3g stick speeds?

General topics about the Archos G9 series if those topics don't fit in a specific model category below. Also discuss your ideas, suggestions, hopes, wishes, rumors, informations in here.
JamieLeeWV
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

3g stick speeds?

Post by JamieLeeWV »

Been considering getting the archos 3g stick to go with my 80 g9.

I have been tethering on my mobile phone to access the internet and its not the best, i am trying to stream live NHL hockey games via the gamecenter and I do not get very good speeds (but when watching them on my phone its fine).

I did a speed test on the archos will connceted to my phone via wi-fi and got speeds of 0.95mb download.

Does the 3g stick offer faster speeds?
syscheck
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: 3g stick speeds?

Post by syscheck »

Yes, it does. If you're speaking about Megabit and not Megabytes.
It's supposed to be able to deliver 7,2 Megabit down.

I do have a T-Mobile (low) 3.6 Mbit connection and have no problem watching online videos / streams.
Archos 101 G9 Turbo 16GB 1,2GHz
boone
Archos User
Archos User

Post by boone »

have you been able to get a 3g stick to work with t-mobile? i have at&t, the stick reads my sim card, (i'm using it in my laptop until the g9 101 250gb arrives) and it tries to dial but fails. i called archos usa, but they told me the dialing protocols here in the us were incompatible with the european protocols used on the 3g stick. i haven't gotten much further than that...
syscheck
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by syscheck »

I do think you have a problem outside Europe using the 3g stick; as you have noticed; I live in the Netherlands...
My bad for not telling earlier!
Archos 101 G9 Turbo 16GB 1,2GHz
boone
Archos User
Archos User

Post by boone »

i got it to work here in the u.s.! boo yeah!
paddysmith
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by paddysmith »

I want to more details about 3G stick,

Please help me. =D>
boone
Archos User
Archos User

Post by boone »

I ordered the stick from the u.k. and am using the at&t sim card from my non-smart phone which has a $15 a month unlimited data plan. The faq page for the g9 101 on the archos site had a section on the 3g stick that helped me get the settings/dialing rules sorted out. I think t-mobile is the only other u.s. carrier that uses sim cards, which is what the stick uses. By my figuring, you'll need the stick and a sim card and data plan for at&t or t-mobile. Each carrier has a set of dialing rules including a "phone number", account name, and password to get you logged in. (I found them online and have been using them to tether via bluetooth successfully for over a year without any nasty letters from at&t)

Return to “General G9 discussions”