CES 2012 archos g9 1.5 ghz will have 1gb ram...

General topics about the Archos G9 series if those topics don't fit in a specific model category below. Also discuss your ideas, suggestions, hopes, wishes, rumors, informations in here.
macb91
Archos User
Archos User

CES 2012 archos g9 1.5 ghz will have 1gb ram...

Post by macb91 »

the archos g9 will have 1 gigabyte of ram because ice cream sandwich needs more that's what the person at the ces told me and its in a German review also so people who got it got played .... glad I got my transformer prime
Harfainx

Re: CES 2012 archos g9 1.5 ghz will have 1gb ram...

Post by Harfainx »

Proof of any of this?

Last I heard, all units will continue having 512MB of RAM.
zandoli
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by zandoli »

All tablets will get update to ICS, just as Craig said.
Even those with 512MB.

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/tech-tech- ... -10025196/

I also like the prices quoted by The Verge.

80 G9 $229.00
101 G9 $299.00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO3FW45QmVM
8+32GB A101S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES1.1
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

Yeah, ICS will be run perfectly fine on all Gen9 models.

There is nothing anywhere saying that ICS needs more.

Please don't try spreading negative rumors on the forum without any method of proving them.

It will be fun to see if the 1GB RAM models come out. I would like to run the 512MB vs the 1GB side-by-side and see the actual performance difference (not just benchmarks).
SvenC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by SvenC »

I think, 1 GB RAM is good for multitasking. Otherwise, you can kill old processes. In my mind, with normal using, you will not see any difference in performance.
Galaxy
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Galaxy »

"As well as updating the on-board software, an Archos spokesman told ZDNet UK that models will begin shipping at the end of February that have upgraded hardware features.

The improved specs include a 1.5GHz dual-core processor on the 'Turbo' model and 1GB RAM. Current Turbo models have a 1.2GHz processor and 512MB RAM. Pricing will remain the same."

So we have to wait for 2 months to get the new upgraded system ... Well thanks but no thanks , i will get what they have now . ;-)
moronoxyd
Archos User
Archos User

Post by moronoxyd »

SvenC wrote:In my mind, with normal using, you will not see any difference in performance.
How do you define what is normal?
For me, using several apps simultaneously is normal.

If Archos now releases models with 1 GB of RAM after saying for months that all models will have only 512 MB RAM I feel tricked and cheated. I bought my Archos 80 Gen9 Classic assuming that that will be the best there is in terms of RAM.

Maybe this is just a false rumour, otherwise I'll be massively pissed off.
BenMars
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by BenMars »

I think you perfectly understand what he means. "Normal" means more than 95% of user.

You have used your tablet for several month, but you seem forgetting it when you use words such as "triked" or "cheated".
boone
Archos User
Archos User

Post by boone »

my 250 gb a101 is on preorder from adorama. if someone can confirm the 1gb claim, i'll ask them to hold off.
macb91
Archos User
Archos User

Post by macb91 »

here you go wait a lil more than you will get 1gb ram the guy at the archos stand said that ics will run with 512mb ram but its way faster with 1gb ram and thatswhy they put in one gb

http://www.mobilityfeeds.com/mobility-f ... oogle.html

this is the review where the guy explains it again just like I got told that it will get 1gb ram because ICS will run better with 1gb its german but he says it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-jz655G ... re=related

And the best thing is it will come for the same price-.-
Galaxy
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Galaxy »

Well to summarize we have 1 Gb ram , 1.5 Ghz cpu ,ICS 4 , rumors about a metal plate to fix the problem with the screen and same price ...
After these i think i must wait one month for the new Archos 80 G9 to arrive ...
Hope they will produce these faster than usual .
BenMars
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by BenMars »

We have confirmation from Archos concerning the 1 Gb of memory since March for all 1.5 Ghz G9 models.
Prod wil begin in February.

So :
Turbo - no turbo / 512 Mb - 1 Gb ? on stores.
Last edited by BenMars on Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zandoli
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by zandoli »

Info from jbmm.fr

What about this not yet revealed, 7b2IT? Gen9?
Will it be Turbo 1.5 GHz?
Will it have the 1 GB RAM?

If so, can I have 2 Archos please!
1 16 GB 101 Turbo 1.5 GHz
1 8 GB 7b2IT Turbo 1.5 GHz

lol
8+32GB A101S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES1.1
moronoxyd
Archos User
Archos User

Post by moronoxyd »

BenMars wrote:I think you perfectly understand what he means. "Normal" means more than 95% of user.
I doubt your number. Pulling numbers out of thin air to make an argument is pityful.

BenMars wrote:You have used your tablet for several month, but you seem forgetting it when you use words such as "triked" or "cheated".
I bought the Archos 80 Classic only after we were told that all models will only have 512 MB.
If Archos had told us that later models would have 1 GB of RAM or even that there *might* be a model with 1 GB I would have hold off buying.

So yes, by not communicating properly Archos tricked me into buying a product that I would not have bought otherwise.
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

I don't believe that they had originally intended on putting more than 512MB in any model, and that's why they told us that.

It seems that they changed their build plans after they got a real feel for how many units they would be selling, and probably after taking comments/complaints into consideration.

It isn't that they cheated or lied to anyone. Companies change their design plans all the time, and that seems like what has happened here.

