Drive Letter Frustration 250GB Model!!

General topics about the Archos G9 series if those topics don't fit in a specific model category below. Also discuss your ideas, suggestions, hopes, wishes, rumors, informations in here.
mbc0
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Drive Letter Frustration 250GB Model!!

Post by mbc0 »

Hi,

I have just received my 80 G9 250GB Turbo. All so far so good. This tablet will only have one job as it is mounted on my car dash for music & sat nav. I am trying to copy mp3's accross (approx 200GB) & am really struggling with this as the device does not show as a drive letter so I am unable to use my preferred allsync software or Terracopy I just drag & drop & wait ages & watch it transfer files for 20-30mins before bombing out with a device not found error! (even though it is there & it is fine) & due to the limited features I have as the you can only access the "device" through windows I have to start all over again! Grrr Surely there MUST be a way to see the G9 Disk as a drive letter in Windows! Anyone???
SvenC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Drive Letter Frustration 250GB Model!!

Post by SvenC »

In my mind normal copy apps cannot see the archos device (excepting the windows explorer), because the archos devices do not connect as normal drive letter device, but as "media device".
On my old A5IT I can change the connect-behaviour so that I can use the total commander for copying files.

Generally I use the windows explorer for copying files to my G9 device. ;)
mbc0
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mbc0 »

Thanks for the reply mate, was hoping for a "oh have you not pressed this button" kind of answer, but hey... :doubt: is this seriously how everyone transfers their files? I mean it's really stone age! am I missing something? Do people use Windows Media Player? Media Monkey? Do those programs handle Video as well? :?

Cheers
jamie41
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by jamie41 »

He's not specific about the details, but I think Svenc is referring to the menu option in USB Connect settings in the A5IT, to choose between MTP and MSC mode. MSC mode is the one which gives a drive letter.

Something to try (I don't have a G9 device, only a G8 device) is to go to Recovery Mode, and look for the option to connect in MSC mode there. I've seen this option somewhere in the Recovery Menu options, but my G8 is rooted, so it comes up with different options now.

To get into Recovery mode, boot the device by pressing and holding the Vol down button, while giving a short press on the power button (at least that's how it's done up to G8 devices). Keep the Vol down button pressed until the white Recovery screen appears.
mbc0
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mbc0 »

Bah :(

All options are available in recovery mode EXCEPT....Guess what! MSC Mode :-( Thanks for your imput guys, really hoping for a solution to this.... wonder why they removed MSC mode?
zandoli
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by zandoli »

Google is using MTP instead of USB file transfer on Honeycomb
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... ostcount=1

You may want to try a WiFi server

https://market.android.com/details?id=o ... rch_result

Hope you have a good enough signal
Good luck
8+32GB A101S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES1.1
bhmm
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by bhmm »

Yes, there's no MSC mode in Honeycomb thanks to google our friend. It's really furstrating but they have put out there a big logic on why they went away with that. Unless your phone/device has two separate internal SD slots, you will not get MSC option.

I struggled with the same thing for days trying to copy over my massive library. On gen 8 I was uing SynchToy beautifully.

Windows media synching is not good since it does not recognize certain files as compatible and try to keep converting them.
The Copy/paste in Explorer will also work only for those files which are recognized and compatible with your Archos. Which is not the case for some of the files again. (Many files can be used on Archos in Software decoding mode are thought to not be compatible)...It only give you the option to skip coping them or cancel.

Synchtoy does allow to synch on the device as it's not showing up as a regular drive.

My last option is to use a middle man. I do have a portable hard drive which I use as another backup to my data. So I synch my computer with that drive using Synctoy (making synchtoy chose the fils I want) and then I would connect that drive on my Usb Host on Archos and copy paste it as is.

the all thing is a pain in the back.
jamie41
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by jamie41 »

So how about Ubuntu, rather than Windows? If you have an Ubuntu installation on your PC, wouldn't that just mount the G9 automatically, and open a "window" showing the various filesystems on the G9? In addition to the PC's files of course.

