Archos G9 1.2Ghz October and 1.5Ghz December availability

General topics about the Archos G9 series if those topics don't fit in a specific model category below. Also discuss your ideas, suggestions, hopes, wishes, rumors, informations in here.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Archos G9 1.2Ghz October and 1.5Ghz December availabilit

Post by Charbax »

exelletor wrote:
Charbax wrote: The Archos G9 comes with 2 usb host ports, one at the 3G stick compartment supposed to only work for the Archos 3G Stick (reason being only the Archos 3G stick is thin and compact enough to fit, and that they cannot guarantee the support of other 3G usb sticks that require other drivers to work), and you can use the main Micro-USB connector as a USB host using the Micro-USB to Normal-USB adapter.
Charbax, I have much respect for you, but have you watch the video I posted above? :) They show 1TB HDD powering and working from the port which is supposed to work only for Archos 3G stick.
Yeah sure, it can do it, but if you use that port for the 3G stick, you can also use the second USB host using the normal Micro USB to Normal USB adapter.

I don't think you will find many tablets in the world which have 2 USB Host ports, Archos G9 does have the two.
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by butterflygirl »

exelletor wrote:
Charbax wrote: The Archos G9 comes with 2 usb host ports, one at the 3G stick compartment supposed to only work for the Archos 3G Stick (reason being only the Archos 3G stick is thin and compact enough to fit, and that they cannot guarantee the support of other 3G usb sticks that require other drivers to work), and you can use the main Micro-USB connector as a USB host using the Micro-USB to Normal-USB adapter.
Charbax, I have much respect for you, but have you watch the video I posted above? :) They show 1TB HDD powering and working from the port which is supposed to work only for Archos 3G stick.
I have been running a 1TB hard drive from the 3g dongle port.
rushmore
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by rushmore »

exelletor wrote:

That is cool. Means I could put a thumbdrive there too? Wonder if there is space. I will review the vid.

Update: Cool! :) I could maybe get into this now. Smaller tablet with full USB host and the drive nested out of the way (not sticking out).

I can see me getting this now :)

Come on Charby, big man hug!
Wavelength 405
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Wavelength 405 »

Spilby
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Spilby »

Charbax wrote:Archos publishes an update on the faster OMAP4 processor speed availability in the G9 tablets:

Archos G9 Turbo 1.2Ghz models start to be released by the end of October.

Archos G9 Turbo (Plus?) 1.5Ghz models start to be released by December.

Archos G9 1Ghz are being released right now.

It seems that there is still no confirmation if the Turbo tablets come with 1GB RAM or not. Price difference for Turbo seems to be to pay $30 more, which doubles ROM to 16GB and might also double RAM to 1GB.
I'm reading the facebook page publication of Archos but I dont understand the same that you wrote: "Archos G9 Turbo 1.2Ghz models start to be released by the end of October". They say that the hard disk Turbo model by the end of october, but don't say anything about the Flash Turbo versions. A few days ago they said that theses models will come at the begin of october. That's wrong? Or they change the dates another time?
Myth0S
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by Myth0S »

When i contacted the e-shop that i made my preorder they told me that they got a new date of Estimated arrival which is 19/10/2011
porusm
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by porusm »

Still don't like Archos using Facebook for such updates.
kmd1970
Archos User
Archos User

Post by kmd1970 »

Here we go, another pushed back release date. :( I am quickly losing faith in Archos and might have to turn my full attention back to Samsung and the Exynos 4212. Lets see what Samsung announces in their Oct 11th event.
gte105u
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gte105u »

The fact you can power a full hard drive off the 3g slot is pretty slick. I am assuming you cannot mount two storage devices in it at once correct? But I figure you could put a storage device in one and a mouse single in the other. Is the micro host full power?
A70 250GB|Acer A500|HTC Thunderbolt
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by butterflygirl »

gte105u wrote:The fact you can power a full hard drive off the 3g slot is pretty slick. I am assuming you cannot mount two storage devices in it at once correct? But I figure you could put a storage device in one and a mouse single in the other. Is the micro host full power?
I tried to mount 2 at the same time and it wouldn't mount the second one. Running a 1tb hard drive off it is pretty cool.
Hajile_Ibushi
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Hajile_Ibushi »

butterflygirl wrote:
gte105u wrote:The fact you can power a full hard drive off the 3g slot is pretty slick. I am assuming you cannot mount two storage devices in it at once correct? But I figure you could put a storage device in one and a mouse single in the other. Is the micro host full power?
I tried to mount 2 at the same time and it wouldn't mount the second one. Running a 1tb hard drive off it is pretty cool.
Try mounting a harddrive with 2 partitions, i'm guessing the second one won't show up.
TME
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by TME »

I'm a little bit confused here regarding the reports of using the 3G USB host for HDDs.