Do you also complain about computer part companies lying to you because they announce a slightly better model a few months after they put a new generation out?
Spilby
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Spilby »

Ufff, I think the same. But... we're waiting a 1.5 turbo since September. And knowing Archos policy, when they say February, they really say May, June, or July... I really think that a version with 1Gb ram, 1.5GHz, metal place, etc, for this price is a good deal but if they begin to sell this versions in the middle of the year (I'm sure too that they will delay various months the final date) will be a lot of tablets in those dates with good price and good features too, and Archos g9 will be another simple tablet more, without nothing special.
Galaxy wrote:Well to summarize we have 1 Gb ram , 1.5 Ghz cpu ,ICS 4 , rumors about a metal plate to fix the problem with the screen and same price ...
After these i think i must wait one month for the new Archos 80 G9 to arrive ...
Hope they will produce these faster than usual .
yohojones
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by yohojones »

Do you also complain about computer part companies lying to you because they announce a slightly better model a few months after they put a new generation out?
It is simple to upgrade a pc and impossible to upgrade a tablet. This argument is ridiculous. The hardware is final on a tablet.

My Archos constantly crashes. So much so that I bought a Galaxy Tab 10.1. It has 1GB of ram and has not crashed on me once. So either Archos has horrible software or the lack of ram is a real problem.
marcel
Archos User
Archos User

Post by marcel »

I think the problem is, is comes down to want or need. Most people don't NEED these devices, they can go about their lives quite easily without them (and use their old one). The problem is, people WANT them!

I'm probably the slowest adopter of new technology (I'm 41 and have had only 3 mobile phones, got my 1st smart phone 6 months ago for £65). I use a 4 year old PC from a shop called Aldi, my mum who is 74 has a £1000 mac book pro! if what I have works, I'm usually not interested in changing it. I still have a s/h sony CRT TV, £85 for a 28inch TV in mint condition 3 years ago, bargain!

Why do people jump on the bandwagon of early adopting of these devices? they will be buggy as hell and the mark 2 version will always be better/cheaper. I got my a5it 2 years ago, as it was soo old, it worked fine (for video, not so good for internet), and never crashed once. A guy at work just got the gen 8 a101 for £150, and his has never crashed either.

Who paid £400 for an HP touchpad or £600 for a RIM playbook? bet they are feeling pretty mad right now, but if it does what they want; are they bothered?

I will not buy certain devices for various reasons, nothing to do with brands or brand loyalty:

a camera must have a seperate charger. I want to be able to charge a battery and use the camera at the same time. Samsung compact cameras are too complex, and nikon can't be bothered to make their own compacts. plus both charge batteries in camera.

a phone must take a plug in battery, and have expandable memory. The reason I won't buy an i phone, or nokia N range. Every day people walk into my camera shop and complain they can't print from their i phones (apparently they don't have bluetooth for non apple devices! lol)

a tablet must have expandable memory, be drag and drop, play AVi files, and not have a unique OS to everyone else (removeable battery, and plug in charging were my only compromises, or i couldn't buy one!). This is the only reason I won't buy an apple device, nothing to do with the company (I've never seen/used i tunes). Or a kindle fire, my internet is pants where I live, streaming is no good to me. I'm not going to upload 1Tb of videos to the cloud?!

I will never use a phone/tablet to take pictures or videos, as I have superb cameras for this task.

I will never use an expensive phone/tablet as a TV remote, when I can use / break the cheap TV remote instead =D> ???

Am I a stick in the mud? yes
Am I a mug? no

My philosphy is:
Don't buy a device untill you read several reviews or can try it. If it does not have/do what you want, don't buy it. No one is putting a gun to your head. Sometimes you can't try it, and you have to take a chance, I understand that as well.
I got a samsung galaxy player 5.0 without seeing one or finding many test reports (most were on amazon) and I love it.
That's the worst feeling, when you have been totally screwed! You also don't have much choice, but to believe what manufacturers say, and have to selttle for what they produce. But, do you?

This is the only way manufacturers will change their ways. If everyone stopped buying gen 9 devices, Archos would have to do a major rethink.

as every company is sticking in 1GB of RAM, Archos HAVE to follow suit. People believe spec sheets, and more always looks better than less (regardless of performance). Dual core is better than single core, quad core is better than dual core, 1Gb of RAM is better than 512MB of RAM. Question, why not DDR3 RAM?

Futureproofing to me is important. I may not need the performance / feature now, but I might later. BUT, I'm not going to spend silly amounts of money on it either.

My £1000 4 year old SLR camera still delivers fantastic quality pictures, using my 10 to 20 year old lenses.
My 1999 BMW is still fun to drive.
My Sony Vega TV still has good picture and Amazing sound, way better than my flatscreen's sound.

vote with your wallet, it's the only language manufacturer's understand...we have the power!

marcel
Galaxy
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Galaxy »

Well Sunday passes fast ,
weather is cold here in Greece and my original decision to order my tablet Archos 80 turbo today is going on hold .
The problem is that i am already looking elsewhere for a good alternative but the idea of having enormous space of the 250 Gb HD is sweet .
If though it takes like 2 months till the turbo 1.5 tabs arrive do you thing its worth actually the wait ? ? :?:
SvenC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by SvenC »

I have two decisions. ;)
Dec. one: In future, I will use my "old" G9 1.2 GHz 16 GB device at home for controlling the Squeezeboxes etc.
Dec. two: In near future, I will order a G9 250 GB 1.x device for mobile using (movies, music, internet).
Summary: Problem fixed. :p :D

Return to “General G9 discussions”