use tablet (using a web browser - such as Firefox - increases memory usage, but that's normal).

I must also point out that the version 4.0.25 I have not experienced major problems (except for Media Center, but generally I use other software to play movies and music). I just see that this version removes some minor inconveniences.

Great :).
Archos 10.1G9 8GB/1.5GHz (4.0.28)
endgame
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by endgame »

Did anyone install 4.0.26 on a G80 250GB 1.2 GHZ 0.5GB memory and care to share the experience?
Thanks..
80 G9 250Gb rooted stock 4.0.7
dblake
Archos User
Archos User

Post by dblake »

endgame wrote:Did anyone install 4.0.26 on a G80 250GB 1.2 GHZ 0.5GB memory and care to share the experience?
Thanks..
I did, and the process went smoothly.
Boot time improved, HDD not using all the battery when you look at usage and more free memory available (approx 300Mb) so off to a good start. Will have a better feel for it over the next couple of days though I guess...
hars73
Archos User
Archos User

Post by hars73 »

I also updated my classic G9 101. No problems at the moment. Memory usage seems okay now. Everythings seems smooth.

Don't know if the battery drain is still there because I put my G9 into deep sleep when I switch off my screen since 4.0.25. Maybe going to turn that off and test it again with 4.0.26.
Nightsurfer
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Nightsurfer »

Goner wrote:EDIT: anybody else got this new icon in the status bar ? Two arrows and it says :
Indexing Files - Internal storage, SD card
Check the release notes for this firmware version:
"Media libraries: add notification indicating scanning is in process" :D
RomanP
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by RomanP »

I also found that 4.0.26 version fixed MediaCenter, GPS, slow charge indicator, memory and performance problems that were in 4.0.25. The only problem I see is playing video in Adobe Flash Player. It was quite stable in 4.0.7 and became "jittery" in 4.0.24 and 4.0.25. I am using Adobe Flash Player 11.1.115.20.

BTW - is it possible now to return back to 4.0.7?
Nightsurfer
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Nightsurfer »

Overall, I am very happy with this new firmware release. - And I am a bit surprised about the negative attitude regarding Archos' update policy here: Remember that 4.0.25 had been the first firmware revision based on Android 4.0.4 (if you do not count 4.0.24, which was canceled immediately due to the bricking issues with some "G9 101" models), and it seems that most of the issues with that revision have now been fixed with the 4.0.26 update after less than 4 weeks. (Note that Microsoft is still fixing bugs in "Windows 7", released 3 years ago, on a monthly basis!) - Having that said, I would also appreciate some more beta-testing though before a new firmware version gets officially released: there are obviously sufficient people here on "ArchosFans" and on the "XDA-developers" forum, who would be more than happy to check out beta versions of a new firmware, if they were given the change to easily "downgrade" to the latest stable version when needed.

So far, I noticed three remaining (minor) issues, which I had observed for all ICS firmware releases yet:

1) Wi-Fi: Link speed slower than shown.
While the tablet claims that it would be connected to my router with 65Mbps (Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Click on Network: "Link speed"), the router itself shows that it is connected with 39Mbps only. - And I think what my router displays is more believable, as the link speed matches for all other Wi-Fi devices connected. - I wonder if Archos is cheating a little for this number, as my router is an "AVM Fritz!Box", which had caused some stability issues with the Archos tablet before: maybe they traded speed for stability? (Does not really matter for Internet connections though, as for me this is limited to ~16Mbps anyway.)

2) Internal Browser: Reproducible crashes when opening new tabs in the background.
- On the internal web browser, go to "Settings -> Advanced" and enable "Open in background".
- Now go to "www.ebay.com" and make sure that the "desktop version" of the page is shown.
(If you see the "mobile version", selecht "Request desktop site" from the browser menu.)
- Search for a product on ebay, like "archos", so you get a list of items displayed.
- Press and hold the link to any of the products shown, until the browser's context menu opens.
- Select "Open in new background tab".
=> After a few seconds, the browser will freeze!
=> After some more seconds, you will get a message stating that the browser does not respond any longer, and you can select between "Wait" (which will not change anything) or "OK", which will close the browser window.
=> If you re-open the browser, it will try to update both tabs and crash again.
=> If you re-open the app one more time, it will start with the regular home screen again (all tabs gone).
This is a reproducible behavior, but only happens on some web sites (like ebay), while it works as expected on others.
Fortunately there are many alternatives to the internal browser available (Firefox, Chrome, Dolphin, Opera, ...), so this is not too important.

