How's Ice Cream Sandwich working out for you?

General topics about the Archos G9 series if those topics don't fit in a specific model category below. Also discuss your ideas, suggestions, hopes, wishes, rumors, informations in here.
nekogami13
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

How's Ice Cream Sandwich working out for you?

Post by nekogami13 »

Since Archos promised ICS in February and the month is almost over, the update must be coming any second now.
How are you liking it so far?
What don't you like about it?
Have you tried chrome yet?
abulafia
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: How's Ice Cream Sandwich working out for you?

Post by abulafia »

Well, thanks for asking :). It is not 1st of April so April Fool is a little far away ...
As a wish, I would really like to answer, but as you, as an expert, are aware, ICS is only planned, not really released. I thing though that this strategy worked for Archos and they increased their sales a little bit with their unofficial statements via forums and CES2012. We are probably February Fools, going on April ... It is good to be the first (fool) on something :).
I enjoy my Archos 101 G9 even with Honeycomb, even if it crashes three times a day when watching movies or flash pages, even if I need a restart once in a while to mount an SD card or a USB Flashdisk, even if multitasking is just theoretical with Honeycomb's memory management of the huge 512 MB amount, and even if i need to recalibrate the touchscreen when I operate the tablet outside cause "winter is not summer" (some readers may recognize this excuse :). I enjoyed also the nasty sound on speaker with flac music, and I am still happy cause there is a nice spec I was able to buy with those money. I think Archos is behaving like a Chinese manufacturer with this delay, w/out any firm engagement and statement. After all, we are all Archos customers and they should at least treat us as an honest provider. Do I sound angry? Trust me, I am not. Just amused.
Zaratustra
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Zaratustra »

Well, who knows what might happen... :

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=62562
Archos 80 G9 ICS 4.0.25
abulafia
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by abulafia »

Yeah ..!!! It is a long day ahead of us .... Not to mention the time reference which is not clear ... :)).
It will come when they will be ready, and this is it.
wavewalker
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by wavewalker »

abulafia: I totally do agree with you, in goods and bads, in everything what you mentioned.
Happy, that I have same problems as anyone else and of course I┬┤m happy with same things as anyone else.
ChrisL1977
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ChrisL1977 »

Just recieved this email from Archos

[email protected]
14:52 (2 minutes ago)

to me
Hi,

There has been a slight delay and this is now due to happen in the second
week of March

Thanks

Going to tell my girlfriend I'll be back home late because the train is slightly delayed......and turn up in a couple of weeks
roylovelock

Post by roylovelock »

come on guys, its delayed, no problem.
there would be another 101 threads started if they released an early buggy version - i personally would rather them delay for a few weeks than release a bug riddled version.
just my take
roy
COYI
sper56
Archos User
Archos User

Post by sper56 »

Yes. You guys should not get upset..save your anger til ICS is released. If it works flawlessly, then you will be a happy camper. If there's a bunch of bugs, clearly it was not worth the wait, then you can release your anger to archos xD
Visit my thread http://goo.gl/pR9Ig
ChrisL1977
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ChrisL1977 »

TBH I have no anger.

Quite happy with my Archos as it is. (apart from the fact it keeps disconnecting from wifi)
lazlng
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by lazlng »

My anger/annoyance with Archos is the complete lack of communication. Nothing on their website provides a clue about the ICS release. When you try to contact support, they do not have a clue. When you try and contact someone who should have an idea, they have the wrong clue.

I do not buy the idea that they are just being careful. They have been testing ICS for months - long enough to have a product they can release. While 100% perfect would be nice, waiting for that means it will never be released. They could (and should) offer the AOS file as a beta, but that is not even mentioned. They could post something on their website about ICS being delayed. Silence on this is not working for them - it's generating anger and more questions.
nekogami13
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by nekogami13 »

roylovelock wrote:come on guys, its delayed, no problem.
there would be another 101 threads started if they released an early buggy version - i personally would rather them delay for a few weeks than release a bug riddled version.
just my take
roy
No problem?
A company that can't keep its promises or get its act together and release software on time is not a problem?

Acer promised ICS in February for the a200 and they followed through. It is also bug free as far as I can tell.
Honeycomb version on a200 also doesn't cause the tablet to lockup or crash constantly with flash content.

Asus promised ICS and somehow managed to push it out.
Why can't Archos?
bkromhout
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bkromhout »

nekogami13 wrote:
roylovelock wrote:come on guys, its delayed, no problem.
just my take
roy
No problem?
A company that can't keep its promises or get its act together and release software on time is not a problem?

Acer promised ICS in February for the a200 and they followed through. It is also bug free as far as I can tell.
Honeycomb version on a200 also doesn't cause the tablet to lockup or crash constantly with flash content.

Asus promised ICS and somehow managed to push it out.
Why can't Archos?
Asus is a rather large company. Archos, on the other and is very small. Remember that.
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

Great, a whole thread devoted to trolling.

Return to “General G9 discussions”