About charging and power off.

General topics about the Archos G9 series if those topics don't fit in a specific model category below. Also discuss your ideas, suggestions, hopes, wishes, rumors, informations in here.
Zaratustra
Archos User
Archos User

About charging and power off.

Post by Zaratustra »

So, the G9 devices won't charge while turned off.
So, if the battery runs dry, we will be able to turn it back on plugged to the charger, right?
Last edited by Zaratustra on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Archos 80 G9 ICS 4.0.25
syscheck
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: About charging and power off.

Post by syscheck »

I got that problem this weekend.
If it runs dry (it shuts down permanantly when it has reached about 1 percent) due to the fact that, in my case, I forgot to charge it for 2 days AFTER it ran out of juice, it'll take about 2-3 hours before you can even turn it on. In my case it only had 8 percent charged.

Keep in mind; this is no fact, just a user experience.
Archos 101 G9 Turbo 16GB 1,2GHz
Zaratustra
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Zaratustra »

syscheck wrote:I got that problem this weekend.
If it runs dry (it shuts down permanantly when it has reached about 1 percent) due to the fact that, in my case, I forgot to charge it for 2 days AFTER it ran out of juice, it'll take about 2-3 hours before you can even turn it on. In my case it only had 8 percent charged.

Keep in mind; this is no fact, just a user experience.
So, you say that we will be able to bring it back to life, only that we may have to wait a few hours.

The thing is that (they say) batteries should run dry quite often due to charging cicles. But I'm charging my 80 G9 somewhere around 5/10% charge left.
I would like to run it dry once in a while but I'm affraid it won't come back to life anymore. Hence the question above if it will turn back on when we plug it to the charger. :)
Archos 80 G9 ICS 4.0.25
Nigel
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Nigel »

a gentle suggestion:

There are already many - too many - open threads on this topic, you should have added to one of those rather than starting another!
G9 80 8GB 1.0GHz, firmware 4.0.28
Zaratustra
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Zaratustra »

Nigel wrote:a gentle suggestion:

There are already many - too many - open threads on this topic, you should have added to one of those rather than starting another!
Yes, indeed there are many threads around this subject, too many. I did a few searches with several key words, avery time I got over 300 pages. After several searches and loads pages I gave up and created my own.
Archos 80 G9 ICS 4.0.25
syscheck
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by syscheck »

I second that, although most of those results in the 50 of 300 useful results conclude the same: the batteries currently used in devices like eg. tablets, phones are a kind that are better to charge before they run dry.
I'm not the technical kind of guy, but this website is an example that gives a pretty decent explanation why most tablets and phones use Lithium Ion batteries.
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

When the tablet runs down to 3% (for me anyway) it pops a message that says "Battery is discharged, device will now shut down" (or something like that), and them about three seconds later it just cuts off.

I plugged mine in and turned it back on immediately and it ran just fine while I let it charge, even though I was using it.
iang9
Archos User
Archos User

Post by iang9 »

My tablet appears to run for 7 - 8 hours without a hassle but the battery meter is off my a long way.

today I turned it on (not charged overnight and not turned off either) and it was showing 35% but 15 minutes later it was came up with the shutting down message.

its now been on charge for 30 minutes and is showing 25%. This now the only issue I have with this tablet - but, as I know if I charge it over night it will be fine the following day, it's one I can live with at the moment. I hope that a clean wipe of the tablet before the ics update will sort this.
iang9
Archos User
Archos User

Post by iang9 »

iang9 wrote:My tablet appears to run for 7 - 8 hours without a hassle but the battery meter is off my a long way.

today I turned it on (not charged overnight and not turned off either) and it was showing 35% but 15 minutes later it was came up with the shutting down message.

its now been on charge for 30 minutes and is showing 25%. This now the only issue I have with this tablet - but, as I know if I charge it over night it will be fine the following day, it's one I can live with at the moment. I hope that a clean wipe of the tablet before the ics update will sort this.
just checked it again - and 1 hour later the battery is showing 11%!!!!!! give up.
Zaratustra
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Zaratustra »

iang9 wrote:My tablet appears to run for 7 - 8 hours without a hassle but the battery meter is off my a long way.

This is why we should be able to run it dry completely.
After many charges, batteries start to decalibrate, indicator start not to show the real remaining charge. To recalibrate we must let it run completely dry, charge it to 100% and repeat the process. Do this at least once a month.
When we cannot do that, over time, decalibration will happen.
iang9 wrote:just checked it again - and 1 hour later the battery is showing 11%!!!!!! give up.
This may also indicate that your battery is starting no to charge well. Li Ion batteries have about 300/400 charging cicles, after that, it's all the way down till replacement.
Archos 80 G9 ICS 4.0.25
Kodiak

Post by Kodiak »

As a rule of thumb many devices are designed so that when the battery reaches a low level, 3 - 5% they will signal you that they want to shut down, or will turn themselves off. This is to protect the battery. Running a Lith-ion battery down to completely nothing is a very bad idea and the characteristics of this battery could cause it to do some funky things. You could ruin the battery.

It is safe to run it to the shut off level periodically for calibration, but when it tells you its done, its done. If it shuts itself off only start it back up when you plan to charge it. This goes for any device with a Li-ion battery.
iang9
Archos User
Archos User

Post by iang9 »

Zaratustra wrote:
This may also indicate that your battery is starting no to charge well. Li Ion batteries have about 300/400 charging cicles, after that, it's all the way down till replacement.

except this has had no more than 6 charges in the 10 days I've had it...

I wonder if this is further evidence of cost cutting / cheap components / poor build quality.

I've left it to charge and will check again later.

If I ignore the charge level the battery life is about as I expected.
syscheck
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by syscheck »

Kodiak wrote:It is safe to run it to the shut off level periodically for calibration, but when it tells you its done, its done. If it shuts itself off only start it back up when you plan to charge it. This goes for any device with a Li-ion battery.
Thank you for the statement. It'll satisfy most users, I think.

Return to “General G9 discussions”