1) Did you plug in the HDD directly to the 3G USB host? Or did you have a extension?

2) Did you try plugging in the HDD directly to the micro-USB host using an convertor? Did it work? Could you play back a movie?

Thanks!
TME
Singapore
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by butterflygirl »

I plugged it directly into 3g usb port. Just used the cable that came with the hard drive. Would not mount on micro-usb even with external power.
heron61
Archos User
Archos User

Post by heron61 »

butterflygirl wrote:I plugged it directly into 3g usb port. Just used the cable that came with the hard drive.
That's awesome news, I'm betting a usb keyboard will work just as well.
Would not mount on micro-usb even with external power.
Did you use a simple adapter or a cable rated for usb OTG to try to hook the hard drive to the micro usb port?

I've read that most adapters (like this one http://www.amazon.com/USB-Micro-Female- ... 259&sr=8-1) specifically don't allow usb host capability, and you need an ubs OTG rated cable.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

heron61 wrote:
Did you use a simple adapter or a cable rated for usb OTG to try to hook the hard drive to the micro usb port?

I've read that most adapters (like this one http://www.amazon.com/USB-Micro-Female- ... 259&sr=8-1) specifically don't allow usb host capability, and you need an ubs OTG rated cable.
Yup, I think the micro to normal USB adapter needs to be special for supporting USB Host
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by butterflygirl »

heron61 wrote:
butterflygirl wrote:I plugged it directly into 3g usb port. Just used the cable that came with the hard drive.

Used OTG cable from newmp3technology. Wired usb and micro wireless usb keyboards work with OTG cable but not 3g usb port.
TME
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by TME »

butterflygirl wrote:
heron61 wrote:

Used OTG cable from newmp3technology. Wired usb and micro wireless usb keyboards work with OTG cable but not 3g usb port.
Thanks for your prompt reply! :)

You mean even with this OTG cable, the HDD will not power up on the microUSB host port?

Unfortunately for me in Singapore, I don't even have an ETA to look forward to... the distributor has given me a short no ETA reply... Archos if you're reading this, do take a look at tiny Singapore...
TME
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by TME »

butterflygirl wrote:I plugged it directly into 3g usb port. Just used the cable that came with the hard drive. Would not mount on micro-usb even with external power.
I find it interesting that the G8 was made with a dedicated full USB host port and the G9 does not have one except the 3G USB host which in their words was made for the 3G dongle... wonder why? Is it so difficult to make the micro-USB port work as well?

If it was not for the powerful AV playback capability, I would buy an Acer Iconia Tab A500 as it's one of few HC tablets that spot a USB host meant for connecting USB HDDs...
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

TME wrote:
butterflygirl wrote:I plugged it directly into 3g usb port. Just used the cable that came with the hard drive. Would not mount on micro-usb even with external power.
I find it interesting that the G8 was made with a dedicated full USB host port and the G9 does not have one except the 3G USB host which in their words was made for the 3G dongle... wonder why? Is it so difficult to make the micro-USB port work as well?

If it was not for the powerful AV playback capability, I would buy an Acer Iconia Tab A500 as it's one of few HC tablets that spot a USB host meant for connecting USB HDDs...
I was told that the Micro USB also functions as a full power 500mW USB Host connector. Maybe the early firmware does not enable it yet, as you see with the 3G Stick USB Host there is a software function in Honeycomb "3G Stick = ON/OFF" that needs to be switched for the power and the USB host functionality to turn on, so maybe we just need this to be enabled in software, maybe the new firmware to be released today does it.
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by butterflygirl »

@TME
I have not been successful getting an HDD to mount with or without external power using the OTG cable. It sees that it is trying to mount, but only gives me a message in the notification bar that "external storage can be safely removed."

Return to “General G9 discussions”