ICS test firmware tackling Wi-Fi and HDMI issues

General topics about the Archos G9 series if those topics don't fit in a specific model category below. Also discuss your ideas, suggestions, hopes, wishes, rumors, informations in here.
a32quaeler
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: ICS test firmware tackling Wi-Fi and HDMI issues

Post by a32quaeler »

I tested the 4.0.6-TEST-"2" beta firmware posted in the XDA-dev forum and it solved the (last of the) HDMI audio output problems for me (80G9 Turbo 1.2 GHz 16GB)!
Now the sound finally works again via HDMI on my Acer LED Pico Projector.

My ICS-HDMI history so far was:
4.0.4: no hotplug connection for Samsung TV, Dell LCD Monitor or Acer Projector (sometimes no connection at all even after reboot)
4.0.5: hotplug works but audio works only on Samsung TV
4.0.6-beta-1: same as 4.0.5
4.0.6-beta-2: all work fine

WiFi allways worked for my router settings with ICS (it now also works with a Fritzbox in WPA2 and b+g+n - but I didn't test "n" with the previous versions). I'm happy with this beta FW and anticipating the official release.
deet
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by deet »

bragon wrote:...it would be great to generate logs of the failures by installing/running the following applications after witnessing a problem:
http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/debug/LogExtractor.apk
bragon:

Would running this log extractor be any help in debugging the gps problem(s)?

Don.
A80S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES.1.1
bragon
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Post by bragon »

deet wrote:
bragon wrote:...it would be great to generate logs of the failures by installing/running the following applications after witnessing a problem:
bragon:

Don.
We are addressing the GPS problem right now and we are able to reproduce thus no need of logs for now.
Stay tuned!
gansik
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by gansik »

The 4.0.6-test firmware did not resolve the wi-fi issue. :(

The problem is similar to that described in the first post of this topic: http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.p ... 35&start=0
My router is ZyXEL P-330W EE. Archos 80 G9 with firmvare 3.2.80 works fine!
Extracted log can be found here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71254223/Log_A8 ... s012ms.zip
mauro_avila
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mauro_avila »

bragon wrote:Here we go again: for those still experiencing issues with Wi-Fi (Fritzbox, speedport etc.) please try out this new test firmware:
http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/gen9_4. ... os_it4.aos
and report if it cures your problems.
If this is not the ultimate solution, it would be great to generate logs of the failures by installing/running the following applications after witnessing a problem:
that will generate a zip of the logs at the root of your tablet. Please post the resulting file for us to pin point another problem.

Thank you for your help and patience.
How do I install the log generator?
I ust found into the folder some kind of source code.
The new firmware did not solve my problem, so I want to report it.
How I can install the logger?
Stileth
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Stileth »

Open this post in your tablet, download and install the apk file. If you cant get online then download it in PC and copy to tablet via USB data cable. Then install it.
Archos 101 G9 8GB
robinhood
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by robinhood »

bragon wrote:
deet wrote:
bragon:

Don.
We are addressing the GPS problem right now and we are able to reproduce thus no need of logs for now.
Stay tuned!
Great ! My main problem had been the problems with GPS. Because I travel overseas quite a lot. . As soon as you fix it I am going back to ICS.
On another note, maybe you should have an app that can capture logs as a standard option. .so if there is a problem., we can already submit logs ...
A80 G9 Turbo 250GB 1.5 GHz
mauro_avila
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mauro_avila »

Stileth wrote:Open this post in your tablet, download and install the apk file. If you cant get online then download it in PC and copy to tablet via USB data cable. Then install it.

Sorry, I did not find any APK file into the zip folder.
I have a file named resources.arsc besides others files and folders, but, APK did not show.
Stileth
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Stileth »

Archos 101 G9 8GB
LeCare
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by LeCare »

superpat wrote:@bragon

Hi,

I extracted the log. You can download it from :- http://www.mediafire.com/?8py18eyul98wj59

Looking at the log, it can be seen that the Archos gets the EDID info, but keeps choosing choice 13 1280 x 720 AT 60HZ The hdmi then immediately shuts down!

(I would have thought choice 19 would have been more apposite).

I live in the UK where we use 50HZ.

You will also see that there was a problem with the clk frequency (slightly out).

I had a look at the edid format, but it is very complicated to decode manually. especially with the E-Edid data blocks, if I make one error in the count the meaning of the sequential data blocks is screwed, since the data is sequential and not set on nice whole number byte boundaries. I was Googling for a program to decode the bytes for me, I assume that you possess such a decoder!

regards

Patrick
Patrick,

The EDID line edid[080] = 02 03 24 f1 49 85 04 02 01 03 11 12 13 14 23 09 is the start of the extended block and it registers some video formats (9 exactly due to value 0x49) supported by your TV. Then just after, you have the format declared.

Bit 7 is the native bit that reports the prefered format (by the way, it does not report that other formats will not work, just that if the source supports it, it is preferrable to use it) and the last 7 bits [6:0] reports the format supported (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_d ... ation_data, CEA EDID Timing Extension Version 3 data format).

So your TV declares:
0x85: Format 5 is the native one (1080i)
0x04 : Format [email protected] is supported
0x02 : Format 480p @60Hz is supported
... until 0x14

So the [email protected] Hz is clearly possible and supported by your TV so it should not fail. Perhaps you should try with an other cable and if you have some switch or adapter in between, bypass them and directly connect your TV to your device.

