Does GPS work on the latest version of the gen 9 tablets?

General topics about the Archos G9 series if those topics don't fit in a specific model category below. Also discuss your ideas, suggestions, hopes, wishes, rumors, informations in here.
deet
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Does GPS work on the latest version of the gen 9 tablets?

Post by deet »

I noticed that most, if not all, of the folks who have a working GPS system on their tablet seem to have the earlier versions of the gen 9 tablets.

Does anyone have one of the newer versions (Turbo 1.5 Ghz with 1 Gb of ram) that has a working GPS system?

Don.
A80S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES.1.1
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Does GPS work on the latest version of the gen 9 tablets

Post by butterflygirl »

Yes.
deet
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by deet »

butterflygirl wrote:Yes.
Dang - there goes that theory.

Do both of yours work?

Don.
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by butterflygirl »

Yes
mbc0
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mbc0 »

Used daily for my work, all fine....
deet
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by deet »

Thanks. I was wondering if Archos had messed up GPS in the new model. I guess not.

I am trying to figure out if I have a hardware problem, or if Archos have a software problem that they think that they can fix. I don't want to RMA the device unless I am absolutely sure that the hardware is broken because it is very expensive for me to send it to the US and who knows if the returned device would be any better.

Archos, if you are reading this then it would be very much appreciated if you would advise those of us with GPS problems it you think that you can fix the problem.

Don.
mmnich
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mmnich »

deet wrote:Thanks. I was wondering if Archos had messed up GPS in the new model. I guess not.

I am trying to figure out if I have a hardware problem, or if Archos have a software problem that they think that they can fix. I don't want to RMA the device unless I am absolutely sure that the hardware is broken because it is very expensive for me to send it to the US and who knows if the returned device would be any better.

Archos, if you are reading this then it would be very much appreciated if you would advise those of us with GPS problems it you think that you can fix the problem.

Don.
In fooling around with this I get different results. But since it does work sometimes seems to work with HC, I believe it is software/firmware related.

I would/will wait a few weeks to see what happens.

Regards
Michael
80 G9 1.5 Ghz Turbo 8GB ICS 4.0.28
sumph
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sumph »

New Turbo.. GPS does not work. :(
- Upgraded to 4.0.6... GPS does not work.
superpat
Archos User
Archos User

Post by superpat »

HI,

It is no good just asking "does your GPS work"

This is the way to ask that question:-

Please test your GPS performance in the following manner.

1. Go to Settings and turn off in Settings, Location Services, "Google's Location Service" AND "Location and Google search" obviously not the "GPS satellites"

2. Completely power down and then reboot the Archos.

3. Select a GPS app such as GPS Test or any convenient GPS using app,

4. Time how long it takes to get a first lock, i.e. working app.

Many thanks

P
deet
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by deet »

superpat;

Fine, but most folks who can get a fix at all would say that their GPS 'works', maybe not well but still working. Your test, to my mind, assumes that the GPS already works. My GPS does not work. I have tried your test to no avail.

In my case, I have never had a fix, and only briefly seen a single bird for a few seconds while running HC. I have never seen a single satellite while running ICS.

Because I have actually seen a single satellite a couple of times I suspect that my GPS chip is functional and that its antenna is being shielded somehow - similar to what happened on the Transformer Prime.

My original question was prompted by the thought hat maybe there had been a manufacturing change that broke GPS for the new Turbo models.

Don.
keimo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by keimo »

Completed the steps suggested by superpat (I have completed the very same steps several times before with HC and different ICS versions).

Finally managed to get a decent fix for the first time with any firmware on my A80 16Gb 1.5 GHz . IÔÇÖm now on the official 4.0.6. I had been trying to get GPS to work with HC and various ICS version before this and at best had 1-2 satellites in view. I canÔÇÖt say for sure if the new ICS version was actually the reason for the improved GPS behavior.
I had previously been completely static while testing the GPS but this time was sitting in a moving car and started seeing satellites immediately & got the first fix within 3-4 of minutes.

