Firmware 4.0.25 Live - Report Bugs!

General topics about the Archos G9 series if those topics don't fit in a specific model category below. Also discuss your ideas, suggestions, hopes, wishes, rumors, informations in here.
mls
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Re: Firmware 4.0.25 Live - Report Bugs!

Post by mls »

As a "personal" side note...

I find it rather interesting that someone that actually works for Archos actually took the time to even bother to stop in and half-way kind of admit that just maybe there is a problem. Then, turn around and ask for someone for logcat files without even giving any instructions about how to even get to the log files (which hardly anyone other than a geek would know about or how to do).

[Hint: For others, you can look at some log info by installing the Android System Information app from Google Play, For those that went thru all the hassles and problems with the first ICS Android 4.0.x upgrades, I'm sure they remember that around 4.0.6 Archos also gave a link to a Log Extractor app that get even more log info]

Here's a number of things that royally piss me off about this situation:

1: It took A WHOLE WEEK FOR ANYONE from Archos to even bother to post a message in this forum; despite the fact that not only where the a number of complaints reported here, but also many phone calls and emails to them, and a lot of posts over on their Facebook page(s) almost immediately after the 4.0.25 upgrade came out! And even with the post here they are NOT ADMITTING THAT THEY screwed up. Instead, implying that they may have missed something for a certain file type (which does NOT explain the hundreds of lines about the thermal case stuff in the logs that should not ever be happening).

2: Apparently Archos does NOT BOTHER to keep at least one of each hardware version change of these devices for "in-house" testing, and even worse... apparently NOBODY that works for Archos even owns or uses any of their devices. Otherwise, those people SHOULD have beta tested and reported all the problems BEFORE Archos unleashes these totally screwed up firmware upgrades on everyone else in the world. To me, it seems like all these stupid problems with upgrades would never have happened if at least SOME of the people that work for Archos actually used their own companies products!

3: They have not (at least not publicly) posted any information, instructions, or links to anything that lets us get this messed up firmware back off and return to an early version (like at least back to 4.0.7) like they eventually did back with the screwed up early ICS versions (to return back to 3.0.80). This it total B.S. about NOT being able to ever go back to a previous firmware if we want to!

4: For those that may want to experiment, they can NOT install the "official" SDE Archos has on their website... where it specifically states it needs 4.0.1 or higher... meaning it SHOULD work, but will not install with after you upgrade to 4.0.25! Even the geeks over at xda-developers had a hard time trying to figure out a way to get an UN-official SDE to install.

I realize that it does take time to work out fixing things, but then again there REALLY SHOULD NOT BE all these kinds of problems that need fixing in firmware upgrades. Should only be small minor things, not major things that make the devices totally useless (compared to how they did work with a previous firmware).

Still seems like Archos is just going out of their way to get a world-wide class action lawsuit against them to force them into bankruptcy so that they can sell out to some other big corporation. That's the ONLY possible excuse I can come up with for them repeatedly trying to totally screw up all of our devices with bad firmware upgrades!

Sorry for my ranting here, but isn't about time for ALL OF US to do some serious jumping on Archos after all we've been put through in the last year?
Archos 101 G9 8G classic (512M RAM)
rlauzon
Archos User
Archos User

Post by rlauzon »

The Media Center crashes seem to be related to the number of media files. If I keep the number to below about 300, no crashes.
spicnspan7
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by spicnspan7 »

rlauzon wrote:The Media Center crashes seem to be related to the number of media files. If I keep the number to below about 300, no crashes.

If it's true my 250gb hdd model is useless. They made this especially for multimedia reason(can't use it for apps) and if I can't even fill it I could've bought the flash model or other tablet. I tried installing the firmware again but no luck. They're not replying to my email as well that I sent week ago. The archos guy in facebook(archos worldwide) who use to answer our messages gone quiet as well. Hope they can fix this soon. :cry:
bragon
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Post by bragon »

rlauzon wrote:

