ICS test firmware tackling Wi-Fi and HDMI issues

General topics about the Archos G9 series if those topics don't fit in a specific model category below. Also discuss your ideas, suggestions, hopes, wishes, rumors, informations in here.
Nydus
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: ICS test firmware tackling Wi-Fi and HDMI issues

Post by Nydus »

bragon wrote:
Nydus wrote:still huge problems with Speedport W722V @ WPA/WPA2 on G9 101 OMAP4460 @ 1.2 Ghz
Can you please describe the problems encountered (e.g. cannot connect, connection drops etc...)?
Could you also tell us what encryption you are using WPA or WPA2, TKIP, AES etc?
Does the problem persists if you forget the network by long press on SSID name and reassociate?
Thank you for your testing.
hello,

-its a Type A
-works only with WPA (TKIP)

-with WPA2 (AES) the connection constantly drops. it shows the whole time "connected" ("Verbunden" in german) under the SSID (which is just SPEEDPORT at the moment). also wlan symbol stays blue. but browserbar stops right under the "X" and times out (can also happen while in the middle of loading a page -> almost at the end of the bar). also Google Play times out, then maybe loads a bit and times out again.

-same with WPA/WPA2 (TKIP/AES) in combinationmode

- all testing was made with deleting the connection beforehand and reconnection after tabletrestart.
- no noticable difference between the use off "Netzwerkfreigaben abschalten" and "Stromsparmodus abschalten" while setting up the connection. (dont know whats it in english, something with networksharing and energysavemode turning on and off.)

i hope this helps :(

EDIT:

after further testing it seems the problem is related to the 802.11n standard. cause when i switch the Wlan to "b + g" only, even WPA2 and WPA/WPA2 works fine. but though kinda slow. i just tested it for some minutes but the problem with wlan-n occured after seconds so should be fine. btw when i switch to n+a standard the tablet cant even find the router, seems it cant find ethose channels. (which i think is kinda normal)

so 802.11n + WPA2 = BAD ;)
vincentch
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by vincentch »

I just installed the new testing firmware. Wifi problem continues.
I played again the YouTube video and stopped around six minutes. Turned wifi off and then on. Continued to play one more minute and so on and exactly the same as last testing firmware.

I just went back to 3.2.80 and the youtube video played without any problems.

One thing I notice is during the setup wizard, 3.2.80 saw my wifi network right away. ICS didn't and I have to add it after the setup wizard.
The speed of the video streaming is faster in 3.2.80. It can go up to 100kbps while ICS is around 20-30kbps.
darkpila
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by darkpila »

Everything is perfect with the new firmware
bragon
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Post by bragon »

vincentch wrote:I just installed the new testing firmware. Wifi problem continues.
I played again the YouTube video and stopped around six minutes. Turned wifi off and then on. Continued to play one more minute and so on and exactly the same as last testing firmware.

I just went back to 3.2.80 and the youtube video played without any problems.

One thing I notice is during the setup wizard, 3.2.80 saw my wifi network right away. ICS didn't and I have to add it after the setup wizard.
The speed of the video streaming is faster in 3.2.80. It can go up to 100kbps while ICS is around 20-30kbps.
Can you please disclose the brand/model/version of your access point?
Is using WPA/TKIP (disabling 11n operation) solves your issues?

Thank you for your testing.
Lars
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Lars »

Didn't work for me either. Updated firmware, removed and readded the access point. Still will not reconnect to Wlan after Deep Sleep, reboot fixes the issue.

Router is D-Link DSL-2640B in WPA/WPA2 mode, SSID hidden.
ifb
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by ifb »

I am NOT using the test firmware - I have the original ICS upgrade installed. I have not had wifi problems at all apart from just after the ICS upgrade and I'm pretty certain that was not an issue with the tablet. My D-Link DIR-655 Wireles N router has been set to WPA/WPA2 auto but the D-Link recommends WPA2 by itself, so this morning I switched the auto mode off and selected WPA2 only. No problems at all with my 80 G9 since then and I have had a BBC iPlayer programme playing for the last half an hour. The only problem with iPlayer and other in-browser video streaming is poor lipsync, but at least the video is smooth and reliable, which it wasn't with Honeycomb no matter which version of Flash Player I tried, although 10.3 was generally better than 11.1.

