Archos G9 1.2Ghz October and 1.5Ghz December availability

General topics about the Archos G9 series if those topics don't fit in a specific model category below. Also discuss your ideas, suggestions, hopes, wishes, rumors, informations in here.
Harfainx

Re: Archos G9 1.2Ghz October and 1.5Ghz December availabilit

Post by Harfainx »

I wonder when this will hit the US stores. I do think that they are running the 4430 for the 1GHz and 1.2GHz models though.
SvenC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by SvenC »

Archos.de has following offer:

ARCHOS 101 G9 Turbo 16 GB 349.99 Ôé¼ Inkl. MwSt.

Only this one, neither the HDD model nor the 80 turbo model... but it seems, Archos can produce with 1.2 GHz chip now. :D
letama
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by letama »

Harfainx wrote:I wonder when this will hit the US stores. I do think that they are running the 4430 for the 1GHz and 1.2GHz models though.
Well, looking at kernel code, it seems that they have all options covered, "real" 4430 1.2 (TI certified, not a "homemade" overclock) and also 4460 1.2. If someone with a turbo model could post a dmesg, we should be able to know exactly what's inside.

What concerns me is memory, because even with the elite "Archos memory optimization", I don't see how they can shrink what I saw on Google 3.0 kernels:

#define PHYS_ADDR_DUCATI_SIZE (SZ_1M * 105)
#define PHYS_ADDR_DUCATI_MEM (PHYS_ADDR_SMC_MEM - PHYS_ADDR_DUCATI_SIZE - \
OMAP_ION_HEAP_SECURE_INPUT_SIZE)

105 MB of ram reserved for Ducati and on ours, a mere 17 MB ?
milkobgd
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by milkobgd »

http://www.arctablet.com/blog/archos-ta ... available/

The Archos 101 G9 Turbo using a TI OMAP 4430 CPU running at 1.2 GHz and offering 16 Gb of storage is now available. It sells for 349 euros at the Archos Store in Europe.
sarcho
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sarcho »

"At 349 euros, this 1.2 GHz model has no exceptionnal value for the money against the competition and it is probably wiser to wait for the 1.5 GHz model using an OMAP 4460 which should be available before end of December 2011."

I really agree. ...
Spilby
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Spilby »

Aaaarg! Why 101 Turbo 1.2 is avaliable but no 80 Turbo 1.2 ??? Ummm, maybe the screen problems with the 80 are still there?

Anyone has a new G9 80 version without the screen/speakers problem? :cry:
Brent212
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Brent212 »

SO frustrating that the 250 GB version seems to be nowhere near release. If it doesn't appear in december, I'm gonna have to move on.
jam78ilc
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by jam78ilc »

:-"
Well according to the changes in their website looks like January timeframe will be the month indeed for the remaining turbo G9 tablets......

jam78ilc
Krzy4 A7 {:-]
Archos 80G9 Turbo :-)
milkobgd
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by milkobgd »

jam78ilc wrote::-"
Well according to the changes in their website looks like January timeframe will be the month indeed for the remaining turbo G9 tablets......

jam78ilc
Turbo version: OMAPÔäó 4 smart multi-core ARM CORTEX A9 from 1.2GHz to 1.5GHz (at start of 2012).

that change is about a month old
Spilby
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Spilby »

Well, I have went to mediamarkt, and Archos G9 80 Turbo 1.2 was there! I don't understand why Archos don't sell the 80 Turbo in their web store, but mediamarkt have a lot of them.

I bought one and have this tablet in my home. All ok but... have the ripple effect!!! :( This problem wasn't solved on new tablets??? When I take the tablet and put my fingers in the rear part, making a little presion, the screen fault appears at the left corner. And now what we can do??? Archos think that we are idiots??? I'm sad! I will return this and don't buy another Archos product never!

Well, If someone buy a new G9 80 tablet, tell us if the problem with the screen is there. But I want to alert that in my case, is still there.
SvenC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by SvenC »

Yes. You can buy the turbo devices now, but not the HDD version.
swaaye
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by swaaye »