Code: Select all

E/AndroidRuntime( 7276): FATAL EXCEPTION: ImportWorker
E/AndroidRuntime( 7276): android.database.sqlite.SQLiteConstraintException: error code 19: constraint failed
E/AndroidRuntime( 7276): 	at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteStatement.native_execute(Native Method)
E/AndroidRuntime( 7276): 	at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteStatement.executeUpdateDelete(SQLiteStatement.java:92)
E/AndroidRuntime( 7276): 	at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteDatabase.updateWithOnConflict(SQLiteDatabase.java:1810)
E/AndroidRuntime( 7276): 	at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteDatabase.update(SQLiteDatabase.java:1761)
E/AndroidRuntime( 7276): 	at com.archos.mediaprovider.ArchosMediaProvider.update(ArchosMediaProvider.java:1049)
E/AndroidRuntime( 7276): 	at android.content.ContentProviderOperation.apply(ContentProviderOperation.java:225)
E/AndroidRuntime( 7276): 	at android.content.ContentProvider.applyBatch(ContentProvider.java:970)
E/AndroidRuntime( 7276): 	at com.archos.mediaprovider.ArchosMediaProvider.applyBatch(ArchosMediaProvider.java:2225)
E/AndroidRuntime( 7276): 	at android.content.ContentProvider$Transport.applyBatch(ContentProvider.java:208)
E/AndroidRuntime( 7276): 	at android.content.ContentProviderClient.applyBatch(ContentProviderClient.java:120)
E/AndroidRuntime( 7276): 	at android.content.ContentResolver.applyBatch(ContentResolver.java:767)
E/AndroidRuntime( 7276): 	at com.archos.mediaprovider.MediaStoreImporter.handleScanCursor(MediaStoreImporter.java:124)
E/AndroidRuntime( 7276): 	at com.archos.mediaprovider.MediaStoreImporter.doScan(MediaStoreImporter.java:158)
E/AndroidRuntime( 7276): 	at com.archos.mediaprovider.MediaStoreImporter.doFullImport(MediaStoreImporter.java:69)
E/AndroidRuntime( 7276): 	at com.archos.mediaprovider.MediaStoreImportService.doImport(MediaStoreImportService.java:192)
E/AndroidRuntime( 7276): 	at com.archos.mediaprovider.MediaStoreImportService.handleMessage(MediaStoreImportService.java:163)
E/AndroidRuntime( 7276): 	at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:95)
E/AndroidRuntime( 7276): 	at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:137)
E/AndroidRuntime( 7276): 	at android.os.HandlerThread.run(HandlerThread.java:60)
W/ActivityManager(  518):   Force finishing activity com.archos.mediacenter/.music.browser.MusicBrowserActivity
Seems to be caused by an inconsistent database state in Android's database.
Could you please in settings apps do for mediacenter only a forcestop and delete mediacenter data and then report if it helps?
Thank you for your cooperation.
rlauzon
Archos User
Archos User

Post by rlauzon »

bragon wrote: Seems to be caused by an inconsistent database state in Android's database.
Could you please in settings apps do for mediacenter only a forcestop and delete mediacenter data and then report if it helps?
No change. It keeps crashing.
Nigel
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Nigel »

Before I disabled the media centre on my tablet, I seem to recall that one one occasion I saw it listed twice in the list of running apps. If this it not a delusion brought about by my frustration with this new release, then my guess is that two instances of the app are playing with the same database file, and are not locking it properly - this would rapidly lead to corruption.

If my guess is correct, then it may be possible to temporarily work round this problem by limiting the number of running applications to 1, deleting the media information, and then starting the media player. Then, wait until the player completes the index (or crashes). Just a thought...

(Of course, even if the media player is not running in two separate processes, it is still possible for it to corrupt its database file if it is multi-threaded and does not do its own locking. So, while the index is being rebuilt, don't play any music or videos, or muck around with playlists, etc.)
G9 80 8GB 1.0GHz, firmware 4.0.28
alpenn
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by alpenn »

Hi,
Since I've upgraded my 16gb Archos 101 turbo I have noticed the following issues.
1) The display sleep timer is only allowing you to set it to 5 minutes but actually turns the display off before this time. :(
2) When the device is left for long periods of time it automatically puts itself into a deep sleep even though this is not set in battery settings. :?

Has anyone else noticed this. The display timer is a real pain for me.
parkair
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by parkair »

Under Settings - Display -Sleep, optional times from 15 seconds up to 30 minutes can be selected. I would like to see never added here.
alizaryoun
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by alizaryoun »

I tried to downgrade 4.0.25 to any versoin ( 3.2.8 3.2.2 4.0.4 4.0.7 ...) but i saw this massage
this firmware is to old to your hardware...(221)
do you have solution ? :cry:
bragon
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Post by bragon »

rlauzon wrote:
bragon wrote: Seems to be caused by an inconsistent database state in Android's database.
No change. It keeps crashing.
Can you please try this new firmware and see if it fixes your issue?
http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/gen9_4. ... os_it4.aos
We have noticed that music files that have metadata year that evaluates to 0 are causing mediacenter to crash.
rlauzon
Archos User
Archos User

Post by rlauzon »

bragon wrote:Can you please try this new firmware and see if it fixes your issue?
http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/gen9_4. ... os_it4.aos
We have noticed that music files that have metadata year that evaluates to 0 are causing mediacenter to crash.
It looks like that was the problem. I installed the firmware. It found all of my media files. No Media Center crashes.
Cyclope
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Cyclope »