3) German Localization of Archos Apps
Archos is a bit sloppy with the German localization of their proprietary apps. -
Some Examples:
- Archos Remote Control: In the settings, the 3rd bullet ("Hide the mini-guide") is always in English. Everything else has been translated to German.
- Photo Frame: In the settings, under "Floating Images" and "Misc", some descriptions remain in English, though everything else has been translated correctly.
- Media Server: English and French version available, but no German: If your system's language is set to German, the whole app will be English only!
- Calculator: Here they used "CLR" in English (for "clear") and "EFF." in French (for "efface"), but did not shorten the German word "ENTFERNEN", so this does not fit into the available space. (Here they actually translated something, but did not check the result. - And almost every calculator sold in Germany shows the English "CLR" for this button anyway. :D)
I cannot comment on other languages, and again, this is not too important, but since they have a service team in Germany, I wonder why nobody has noticed these issues yet!?
SvenC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by SvenC »

I never used the calculator. ;)
Agj_h
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Agj_h »

With .26 I am still having on again, off again issues with media player. I frequently just get a black screen when selecting a video file to play and eventually the not responding message comes up with wait or close. There does not seem to be a pattern to this and the video files I am selecting have always played in the past and indeed play perfectly when using another player such as mxplayer.

I did a reset of the mutimedia library (which took a surprising amount of time - I have a 32gb microsd with mostly video files on it and probably another 8gb of files in internal memory). The reset took round 25 minutes with nothing else running. Even after that, most video files do not have a thumbnail generated against them but thumbnails do appear to generate going down the list very slowly if I leave the media player open. I dont recall any of this behavior with .07

All other functions appear to be ok to me.
Andrew
500gb a5a
G9 80 16gb 4.0.28
mls
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by mls »

Agj_h wrote:I did a reset of the mutimedia library (which took a surprising amount of time - I have a 32gb microsd with mostly video files on it and probably another 8gb of files in internal memory). The reset took round 25 minutes with nothing else running. Even after that, most video files do not have a thumbnail generated against them but thumbnails do appear to generate going down the list very slowly if I leave the media player open. I dont recall any of this behavior with .07.

Actually, 4.0.7 (and even further back Honeycomb 3.2.x) did the same thing, only much faster with indexing and getting the thumbnail images showing up. And, even back then I already gave up trying to use a microSD card for video or audio files because (on my older G9's anyway) the card sticks out and every time I picked it up I'd accidentally bump the card causing it to eject itself... which, in turn made mediacenter try to re-do its database.

The problem now is with the extra features Archos has added into mediacenter (see the changelog) that now requires a far more complicated process to build the database. So, if you keep things on an SD card it will take a really long time to sort things out if you ever remove or change the card for another one.

What really sucks is that whatever Archos is now doing with the mediacenter indexing is also screwing up and slowing down the stock Android Gallery app... which should be totally separate and independent from the Archos software.

Personally, I don't have any need for the extra features Archos has added into mediacenter. Was just fine the way it was before.

[Side Note: To solve the stupidity of the SD card sticking out and accidentally getting ejected... I bought an Archos 70b where the card sits in totally flush with the side of the device. Now the only video/audio files I try to play on my 80 or 101 G9's is either from internal memory or from wi-fi network sources. I only use a SD card for temporary file transfer of other things, not for any media files.]
Archos 101 G9 8G classic (512M RAM)
mls
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by mls »

Nightsurfer wrote:So far, I noticed three remaining (minor) issues, which I had observed for all ICS firmware releases yet:
2 of the 3 you mention are totally unimportant and the 3rd is really minor. If these are the only flaws you can come up with then you are not even using your tablet for anything LOL.
1) Wi-Fi: Link speed slower than shown.
You are mistakenly thinking those numbers show how fast the wi-fi is operating at. Normally, those numbers are just what the devices "think" they can communicate at with the initial first connection. Wi-Fi devices constantly adjust speed to compensate for varying conditions and interference. You may want to do some further research about how wi-fi actually works.
2) Internal Browser: Reproducible crashes when opening new tabs in the background.
This is a well known flaw in Google's stock Android browser. I would not expect Archos to be able to fix something that is a problem with Google's part of things. And, of course, Google has never bothered to fix it either because they want everbody to use Chrome instead now.

You may have noticed that Chrome is now included as a "stock" part of Android in this firmware upgrade. Very likely the older "stock" Android browser will not even be in future Android versions. So, why fix what won't be there later?
3) German Localization of Archos Apps
Very few companies manage to get all the language translations done perfectly, although Archos does try to correct those errors if they know (or are told) about them. What about all of the other languages in the world though? Do you know anybody that can translate all of them correctly? English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Greek, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc. That takes a lot of extra work. Lucky if they get anywhere near close most of the time LOL.

Anyway, there are several far more major flaws in this firmware that do need to be fixed yet.
Archos 101 G9 8G classic (512M RAM)

Return to “General G9 discussions”