I have to say that the thought of a tablet with a spinning platter inside with its rotational momentum and potential head crash risk is a bit disheartening. Anyone have experience with a HDD equipped tablet?
Archos 80 G9 16GB (1.5GHz/512MB)
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

swaaye wrote:I have to say that the thought of a tablet with a spinning platter inside with its rotational momentum and potential head crash risk is a bit disheartening. Anyone have experience with a HDD equipped tablet?
Archos have been making HDD based tablets since 1999. Well in the beginning they were just non touch mp3 players, then since 2001 they've been showing color screen video players, already 20GB built-in HDD back then, then 3.5" PMP in 2003, and their first touch screen tablet with a HDD in 2004, there is no problem having a modern Seagate shock proof HDD in your tablet. They have all kinds of shock proof technology and on top of that Archos has 4GB of cache flash storage that gets filled up with data from the HDD that is then immediately stopped thus the HDD spins maybe only 1% of the time that you use the device. Depending of course what data on the HDD you try to access. The Android OS, apps and indexes are all stored in Flash no matter what. The HDD spins up only when you start playing new multimedia files stored on it.
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Farsquidge »

Charbax wrote:
swaaye wrote:I have to say that the thought of a tablet with a spinning platter inside with its rotational momentum and potential head crash risk is a bit disheartening. Anyone have experience with a HDD equipped tablet?
Archos have been making HDD based tablets since 1999. Well in the beginning they were just non touch mp3 players, then since 2001 they've been showing color screen video players, already 20GB built-in HDD back then, then 3.5" PMP in 2003, and their first touch screen tablet with a HDD in 2004, there is no problem having a modern Seagate shock proof HDD in your tablet. They have all kinds of shock proof technology and on top of that Archos has 4GB of cache flash storage that gets filled up with data from the HDD that is then immediately stopped thus the HDD spins maybe only 1% of the time that you use the device. Depending of course what data on the HDD you try to access. The Android OS, apps and indexes are all stored in Flash no matter what. The HDD spins up only when you start playing new multimedia files stored on it.
Yep, my Archos 5IT's HDD is still in perfect working order. All you have to do is treat them with respect, as you would a laptop...
605Wi, A5IMT, A5IT, A7o 8GB:2.4.82
T.A Blet
Archos User
Archos User

Post by T.A Blet »

SvenC wrote:Yes. You can buy the turbo devices now, but not the HDD version.
The 80 G9 1.2Ghz is not available in MY Archos store
Coming soon, it says.
So if Mediamarkt is selling them, that's strange indeed.
Spilby
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Spilby »

T.A Blet wrote:
SvenC wrote:Yes. You can buy the turbo devices now, but not the HDD version.
The 80 G9 1.2Ghz is not available in MY Archos store
Coming soon, it says.
So if Mediamarkt is selling them, that's strange indeed.
Yes, is very strange... I thought the same, but mediamarkt of a lot of cities in my country (Spain) sell the 80 turbo version. But I repeat: with the screen problem. Maybe Archos want to sell all the stock with this problem in some physical shops, and when finish, sell in their store the correct tablets??? :doubt:

I post again my warning:

"I bought one and have this tablet in my home. All ok but... have the ripple effect!!! :( This problem wasn't solved on new tablets??? When I take the tablet and put my fingers in the rear part, making a little presion, the screen fault appears at the left corner. And now what we can do??? Archos think that we are idiots??? I'm sad! I will return this and don't buy another Archos product never!

Well, If someone buy a new G9 80 tablet, tell us if the problem with the screen is there. But I want to alert that in my case, is still there."
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

G9 101 Turbo 1.2GHz model is showing in the US Archos store now! :!:

$399 for the Turbo, $369 for the classic.
swaaye
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by swaaye »

Charbax wrote: Archos have been making HDD based tablets since 1999. Well in the beginning they were just non touch mp3 players, then since 2001 they've been showing color screen video players, already 20GB built-in HDD back then, then 3.5" PMP in 2003, and their first touch screen tablet with a HDD in 2004, there is no problem having a modern Seagate shock proof HDD in your tablet. They have all kinds of shock proof technology and on top of that Archos has 4GB of cache flash storage that gets filled up with data from the HDD that is then immediately stopped thus the HDD spins maybe only 1% of the time that you use the device. Depending of course what data on the HDD you try to access. The Android OS, apps and indexes are all stored in Flash no matter what. The HDD spins up only when you start playing new multimedia files stored on it.
I am definitely interested in the 250gb models. Hopefully they show up for sale someday! :)
Archos 80 G9 16GB (1.5GHz/512MB)
SvenC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by SvenC »

I have the stick, I have the contract....but I don't have the 250GB turbo device. ;)
I hope....
afsalas
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by afsalas »

Hi,

For those who are interested in the Archos 80 G9 Turbo (16G), it's seems it's available on the USA Archos website for 319.99 US$. Take a look

http://store.archos.com/archos-p-5016.html

Bye

Return to “General G9 discussions”