Archos RAM

General topics about the Archos G9 series if those topics don't fit in a specific model category below. Also discuss your ideas, suggestions, hopes, wishes, rumors, informations in here.
Driftwood
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Archos RAM

Post by Driftwood »

This discussion has made me think more about what I need in a tablet.

In some ways I'm like frahse, in the past I always bought PC Tech one step behind bleeding edge to increase it's useful life expectancy. The computer I'm typing this on is mostly 10 years old, I say mostly because it's died and been resurrected with an infusion of castaway parts. Since it's finally nearing the end of it's useful life, I've been looking into the current state of PC's, Laptops and Tablets to catch up and get a feel for the lay of the land as it were. Since there are no parts in my PC that will carry over to a new one that I might possibly build, I took a step back and asked myself "What do I want my PC to do for me?" and "Could my needs be served by something else?"

The defining question turned out to be "What can't my current PC do that I want it to do?". The answer was play games and watch HD/Full HD videos. Even as it is now, it has the processing power to run Open Office for productivity work for another 20 years, baring fatal hardware failure. A PS3 & PSP took care of the gaming bit. So what I needed is a media device, something that combined an e-reader, music and video player. At first I looked at e-readers+ as I call them, the color e-readers that also did music and video, but they were often very limited in their scope of supported file formats and had very low screen resolution nearly all with no way to output that video. That's when I began looking at Android based tablets. I'm getting older and despite the crispness of some of the small screens they are simply too much of a strain on my eyes, so I've focused on those in the 10" range which are roughly the dimensions of a standard sheet of paper [US 8 1/2"x11"].

As someone else mentioned the Android landscape is fragmented and it quickly became clear that finding what I wanted was going to take a significant amount of searching. After a few days I had it mostly sorted out, settling on either a Creative Labs ZiiO or the Archos 101 [what I later learned is dubbed the G8 here]. Both seemed to cover everything I needed, but neither had direct access to the Android Marketplace (AM). A fairly large minus in my book as they weren't "google approved", but in searching I saw that Archos had announced their new G9 tablets would have AM. A point in Archos's favor.

Now for the actual G9 Stuff.

Looking at the sated stats for the G9 it was an even better fit to my needs, barring that Subtitle format bit I mentioned in the other thread. Being Android powered it can use Kimble/Nook or any number of other e-readers, supported FLAC audio [99% of my music is in FLAC format now] and could even play H.264+FLAC MKVs @ 1080p, meaning I don't have to convert any of my videos [all 1.8TB worth] for playback. It's portable, has an option for G3 and insanely nice battery life. Oh and I would love to give special mention the 3G adapter. The G9 info page lists it as costing 49 euros which at current exchange rates puts it @ around $70US. Which is on par with the cost of a USB 3G adapter from Virgin Mobile [$70 @ Walmart] and less then Verizon or AT&T [both $100 @ Walmart]. Not that I would ever use 3G as the data plans are too small [500MB/month for $50]. I average 70 - 100GB of bandwidth a month, I watch a lot of Netflix and rent HD movies from Sony [@5-6GB each].

As for the Ram, I'm with many others and won't get the tablet if it has less then 1Gb, I'm a heavy multitasker. For example, on my PC right now I have 2 web browsers open [Firefox and Chrome] with 11/15 tabs open each, plus 2 Open Office documents, 1 Word Pad document and a PDF while I have a video encoder and Bit Torrent open in the background. This is common for me. My poor single core processor is begging me to let it die. ;)

Someone mentioned that they were surprised at the speed with which multi-core tablets became available. Given the state of the PC industry at large, I'm not. I am a little surprised that quad cores are here this quickly though [with a 12 core!!!! GPU], didn't expect them for another year or so.

The Tablet landscape is changing very quickly, reminds me of the early 3D GPU days with their 6 month life cycle. :)

edit: Just received an e-mail from Creative Labs, it seems that the ZiiO supports MKV but not Subtitles!!! What the Heck! Having multiple sound and sub tracks is kinda the point of using MKV over say MP4. >_<
Last edited by Driftwood on Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
fox403
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by fox403 »

nice interesting write-up driftwood and agree with u,, donÔÇÖt spend money on the things u donÔÇÖt need, I love my gadgets have quad core overclocked water cooled fast pc, galaxy tab,laptop,moto defy clocked,archos tab 5,latest canon camera and I still search for more goodies I donÔÇÖt need, things change fast and I always say ooo why didnÔÇÖt I wait for that one! After I get the g9 THATS IT!!!!:)
[email protected]
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Post by [email protected] »

