Firmware 4.0.25 Live - Report Bugs!

General topics about the Archos G9 series if those topics don't fit in a specific model category below. Also discuss your ideas, suggestions, hopes, wishes, rumors, informations in here.
Zaratustra
Archos User
Archos User

Firmware 4.0.25 Live - Report Bugs!

Post by Zaratustra »

http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/gen9_4. ... os_it4.aos

Version 4.0.25 - October 25th, 2012

Android: IceCream Sandwich 4.0.4 version
Media Center: network indexing on network shortcut menu (+), network shortcuts creation is proposed on network share directory long press
Media Center: new simplified Movie/TV Shows/All Video views
Media Center Video: new video information view with backdrop display and chooser (click on backdrop to change it)
Media Center Video: poster can be changed by clicking on it in the video Information view
Video Scraper: faster media information retrieval process. Note that in the migration process, all your video scraper information will be lost.
Subtitles: ability to download and save subtitles for network shares
Media Center: add video search
Media Center Music: Album art swipe gesture support
Remote control: control your tablet with your TV remote through HDMI on TV compatible hardware (directional pad, multimedia and color TV remote keys)
Archos Remote: support of remote touch pad
Wi-Fi: new more robust driver
Media Center Video: fix audio desync for some MPEG4/AVI files
Media Center Video: fix MPEG PS/VOB audio track selection
Media Center Video: fix UPNP playback of large files (>4GB)
Media Center Video: fix seeking in some TS files
Media Center Video: fix playing certain MKV files
Media Center Video: fix playing certain H264 files
Media Center Video: improve DVD/VOB playback in case there are IFO files present
Media Center Video: add support for MPL2 subtitle format
Media Center Video: improve playback of H264/AAC TS files
Archos 80 G9 ICS 4.0.25
SvenC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Firmware 4.0.25 Live - Report Bugs!

Post by SvenC »

It seems, the source file is corrupt. No DL possible. In the middle of the DL (51%), it fails. :roll:
Zaratustra
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Zaratustra »

SvenC wrote:It seems, the source file is corrupt. No DL possible. In the middle of the DL (51%), it fails. :roll:
I just downloaded to a pen drive fast and flawlessly. Keep trying, it must be a server overload due to downloads (I suppose).
Archos 80 G9 ICS 4.0.25
SvenC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by SvenC »

mmh, I will try it later...
Mandopicker101
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Mandopicker101 »

Hi

Just downloaded this and installed to my G9 80. All seems well, slightly less RAM than previously but not much. GPS now works like it's never worked before. I'm inside a large office, surrounded by glass and steel etc...and I got 4 satellites solidly locked! Awesome. Haven't had the chance to try wifi but will do when I get home. My wife's 101xs works like a charm where my humble G9 struggles for signal...and our flat isn't exactly huge! Will keep an eye on the 3G stick and see if it keeps running after the tablet has been to sleep.

Now, if they could just inject an extra 0.5Gb into my tablet, I'd be very happy...

Gareth
Zaratustra
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Zaratustra »

I'm eager to get home and update it. Let's hope that the Kernel 4.0.4 will improve the device's performance.

The GPS always worked pretty fine on my 80 G9, even in previous firmware versions.
Wifi always had a weak signal. I own a Huawei Ascend G300 with ICS 4.0.3 and it has a better signal than the 80 G9. Let's hope it'll improve from now on.
Last edited by Zaratustra on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archos 80 G9 ICS 4.0.25
dblake
Archos User
Archos User

Post by dblake »

Hoping this improves my 5 min boot time on a 80 g9 250gb with 4.0.24.
Goner
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Goner »

Change log is identical to 4.0.24 ... but hopefuly it won't brick 101's ;)

I'll give it a wait, 4.0.24 runs fine (apart from the excessive memory usage which should/could be normal for Android 4.0.4)
A80G9Turbo 1.5GHz - 1GB RAM - 16GB
mmnich
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mmnich »

I realize this is gonna tick some of you off and will probably not work, but could we please restrict our posts in this thread to bug reports?