I solved the media center issue by installing rocket player, didn't have issues with that one yet.
My 3G is still not working, and I assured myself it's not a hardware issue (external HD works, 3G works on laptop). At least on 4.0.7 it sometimes worked (still not how it was supposed to work, but at least...). On top of that, I noticed that I have a lot more crashes than on 4.0.7. I have the feeling I'm faced with 2 types. One is when the device is in rest, it seems to reboot from time to time. A second type reminds me of one I faced when I bought the device a couple of months ago: the device shows the HD is spinning, while in reality it isn't. You can go to the home screen, but I don't manage to open apps that want to access the HD. The only solution seems to reset the device.
I got the device about 6 months ago, and not a single day it did what I paid for.
80 G9, 250Gb HD, 1,5GHz, 1Gb RAM
endgame
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by endgame »

Using the latedt bug fix firmware (which solves the media center crashes), will i be able to downgrade back to 4.07? Did anybody try that?
Is archos planning to provide a way to downgrade in the future?
80 G9 250Gb rooted stock 4.0.7
spicnspan7
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by spicnspan7 »

endgame wrote:Using the latedt bug fix firmware (which solves the media center crashes), will i be able to downgrade back to 4.07? Did anybody try that?

I tried, but still it wouldn't let me. Also after installing, my media center still crashes. I just rebuilt the media library and I'll see if it will solve the problem.
LeighWilly
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by LeighWilly »

I downloaded this firmware upgrade a few days ago and oh boy do I wish I had visited this site first.

If I leave my Archos in sleep I cannot play any movies as it seems the Hard Disc will not wake up. I then do a reboot and the device closes down but does not reboot. I then force it to close down and when I switch it back on it takes around 3 to 4 mins to load up. After this I can watch a movie. However as soon as I leave the device for a period of time I have to restart the whole process. It has become un-usable.

I am lost for words. Archos, make this right!

ARCHOS 101 G9 1.5GHZ 250GB
ylavi
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ylavi »

alpenn wrote:Hi,
Since I've upgraded my 16gb Archos 101 turbo I have noticed the following issues.
1) The display sleep timer is only allowing you to set it to 5 minutes but actually turns the display off before this time. :(
2) When the device is left for long periods of time it automatically puts itself into a deep sleep even though this is not set in battery settings. :?

Has anyone else noticed this. The display timer is a real pain for me.
I've had my 80 G9 Turbo 1.2 512MB for about six weeks and only since upgrading to 4.0.25 have noticed an issue with the tablet shutting off on its own when left alone. That's my main problem. I think the Wi-Fi is working better than it did in 4.0.7.

alpenn says that his goes into deep sleep. How can I tell the difference between that and being shut down? My tablet starts up with the Archos animation and doesn't have an app history so it seems to me that it does shut down altogether.
geemacd
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by geemacd »

LeighWilly wrote:I downloaded this firmware upgrade a few days ago and oh boy do I wish I had visited this site first.

If I leave my Archos in sleep I cannot play any movies as it seems the Hard Disc will not wake up. I then do a reboot and the device closes down but does not reboot. I then force it to close down and when I switch it back on it takes around 3 to 4 mins to load up. After this I can watch a movie. However as soon as I leave the device for a period of time I have to restart the whole process. It has become un-usable.

I am lost for words. Archos, make this right!

ARCHOS 101 G9 1.5GHZ 250GB
Exact same problem here on the 80 version
[quote="Flipflop"]I like em big[/quote]
a32quaeler
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by a32quaeler »

Finally! Some reaction from Archos and a firmware for beta-testing the media-crash bug-fix. That gives me some hope that bug-fixes for the HDMI issue of falling back to 640x480 instead of selecting the correct HDMI output resolution for non-Full-HD/non-CEC-capable(?) devices (as it worked correctly in 4.0.7) might be in the making...

OK, I know that there are some more urgent issues than my problem but at least someone from archos is interacting with the users here.
spicnspan7
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by spicnspan7 »

spicnspan7 wrote:
endgame wrote:Using the latedt bug fix firmware (which solves the media center crashes), will i be able to downgrade back to 4.07? Did anybody try that?

I tried, but still it wouldn't let me. Also after installing, my media center still crashes. I just rebuilt the media library and I'll see if it will solve the problem.

after giving media center some time to rebuild it is still crashing.

101 g9 250gb media-crash bug-fix firmware :cry:
deanshep85
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by deanshep85 »

I'm also having this deep sleep issue...its a god damn pain...I use my tablet primarily hooked into a speaker system so its like my replacement HiFi now....and every damn morning since I updated it has to be rebooted because its either dead or in deep sleep...

I say dead as I have noticed the battery drains like a quick son of a B with this firmware....I left it like before I went to bed at 49%...then next day..AFTER the reboot..its down to 22%....and NOTHING was running on it overnight..or at least nothing I left running and there are no rouge apps I have installed as its the exact same as it was on 4.0.7..

Really wish I hadn't bothered with the update....I almost want to say I wish I had never bothered with the damn thing in the first place...my 7inch arnova from HMV was crap with a physical lockscreen button meaning you HAD to unlock it if you wanted to silence an alarm...then the archos internet tablet...which was just plain a*se!...now this one which I had such high hopes for!

Return to “General G9 discussions”