Ian
Archos 80 G9
Samsung Galaxy Note
Lars
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Lars »

I had mine as well in WPA2 only mode with the original ICS firmware, I have changed it to WPA/WPA2 in case it would help.

Have to try whether it helps changing back, but I'm doubtful.
bragon
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Post by bragon »

All: official 4.0.5 is out. It contains some minor additional fixes but nothing new on the Wi-Fi front compared to the test firmware.
For the fritzbox and speedsport owners (Atheros based AP): we are working on the issue with our Wi-Fi chipset provider, we have over the air captures of the issue. Please stay tuned.
Jimb
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Jimb »

bragon wrote:All: official 4.0.5 is out. It contains some minor additional fixes but nothing new on the Wi-Fi front compared to the test firmware.
For the fritzbox and speedsport owners (Atheros based AP): we are working on the issue with our Wi-Fi chipset provider, we have over the air captures of the issue. Please stay tuned.

Thanks Bragon. It's great to have your expert assistance on the forum.

Do you feel it is better to stay with ICS and follow the official firmware fixes or go back to 3.2.8 with the download from the Archos firmware page ?

I am currently on the Test 4.0.4 version and the overall performance experience doesn't seem nearly as good as it was under 3.2.8 when I first got the tablet.

Thanks again for your assistance.
bluebull
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bluebull »

Regulars freezes with 405. Every 5 minutes. Didn't experience this with patch 2 on 404.

After the first couple of hours being unusable due to freezes, things seem to have calmed down, using same apps no freezes today's.
Last edited by bluebull on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
vincentch
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by vincentch »

I installed 4.0.5.
The router is D-LINK DIR-601 Hardware Version: A1 Firmware Version: 1.02NA
I changed to WPA only and TKIP but the behavior is the same. The youtube video stopped at about 6 mins.
seadog
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by seadog »

Still Slow and Laggy, I've given up and gone back to 3.8 . At least the browser wont give me a headache jumping around the place. Is it really that hard to make it run smoothly ?
avel
Archos User
Archos User

Post by avel »

seadog wrote:Still Slow and Laggy
Some application or process must be hogging your CPU. I think the devs could do with some more information.

Go to Settings -> Developer Options and enable "Show CPU Usage".

Which process(es) eat up the CPU?
bragon
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Post by bragon »

OK let's now continue the little game of fixing HDMI for all.
For those who are experiencing no image/no sound on your TV even with 4.0.5 (I am interested in only these), could you please report if this test firmware will solve your issues?
http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/gen9_4. ... os_it4.aos

Thank your for your testing.
Last edited by bragon on Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quasd
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by quasd »

Downloading. Will post results soon.
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB ICS 16GB
bragon
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Post by bragon »

quasd wrote:Downloading. Will post results soon.
Sorry: previous link was bogus please use http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/gen9_4. ... os_it4.aos
rugbytaco1
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rugbytaco1 »

After 4.0.5 my g9 101 turbo still drops off my WIFI at home. I haven't tried any other WIFI connections. I have a Netgear FVG318. Its WEP secured. I also sent this to Tech Support. If this proves to be a long lasting issue, I will return this device.
tomsk
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by tomsk »

bragon wrote:All: official 4.0.5 is out. It contains some minor additional fixes but nothing new on the Wi-Fi front compared to the test firmware.
I've read the change log, so I assume there are no changes to GPS functionality?

On my unit (80G9/Turbo 1.2Ghz) with 4.0.3 and 4.0.4, the GPS failed to function satisfactorily. It would pick no more than 3 sateliites and never get a fix. My android phone sat next to the Archos would often pick up 7 or more satellites and get a fix within a minute. The GPS function was fine under FW 3.2.79 & 3.2.80 so I knowm the hardware is not at fault.
80G9 Turbo 512Mb/16GB/1.2Ghz
quasd
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by quasd »

Downloading again will post in few mins :D
bragon wrote:
quasd wrote:Downloading. Will post results soon.
Sorry: previous link was bogus please use http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/gen9_4. ... os_it4.aos
quasd
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by quasd »

Nope still nothing. Tried with 2 televisions. First one is 2 years old lg and the second is few months old samsung led tv. If I keep the cable plugged in while rebooting I get what you see on the second pic. I don't think that the problem is my cable since I tried with honeycomb few days back and I could get a picture. The resolution was low but it was working. Oh and I installed the firmware with full format.
edit: added some info
Last edited by quasd on Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General G9 discussions”