MarcusMarcus wrote:What ever the RAM amount. I hope they improve the internal flash. The flash in the current gen 8s is too slow. When the tablet has to load an app (or reload an app because it did not have enough RAM to keep it running) it takes a while to load, especially when it has to keep reloading the launcher. If they would get a decently fast flash inside the tablets, the low amount of RAM would not be as noticeable. Still would prefer 1GB of RAM though.
You will be well pleased with the internal flash on the G9s.
ixtroisy
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by ixtroisy »

[email protected] wrote:
MarcusMarcus wrote:What ever the RAM amount. I hope they improve the internal flash. The flash in the current gen 8s is too slow. When the tablet has to load an app (or reload an app because it did not have enough RAM to keep it running) it takes a while to load, especially when it has to keep reloading the launcher. If they would get a decently fast flash inside the tablets, the low amount of RAM would not be as noticeable. Still would prefer 1GB of RAM though.
You will be well pleased with the internal flash on the G9s.
Arrrgh! this is a teaser :) I'm getting even more interested!
WMTOANDROID
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by WMTOANDROID »

Honeycomb tablets must have at LEAST 1GB ram in my opinion. Forget this 512mb nonsense. The OS takes up close to 500mb on it's own and most browsers will use up 60mb - 160mb with just a few tabs open. Put a few widgets and background services and you'll be begging for more RAM.

My ipad 2 has 512mb and CONSTANTLY gives low memory warnings when running third-party web browsers. With some games, you have to close all programs in order to run them! This isn't how we should be using our devices - it should run what we want regardless of what else is running in the background. These are mobile apps for god sakes, not desktop PC software - we shouldn't be worrying about running out of memory.

2GB should be the starting point for all tablets in 2012.
[email protected]
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Post by [email protected] »

WMTOANDROID wrote:Honeycomb tablets must have at LEAST 1GB ram in my opinion. Forget this 512mb nonsense. The OS takes up close to 500mb on it's own and most browsers will use up 60mb - 160mb with just a few tabs open. Put a few widgets and background services and you'll be begging for more RAM.

My ipad 2 has 512mb and CONSTANTLY gives low memory warnings when running third-party web browsers. With some games, you have to close all programs in order to run them! This isn't how we should be using our devices - it should run what we want regardless of what else is running in the background. These are mobile apps for god sakes, not desktop PC software - we shouldn't be worrying about running out of memory.

Honeycomb only uses about 100mb of ram - not anywhere close to 500mb.

A minimum spec requirement to be able to have honeycomb on your device is 500mb.
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

WMTOANDROID wrote:Honeycomb tablets must have at LEAST 1GB ram in my opinion. Forget this 512mb nonsense. The OS takes up close to 500mb on it's own and most browsers will use up 60mb - 160mb with just a few tabs open. Put a few widgets and background services and you'll be begging for more RAM.

Honeycomb only takes ~90-100MB of RAM, not sure where you got your numbers, but they are dramatically inaccurate. Maybe the device you were looking at had a crazy UI on it (like HTC Sense) that ate up a ton of RAM.

You can't really compare how iOS and how Android handle RAM. RAM is generally not an issue with iOS devices because iOS is setup to almost immediately snapshot the app when it's exited and close it out. Only core apps actually stay running, everything else shuts down.
WMTOANDROID
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by WMTOANDROID »

Without splitting hairs here - please talk to anyone with a xoom, Transformer, A500, etc. and ask them how much free RAM they have after killing all running tasks - it will be approx. 360 - 500mb. It doesn't matter if Honeycomb SPECIFICALLY takes up that memory or not, but the fact is that Honeycomb tablets require more than 512mb to run smoothly (and allow for good multitasking).

So again, try to justify having only 512mb and you'll be shooting yourself in the foot.
ms07.guf
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ms07.guf »

I have an A70H
Is the few RAM the reason of jerky Streaming view ?!?!
I noticed on my father's GALAXY 7" that streaming is more fluid.

In this case I realy hope in 1GB RAM at least .......... I feel more sure to keep alive my GEN9 next tablet for more than few months !

thanks
sylvestor1234
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sylvestor1234 »

WMTOANDROID wrote:Without splitting hairs here - please talk to anyone with a xoom, Transformer, A500, etc. and ask them how much free RAM they have after killing all running tasks - it will be approx. 360 - 500mb. It doesn't matter if Honeycomb SPECIFICALLY takes up that memory or not, but the fact is that Honeycomb tablets require more than 512mb to run smoothly (and allow for good multitasking).