I have an Ubuntu / Windows dual boot on my laptop, but I don't have a G9 to test.
mbc0
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mbc0 »

Lol I am the opposite, I don't have Ubuntu! :lol:

bhmm, what size is the hard disk you are using for the USB port at the back to transfer? I tried my Samsung s2 120gb and astro could not se t
bhmm
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by bhmm »

I'm using a 500gb portable hard drive and it work even without extra power ( Y cable) or similar. But I came to find out an issue if I use any usb cable without the "bump". It will not mount. Any cable with the bump (ferrite beads or sometimes ferrite chokes) mount without any issue. Sometimes you have to reboot to get it to mount properly ...

Of course I still use the Y cable (one of them works very well ...bought for $10 bucks in US at MicroCenter) because to avoid a power disruption after a long period.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0332115

Since copy paste is kind power intensive I like to supplement to avoid the power. But starting with full charged archos and keeping the charger cable plugged in can may be do it too. In the past I had problem with A5IT 500 gb transferring large data where power would shut off and mess up the hdd. Had to reformat since after a few of those you start gettting errors. So I've learned my lessons. Specially in my case my G9 80 has 1TB hdd and currently transferring 300gb on it.
Even if you start with fully charged unit and keep it on the charger....it may be amolst fully drained by the end of copying depending on the amount of data. But it's really fast an speed is really good

Jamie on Ubuntu there's some kind of tool to get around this MTP issue. it may actually be better since I have not found an alternative on Windows where the thing mount in MTP all the time.
mbc0
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mbc0 »

You are a star mate! I am currently transferring 450gb via 750gb 2.5 inch disk caddy no power and no special lead, just bog standard USB. 2.0 I am keen to try the FTP setup tomorrow but for sure this is the way I will xfer large amounts of data. Can you tell me where you bought the 1tb drive from please as this is something I would love to do before the summer
bhmm
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by bhmm »

Glad that worked for you...

Here's where I bought recently. I"m in US.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822152291
mbc0
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mbc0 »

Thanks bhmm,

I have been using Allway Sync with the FTP Server running on the tablet today all with no problems, so please with the results!

As for the disk I didn't realise it was a 2.5" disk, I had just presumed it was a 1.8" disk like in a Zune or Ipod. I have quite a few 2.5" disks in my workshop, I don't suppose you know what the maximum thickness of the drive you are allowed to use is at all do you? I know I have a spare TB drive as I bought 2 different types to fit in my PS3 & have one left over... After install did everything format via the Archos interface with no issues?

Cheers Man
bhmm
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by bhmm »

As far as Hdd 9.5 would be the max. The original hdd,momentus thin, are 7 mm. If you bought one for PS3, it should fit as I think only max 9.5 can get in. From my research only two hdd 1TB are 9.5: the Samsung pinpoint M8 HN-M101MBB 1TB & Scorpio WD WD10JPVT
I will try Allsynch and ftp set up. Thanks!
mbc0
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mbc0 »

Hey Mate, Thanks For The Reply,

Sorry to ask more questions, but I notice that the original 2.5HDD is 7200RPM with a SSD Partition, how does the performance measure with losing both RPM and the SSD Partition?

Cheers
bhmm
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by bhmm »

Actually your statement is not true. I think everybody, myself included, thought Archos will use Momentus XT, hybrides hdd. Archos never really said that. They only said they will use Momentus coupled with SSD. Really they never used the hybride drives. At least in my Archos G80. They used the same old drive as in gen 8 and did the exact same thing they did in gen 8. Nothing new with gen9. They still pair flash and the momentus thin hdd. In a sense they did not lie. But me and many included thought they will go with the XT version which has SSD builtin.
So the original drive is 2.5 HDD with 5200 RPM. Same with mine but high capacity. I have not noticed any difference in speed or battery life.

If you read my post about the upgrade, sorry I would need to edit that since the info I stated in there is not correct. I later found out after looking closely to the original drive and looking up it's model number online that it's just the old momentus thin.

Thank you!

Return to “General G9 discussions”