IÔÇÖm not sure if the fact that I was moving could help somehow getting the fix?

Another thing that was different from the earlier times IÔÇÖve tested the GPS was that I didinÔÇÖt have WiFi connection at all, not sure if that could help??
zandoli
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by zandoli »

After updating to 4.0.6 Final

When outdoors
-not able to get a fix on at best 3 satellites

While on 4.0.6 Test 2
-would get fix on about 3/8 satellites

When indoors my Nexus One gets a fix on at least 1 satellite.

I believe the GPS needs more work. It can perform better.
8+32GB A101S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES1.1
cmelyo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by cmelyo »

Here is exactly what s wrong with gps on my 80 g9 4.0.6:

what works:
- reboot
- gps is active and i run gps test soft
- i prevent tab going in stndby mode (option in soft)
- after few seconds i get fix
- as long as tab never get in stby mode the gps will be fine,
- i also shouldn't stop gps test soft

What does NOT work:
- if any time tab goes in stby during or after fix
- or sometime if i restart gps test
- then i loose all satellites and gps test doesn't see any satellite (0)!!
- i have to reboot and prevent stby to get fix in seconds

PLEASE FIX #-o
I can test beta if u wish
Archos 80 g9 turbo 1.2Ghz ICS 4.0.6
virtualtoy
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by virtualtoy »

Archos 80 G9 turbo 4.0.6. England

I would like to bump this topic back from firmware update problems and assume for the moment that the GPS device fitted inside gen 9 tablets works in ideal conditions but will never be reliable on its own.
As mentioned elsewhere, Asus are sending their customers a free USB GPS dongle and judging from their forums, that has satisfied most of them.
I want one.
I don't mind buying it, Amazon have two that work via Bluetooth but they are quite expensive and a bit vague about compatibility with some Android tablets. Can anyone recommend a dongle that works?
Or, is their any reason the Asus dongle wouldn't work in an Archos tablet?
deet
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by deet »

Virtualtoy:

I bought a GlobalSat BT-359CS bluetooth GPS from eBay for about $30.

There are lots of models of the GlobalSat units but I chose the 359CS because it has a switch (under the battery) that allows you to leave it on all of the time. Normally they timeout after a few minutes (10-15) unless they are connected to power. The battery lasts 11 hours and I really don't want my GPS to drop out every few minutes.

It works well although it does take a little futzing around to set it up. I use the free GPSInfo program to enable BT GPS, you also need to enable mock locations in Settings/Developer Options.

Sometimes the tablet and the BT GPS get out of sync and you have to power cycle the GPS to get them back together. Once it starts running then it seems to work fine although I have had one or two tablet freezes if I leave the GPS running all night. This may have been fixed as I think this was when I used 4.05.

Don.
mls
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by mls »

I like the way the subject line reads "Does GPS work on the LATEST version of the gen9 tablets?"

Like many other companies, I'd have to assume Archos gets various components, circuit boards, and maybe even cases from several different suppliers. And, most likely the units are assembled by various other places (most likely in China just like everything else is these days). From what little I've seen it's like they have another "product" code number almost ever few weeks. So, who knows just what the "latest" is of anything from Archos.

Maybe one or another build of the hardware/firmware actually does work better than another, but I haven't seen where anyone has grouped together any specific product numbers that indicate that to be true (so far anyway). And, I'm really not sure any of the firmware changes actually ever have made the the GPS work any better (or worse) either.

From what I seen (after several months of use here with my old so-called "classic" model)... How well the GPS works seems to depend on only one thing... the weather conditions in a wide surrounding area.

Since I'm located in the central part of the U.S. where there are usually a lot of weather changes... I've noticed that anytime there are storms or cloud cover coming over the western part of the country, or same that have moved on to the eastern side of me... well, that tends to block the GPS satellite signals enough so that the rather weak GPS antenna and receiver in my Archos either can not pick up enough sats all around it (requires at least 3 good ones in a triangle around you to figure things out)... or, it takes several minutes to get a lock (because the sat signals are not strong enough to be usable). Please note that apps like GPS Status do NOT show signal strength, they show Signal-to-Noise ratio, but that's a totally different subject.