Regards
Michael
80 G9 1.5 Ghz Turbo 8GB ICS 4.0.28
Tizzy
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Tizzy »

nice try ;-)

Not to bug anyone but the tab is definitely using more memory now, but it seems like it's put to good use: the tablet is wicked fast now! After the initial boot it took some time to find its feet which was most noticeable switching between home and panel screens but now it's been on a while and I've started most of my regular apps the difference is quite apparent. Starting up and switching apps has had a major makeover and is stunningly fast. As specified Wifi is now also connecting consistently now, tho it's too early to say anything definitively. As of now, it seems absolutely worthwhile to upgrade.
G9 A101/8GB 1.5GHz 1GB, ICS 4.0.25
geemacd
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by geemacd »

Working well so far, remote control is working great now
[quote="Flipflop"]I like em big[/quote]
Zaratustra
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Zaratustra »

Well, first impression - performance improved, it's way less laggy. Wifi really seems more stable. So far so good. It need further testing but it seems pretty good indeed.
Archos 80 G9 ICS 4.0.25
viking

Post by viking »

Zaratustra wrote:Well, first impression - performance improved, it's less laggy. Wifi really seems more stable.
That was exacty what i was about to say as well. I noticed it converted all apps... maybe something belatedly needed for this ics version...

P.S. it seems to me that video audio is louder as well... i sometimes turn it lower rather than always maxing it.
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
Cyclope
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Cyclope »

I've been running it since last night on an Archos 80, 1,5Ghz, 1Gb RAM, 250Gb HD. Installation was flawless. I honestly don't see any major improvements, but it also didn't get worse:
- 3G stick still has difficulties to be detected.
- No (significant) improvement in GPS reception.
- Music Centre systematically crashes (other music apps don't).

Wifi seems to be like it was before, but that was OK already. Overall it's still stable, so I'm OK with the upgrade. Just a shame of the 3G.
80 G9, 250Gb HD, 1,5GHz, 1Gb RAM
a32quaeler
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by a32quaeler »

A warning to those who want to try 4.0.25:

There is no (official) way to downgrade back to 4.0.7 (which was possible from the 4.0.24)!

Because of the HDMI-Bug in 4.0.2[4|5] (=much to low resolutions/wrong aspect ratios selected for non Full-HD-Devices), I wanted to switch back to 4.0.7 (exactly like I did it before from 4.0.24) and the "Update"-process started nominally from the AOS-File but after the reboot, the following message appeared in the white line down the screen (probably the wording is not exactly correct):
"This firmware is to old for your hardware revision (221)"
and the update simply stopped. I could simply reboot to 4.0.25 but I obviously have to stick to that version! Haven't seen this behavior before and I am not pleased since the HDMI-output bug is quite significant for me...
deet
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by deet »

a32quaeler wrote:A warning to those who want to try 4.0.25:

There is no (official) way to downgrade back to 4.0.7 (which was possible from the 4.0.24)!

Because of the HDMI-Bug in 4.0.2[4|5] (=much to low resolutions/wrong aspect ratios selected for non Full-HD-Devices), I wanted to switch back to 4.0.7 (exactly like I did it before from 4.0.24) and the "Update"-process started nominally from the AOS-File but after the reboot, the following message appeared in the white line down the screen (probably the wording is not exactly correct):
"This firmware is to old for your hardware revision (221)"
and the update simply stopped. I could simply reboot to 4.0.25 but I obviously have to stick to that version! Haven't seen this behavior before and I am not pleased since the HDMI-output bug is quite significant for me...
Have you tried going back to 3.2 and then going forward to 4.0.7?
A80S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES.1.1
a32quaeler
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by a32quaeler »

deet wrote: Have you tried going back to 3.2 and then going forward to 4.0.7?
Not yet since I'm not keen on wiping my tablet again... but I'm also a bit fat up with the Archos FW-updates in general and will probably start looking for a different hardware for my use cases instead of doing all this beta-testing for Archos...
HaCo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by HaCo »

I tried to install, got an error after download that it was not for my device.

I'm on the 4.0.24 right now.
paganino
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: R: Firmware 4.0.25 Live - Report Bugs!

Post by paganino »

HaCo wrote:I tried to install, got an error after download that it was not for my device.

Same for me at the first attempt. Try to re-downloading it.

First impression: better general performance and litte improvement of wifi sensibility.
HaCo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by HaCo »

paganino wrote:
HaCo wrote:I tried to install, got an error after download that it was not for my device.

Same for me at the first attempt. Try to re-downloading it.

First impression: better general performance and litte improvement of wifi sensibility.

Yep, second time it works.

My screen on and off problems are solved. Boot time seems to be shorter as well.

Return to “General G9 discussions”