Hope it will help.
mauro_avila
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mauro_avila »

Hello.

I did teh log stuff.

I got a bounch of files. They are here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7652362/archos8 ... -avila.zip

I really really hope this helps.
gansik
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by gansik »

mauro_avila wrote: Sorry, I did not find any APK file into the zip folder.
I have a file named resources.arsc besides others files and folders, but, APK did not show.
Rename LogExtractor.zip to LogExtractor.apk.
bragon
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Post by bragon »

gansik wrote:The 4.0.6-test firmware did not resolve the wi-fi issue. :(

The problem is similar to that described in the first post of this topic: http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.p ... 35&start=0
My router is ZyXEL P-330W EE. Archos 80 G9 with firmvare 3.2.80 works fine!
Extracted log can be found here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71254223/Log_A8 ... s012ms.zip
I hear you: the issue you experience is not the one that we have fixed. We will get back to you.
KreCi
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by KreCi »

Hello. As some of you I have problem with WIFI since first ICS OTA updateon Archos 80 G9. But for me it is not working at all. I have been trying all settings as WPA/WPA2/AES/TKIP. None of those are working (WEP is not a solution for me). It looks like it is trying to connect and suddenly disconnects in the loop. None of the firmware with ICS have been working for me (4.0.6test and 4.0.6test2 are not working as well). On each version I have been completly restoring fresh system. I am sure of all wifi settings/password as those set on another Android ICS device works good.

Here is a movie with my try of connecting to WPA/AES wifi (same behavior for other settings):
http://youtu.be/u-0-RO_tagk

(System is set to Polish language but it says connecting/authorization/saved and all of those in the loop).

Moreover range seems to be bad - before update it was very good in same place. Other devices have full range in same place.

Router is Ovislink 5460AP v2 (someone mentioned it already in this thread). Other devices like HTC Sensation (with ICS), Galaxy ACE (Android 2.3.6), Kindle Fire and iPhone 4S have no any problems with WIFI in same place.
maxn1971
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by maxn1971 »

I'm in the same situation as KreCi.
I've a Netgear DGN1000, with others wifi pc's/phones I can connect without problems.
The 101 G9 ICS doesn't connect in any authentication modes (I try all the possible auth modes).
I downgrade to 3.2.80 but I've the same disconnections...
I resume an old DLink DWL-900AP+ (an access point 11b) and only with 3.2.80 I can connect to it without protection, if I activate any protection, the tablet connect and disconnect every 2/3 seconds...

I buy the tablet to connect with wifi..... I wait the ICS release and now it doesn't work....
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
It's no good.
KreCi
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by KreCi »

maxn1971 wrote:...I downgrade to 3.2.80 but I've the same disconnections...
For me downgrading helps. It is working on HoneyComb as it should. But not working on any ICS release.
Stileth
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Stileth »

If you are forced to reduce the encryption to WEP then do what I did. Make a whitelist of MAC addresses of all your devices in router, so no one else can connect.
Archos 101 G9 8GB
maxn1971
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by maxn1971 »

The mac address white list it's the first thing that I do.
But it's not a solution.... I hope that "Mr Archos" resolve this issue.
catboy111
Archos User
Archos User

Post by catboy111 »

Let me just say that this test firmware is better/stable than any firmware from archos since I bought the g9 101. 3 days and not a single crash. It was the only thing I hated, multiple crashes freezes every single day. I hope the next official firmware would not make the crashes come back. Rip crashes and freezes
Last edited by catboy111 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aicragdrahcir
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by aicragdrahcir »

It's amazing to me how there can be so many different experiences with malfunctions with the Archos G9s. I wonder if these various issues are related to hardware variations and/or the install apps.

I have an G9 1.2G 250GB tablet that seemed to be operating with minimal problems (only a very occasional issue with not making SMB connection with my PC) so I wasn't too motivated to try the test version of the 4.0.5 firmware. But when the official upgrade was released, I jump on it foolishly thinking that all was now better than the 4.0.4 (even though 4.0.4 was working fairly well for me). What a mistake. I now had frequent freezes that sometimes would cause the G9 to shut down and restart after a few seconds on its own. Other times, I had to do a hard reset by holding down the power button forever.

Whenever a freeze would occur, after rebooting, a wifi connection could not be established without turning off the wifi, then turning it back on. I didn't try to see if I was also experiencing the other troubles observed by others with the 4.0.5 release. I decided to reset the OS back to 3.2.80. Reinstalling Ginger went well without any problems. I keep Ginger for a few days without any troubles with wifi, with the backside USB , and HDMI worked well with with my Samsung and Phillips TVs. Definitely no more freezes and my SMB connection to the PC was also working with no issues. I even tested Netflix by viewing several movies one after another with no trouble at all except once but that was a problem with my internet provider.

After being relatively sure everything was ok with my G9 hardware and software, I now upgraded to ICS using 4.0.4. I have again tested everything as I did with my recently previous 3.2.80 installation. Everything has been working without a glitch for a full week. So this time when future 4.0.x are released, I will definitely wait before I "upgrade". I also now suspect that my previous problems with SMB was probably an issue with my PC.

BTW, I am using a Netgear WDNR3700 router using WPA2-PSK encryption.

Return to “General G9 discussions”