Anyway, one day came along and mine got a GPS lock in less than 15 seconds! Normally it would take at least 2 or 3 minutes. So, I took a quick look on the Internet and the weather radar and satellite cloud cover views over the whole U.S. and found that it was clear everywhere (except the far east coast).

Meanwhile, at the same time, my LG smartphone was having all kinds of trouble keeping a GPS lock. It would lock, then drop out, then lock again about every 15 seconds or so. Since my phone could always get a firm lock otherwise (usually in less than 10 seconds) in almost any weather condition here... that seems to indicate that the GPS in my phone is far more sensitive and the GPS receiver was actually overloading from the higher than "normal" GPS satellite signals, while at the same time providing strong enough signals for the Archos to actually work with.

Of course, the weather changed by the next day so both my phone and the Archos returned to operating like they normally do (phone good, Archos poorly and slow).

So, is there really any difference between the Archos product design and firmware changes? Did any of the firmware changes really make a difference, or had the weather conditions just changed when the upgraded? Or is it that those that "claim" theirs work just happen to live in areas that weather conditions are not blocking/weakening the GPS sat signals? I really don't know.

Just thought I'd toss it out there for you others to figure out.
Archos 101 G9 8G classic (512M RAM)
Nightsurfer
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Nightsurfer »

cmelyo wrote:Here is exactly what s wrong with gps on my 80 g9 4.0.6:

what works:
- reboot
- gps is active and i run gps test soft
- i prevent tab going in stndby mode (option in soft)
- after few seconds i get fix
- as long as tab never get in stby mode the gps will be fine,
- i also shouldn't stop gps test soft

What does NOT work:
- if any time tab goes in stby during or after fix
- or sometime if i restart gps test
- then i loose all satellites and gps test doesn't see any satellite (0)!!
- i have to reboot and prevent stby to get fix in seconds
That's exactly what I experience with my Archos 80 G9 1.5GHz, 16GB RAM.
virtualtoy
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by virtualtoy »

Deet:

Thanks Don, I've ordered the same model Bluetooth GPS Receiver, I'll report back when I get it.
My guess is that you are right, there may be several different builds of G9 tablet around as Archos dealt with problems such as screen distortion. We were unlucky perhaps, maybe an internal antenna needs relocating 2 mm to the left, we could make a fuss but if this works I'm happy.
deet
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by deet »

Virtualtoy:

I hope that I have not steered you wrong. Since I posted last I tried my BT GPS again and found that although it worked most of the time, GPSInfo reported connection problems occasionally and dropped the connection. I plan to try some other BT GPS apps to see if they are more robust. I don't remember seeing this behaviour before I updated to 4.06.

BTW. When you get your BT-359CS you will find a little toothpick like instrument in the box. This is for throwing the tiny, tiny switch under the battery compartment so that it stays on all of the time. I don't think this was explained well in the manual.

Good luck,

Don.

Edit: I am having better luck using Bluetooth GPS by Googoo Android, even though GPSInfo is GlobalSat's official app.
virtualtoy
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by virtualtoy »

deet:

Bluetooth GPS Receiver arrived yesterday, neat little thing, can sit on the car dashboard or in your pocket. Bought from Ebay seller, unboxed with a car charger thrown in, 10.99 GBP. Advertised as Globalsat BT359C it is actually branded CoPilot. It has no toothpick and no tiny switch to stop it turning off which I also would have liked but …..
IT WORKS.
I also futzed for some time, I installed a lot of GPS apps and I chanted, rebooted then sacrificed a goat but now I think all I need is Bluetooth GPS, Navfree World and GPS Fix. With these I seem to be able to get a fix to establish my location and give navigation with WiFi turned off or out of range. Google Maps and Navigation don't like WiFi turned off so alternative sources for maps may be needed.
I need to get out and try different conditions before closing the case but it looks like a workaround.
Thanks again for putting us on to this.

Return to “General G9 discussions”