Firmware 3.2.79 released

General topics about the Archos G9 series if those topics don't fit in a specific model category below. Also discuss your ideas, suggestions, hopes, wishes, rumors, informations in here.
BenMars
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Firmware 3.2.79 released

Post by BenMars »

Version 3.2.79 - January 10th, 2011

Download: Firmware 3.2.79

- Video : improve MPEG2 video playback
- Archos widget : avoid widget stuck on sandglass happening sometimes
- File manager : re-allow to copy a file from Network
- Web browser : add a ÔÇÖKeep screen ONÔÇÖ option in Browser
- Display : fix backlight not on at wakeup from suspend on some A101 happening at low backlight level
- Display : remove some seldom UI freeze during animations
- Battery : avoid shutdown at suspend wakeup happening sometimes
- Hard drive : avoid suspend/resume issues happening sometimes
- Hard drive : prevent loss of hard drive during video playback happening sometimes

Old G9 Firmware Threads:
19th December: Firmware 3.2.78
9th November: Firmware 3.2.69
28th October: Firmware 3.2.61
17th October: Firmware 3.2.56
3rd October: Firmware 3.2.46
dblake
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Firmware 3.2.79 released

Post by dblake »

Excellent- i'd been having some suspend/resume issues with my HDD version :)
Wonder if "remove some seldom UI freeze during animations" will improve iPlayer performance - had a few freezes in that.
SvenC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by SvenC »

I hope, several freezes during WiFi disabling / 3G enabling -> device restart are fixed.
yohojones
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by yohojones »

If ICS is supposed to be out soon for the G9 devices why are they continuing work on the Honeycomb OS and not putting all their effort into the ICS release?
hars73
Archos User
Archos User

Post by hars73 »

When I let my G9 search for updates it says that it's up to date.
When I download and install using the link from the post or from the support site on archos.com it installs, but it still says 3.2.78 in the system settings after updating.

Anyone else the same?
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

yohojones wrote:If ICS is supposed to be out soon for the G9 devices why are they continuing work on the Honeycomb OS and not putting all their effort into the ICS release?
Because there are still bugs that they are aware of, so it is still a good idea to continue making fixes. This way the already fixed problems in Honeycomb can hopefully be avoided in ICS.
hars73 wrote:When I let my G9 search for updates it says that it's up to date.
When I download and install using the link from the post or from the support site on archos.com it installs, but it still says 3.2.78 in the system settings after updating.
Anyone else the same?
How are you doing the installs? You're going through the recovery and flashing the new firmware that way, or are you allowing the device to find the update and restart on it's own?
If you are allowing the device to do it itself, I would suggest doing it through recovery.
hars73
Archos User
Archos User

Post by hars73 »

Downloaded the file again and copied it to the root this time. Clicked it in the filebrowser. It installed correct now. Normally I let the tablet search for new updates, but it couldn't find any.
BenMars
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by BenMars »

Harfainx wrote:Because there are still bugs that they are aware of, so it is still a good idea to continue making fixes. This way the already fixed problems in Honeycomb can hopefully be avoided in ICS.
I think so.
They fix some problems on ICS that can be implemented on honeycomb.

A good exemple : remember when Archos implemented in Gen7 firmware some features (video) they developped for the gen8 because it was easy to put in the gen7 firmware.
SvenC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by SvenC »

- A normal reboot crashes
In addition, I mean my devices crahses oftener as with the old FW.
- Bluetooth pairing with JBL OnTourXTB loudspeakers not possible (device found, but no pairing)
- Bluetooth pairing with Jabra BT3030 headset not possible (NO detection (not found) and hence, no pairing)
Last edited by SvenC on Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
paulbonner
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by paulbonner »

yohojones wrote:If ICS is supposed to be out soon for the G9 devices why are they continuing work on the Honeycomb OS and not putting all their effort into the ICS release?
Also, if you've got more than a few developers on your team, some are dedicated to maintenance -- tracking down and squashing outstanding bugs -- while others are working on new development. And that's a good thing for users, because it's very common for new development, such an ICS port, can run into unexpected issues that delay it for weeks or months, and as a customer, the wait for an overdue upgrade is a lot more bearable if your vendor has gone to the trouble of fixing the bugs they know how to fix in the old build instead of deciding they don't need to do so with a new build coming out.
DidsburyRed
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by DidsburyRed »

For me, 3.2.79 has fixed the issue I was having (since 3.2.77) where I the software would interpret a long-press on the touchscreen as a lot of rapid individual presses.
(Also meant that I couldn't drag/drop as it would drop after a couple of milimetres).
msiviter
Archos User
Archos User

Post by msiviter »

Haptic feedback is still not fixed.
2x 3G 80 4.0.4
BenMars
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by BenMars »

Of course, it's not a bug.
msiviter
Archos User
Archos User

Post by msiviter »

How can it not be a bug if it worked in the #22 firmware but not since? My missus has used it since day one and her tablet hasn't self-destructed!
2x 3G 80 4.0.4
eruditionfish
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by eruditionfish »

msiviter wrote:How can it not be a bug if it worked in the #22 firmware but not since? My missus has used it since day one and her tablet hasn't self-destructed!
It's not a bug because haptic feedback was disabled deliberately after Archos decided not to include vibration hardware in subsequent production runs. I can't remember exactly why, but it's been mentioned earlier on the forum.
msiviter
Archos User
Archos User

Post by msiviter »

It's a bit annoying that Archos can have a recommended firmware update that disables a working feature without telling owners in the release notes. Z-device test reports that my unit and my girlfriends have the vibrator but I don't know if mine actually does as it's a warranty replacement. Why couldn't they code the firmwares to differentiate between units that have it and not. It's like buying a car, paying extra for air conditioning and on the first service it's returned with the button removed. When you enquire at the dealer-they just tell you that they have fixed the windscreen wipers!
Cheap tablet,poor customer service.

After having the last three generations of archos tablets and Samsung and HTC Android phones I'll not buy another Archos.
2x 3G 80 4.0.4
80g9
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Firmware 3.2.79 released, can't find new firmware

Post by 80g9 »

After I choose 'yes' to downloading a firmware update and seeing the download start, I don't know where the file is stored and the tablet doesn't on its own continue the update process. Where can I find the new .aos file?
nekogami13
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by nekogami13 »

80g9 wrote:After I choose 'yes' to downloading a firmware update and seeing the download start, I don't know where the file is stored and the tablet doesn't on its own continue the update process. Where can I find the new .aos file?
Bottom of screen, notification icon telling you downloaded-bring it up and touch the file name.
80g9
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by 80g9 »

nekogami13 wrote:
80g9 wrote:After I choose 'yes' to downloading a firmware update and seeing the download start, I don't know where the file is stored and the tablet doesn't on its own continue the update process. Where can I find the new .aos file?
Bottom of screen, notification icon telling you downloaded-bring it up and touch the file name.
Thanks, but it didn't show up in notifications.
BenMars
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by BenMars »

Go to archos.com, download the aos, copy it in your tablet.
Last edited by BenMars on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General G9 discussions”