DVD ripped movies do not play: File is damaged or incomplete

General topics about the Archos G9 series if those topics don't fit in a specific model category below. Also discuss your ideas, suggestions, hopes, wishes, rumors, informations in here.
eyeofanubis
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

DVD ripped movies do not play: File is damaged or incomplete

Post by eyeofanubis »

Hey there folks,

Just got my G9 101 Turbo ICS 250GB a few days ago, and have to say, I'm a happy bunny now!

Throughout the years, I have built up a huge DVD and Blu-Ray collection, and I started ripping some of my favorite movies to take them along on-the-go. This is also one of the reasons why I got the 250GB HDD version.

Now, my problem is that the ripped DVD's (originally bought DVD's, I don't do pirating stuff) just don't play on my Archos, whereas they play perfectly on my Smartphone, a Samsung Galaxy S2, and on all my PC's an laptops (windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.10). The error I'm getting is the following: "Cannot play video! - File is damaged or incomplete".

I browsed the forum a bit, and saw that some people had the same problem on older tablets, and some of them got it solved by either removing special characters in the filename, or by just rebooting their tablet a few times. Well, that's not the case with me. The filename is now just "tearsofthesun.mp4" (yeah, I like Bruce :o ) and I rebooted the tabled a few times already. The file is of course smaller than 4 GB.

I have used Roxio Creator 2011 to rip the DVD's and used the following settings:
- Compression: H.264
- Resolution: HD 720p (1280 x 720)
- Frame Rate: 30 fps
- Data Rate: 4000 kbps
- Audio Format: AAC
- Sampling Rate: 48 KHZ
- Sample Size: 16 bits
- Channels: Stereo

Could anybody help me on this? Or does anybody have the same problem? Just as a reminder, the file plays perfectly on my Samsung Galaxy S2 and on all my PC's and laptops.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Bart.
viking

Re: DVD ripped movies do not play: File is damaged or incomp

Post by viking »

Mx video player app can power thru a lot of irregularities when set to software decode mode
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
eyeofanubis
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by eyeofanubis »

Thanks! I just bought MX Video Player Pro, and it works perfectly.

However, shouldn't the Archos Player be able to play the same file?

Cheers,

Bart.
eyeofanubis
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by eyeofanubis »

Oh, and I didn't even need to go to S/W decoding mode...

Still wondering why the archos player doesn't play the file, as Archos normally have a very good reputation for playing media files.

Cheers,

Bart.
viking

Post by viking »

I just had your problem with PDFs, and after finding an app that didn't complain I could go back to the complaining apps which would then work on the so called damaged pdfs. I think the firmware and ics android itself hasn't settled down after such a drastic upgrade, perhaps.
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
nz
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Post by nz »

eyeofanubis wrote:Hey there folks,

Just got my G9 101 Turbo ICS 250GB a few days ago, and have to say, I'm a happy bunny now!

Throughout the years, I have built up a huge DVD and Blu-Ray collection, and I started ripping some of my favorite movies to take them along on-the-go. This is also one of the reasons why I got the 250GB HDD version.

Now, my problem is that the ripped DVD's (originally bought DVD's, I don't do pirating stuff) just don't play on my Archos, whereas they play perfectly on my Smartphone, a Samsung Galaxy S2, and on all my PC's an laptops (windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.10). The error I'm getting is the following: "Cannot play video! - File is damaged or incomplete".

I browsed the forum a bit, and saw that some people had the same problem on older tablets, and some of them got it solved by either removing special characters in the filename, or by just rebooting their tablet a few times. Well, that's not the case with me. The filename is now just "tearsofthesun.mp4" (yeah, I like Bruce :o ) and I rebooted the tabled a few times already. The file is of course smaller than 4 GB.

I have used Roxio Creator 2011 to rip the DVD's and used the following settings:

Could anybody help me on this? Or does anybody have the same problem? Just as a reminder, the file plays perfectly on my Samsung Galaxy S2 and on all my PC's and laptops.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Bart.
can you make a (short) sample available?
nz
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Post by nz »

eyeofanubis wrote:Oh, and I didn't even need to go to S/W decoding mode...

Still wondering why the archos player doesn't play the file, as Archos normally have a very good reputation for playing media files.

Cheers,

Bart.
sometimes we do put a tiny bug :)
Lewis
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Lewis »

I've got the same problems with Sony Handycam DCR-SR30 video files. Files shorter than about 10 seconds play the rest get the damaged or incomplete file message. The same files play with VPlayer albeit with lower quality.
nz
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Post by nz »

Lewis wrote:I've got the same problems with Sony Handycam DCR-SR30 video files. Files shorter than about 10 seconds play the rest get the damaged or incomplete file message. The same files play with VPlayer albeit with lower quality.
could you provide a short sample?
Lewis
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Lewis »

nz wrote:
Lewis wrote:I've got the same problems with Sony Handycam DCR-SR30 video files. Files shorter than about 10 seconds play the rest get the damaged or incomplete file message. The same files play with VPlayer albeit with lower quality.
could you provide a short sample?
No problem here you go.https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7A1n1P ... 3h1Zw/edit
eyeofanubis
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by eyeofanubis »

No problem,

I will provide a 2 minute sample in a few minutes.

Cheers,

Bart.
eyeofanubis
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by eyeofanubis »

nz wrote:

Thanks a lot in advance,

Bart.
Well... The 3 minute sample just works fine with the Archos player...

Do you have a spot where I can upload/FTP the full 3GB file?

Cheers,

Bart.
nz
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Post by nz »

eyeofanubis wrote:
nz wrote:

Thanks a lot in advance,

Bart.
Well... The 3 minute sample just works fine with the Archos player...

Do you have a spot where I can upload/FTP the full 3GB file?

Cheers,

Bart.
yes, sent as PM

Return to “General G9 discussions”