So again, try to justify having only 512mb and you'll be shooting yourself in the foot.

Well Said !!
ssj4megaman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ssj4megaman »

WMTOANDROID wrote:Without splitting hairs here - please talk to anyone with a xoom, Transformer, A500, etc. and ask them how much free RAM they have after killing all running tasks - it will be approx. 360 - 500mb. It doesn't matter if Honeycomb SPECIFICALLY takes up that memory or not, but the fact is that Honeycomb tablets require more than 512mb to run smoothly (and allow for good multitasking).

Pretty much this.... I was going to buy the Archos 101 gen 8 but once i found out it only had 256megs of ram i decided to wait because the Adam would have 1 gig of ram and a little bit more expensive....

Ended up getting a Transformer because I was finally able to find the tablet, and it had all the specs of the other tablets out there, but cheaper.... so I will EASILY ditch my Xformer for the gen9 only if it has 1 gig of ram which EVERY single honeycomb tablet has that I am aware of. Do not ship this tablet with only 512 ram OR at the very least, give us a 1 gig option.. I bet you you will get more orders for the 1 gig version than the 512 meg version.

Do not forget you will have alot more competition this summer since Kal-El is supposed to launch then, AND the next transformer (which is probably the best/ most sold) will have the Kal-el proc and I can bet you a kidney it will not ship with less than 1 gig of ram.
10robertb
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by 10robertb »

Perhaps one clue about the need for 1Gb of Ram is the case of the acer A100 7 inch tablet. It originally was supposed to
launch in May with Honeycomb 3.0 dual core 1GHZ processor and 512MB ram. The rumors about the delay were problems with Honeycomb on 7 inch tab. It is presumed Acer delayed waiting for Honeycomb 3.2. THis may have been part of the issue.
But now the A100 is being released this week and it now is sporting 1GB of ram. I hope Archos learns from Acer's
mistake otherwise we may see delayed launch of products with 512MB.
macr0t0r
Archos User
Archos User

Post by macr0t0r »

Well, I have two devices: An Archos 70 with the A8 1Ghz processor and 256MB of RAM, and an HTC Inspire with Snapdragon 1Ghz processor and 1GB of RAM.
I know the processors are a bit different, but they run at the same speed. Both are running Froyo.

The HTC Inspire flies through tasks, runs the Nook software without a hitch, and I can freely install a bunch of apps and transfer them to the SD card at my leisure.
The ARCHOS 70 will hang....for a looooong time in the Nook application. Starting other applications causes large delays. I have to continuously make sure that as many apps as possible are moved to the Flash, and often I have to simply do without some of the bigger apps. Some games fail due to memory constraints.

....I'm not doing this again....

Honeycomb is a bigger operating system that is designed specifically to multitask. Froyo required more memory than Eclair. Gingerbread required so much more memory that some companies had to de-bloat the software update or give up on it entirely. It's already known that Google stated that Honeycomb was meant for "higher performance" devices. If ARCHOS is truly intending to sell a HoneyComb tablet with 512MB of RAM, then I'll happily drop an extra $80 or so more for a tablet that won't be outdated prior to it being shipped to my door.

I loved my Archos A5. The Archos 70....is not bad....but the memory restriction was a strong mistake. Please learn from this mistake.

- Jim
- Jim (A5 8GB)
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

Inspire has 768MB of RAM, not 1GB... just so you know. ;)
macr0t0r
Archos User
Archos User

Post by macr0t0r »

Harfainx wrote:Inspire has 768MB of RAM, not 1GB... just so you know. ;)
768MB of "useable" RAM on the stock ROM. HTC Inspire/DesireHD is an odd beast. Technically, it has 2GB of RAM that it then "RAIDs" together. The fun thing is that if you root it and install "Gingerbeast" (An Inspire-flavor of AOSP Gingerbread), then you'll see the full 1GB. I currently have 857MB free!

Honestly, there may be more than just free RAM at play. HTC did some pretty neat tricks to make the phone snappy....but it costs QUITE a bit more than the Archos without a contract.

I'm just saying that the experience of not running out of RAM is worthy the extra cost if you intend to have this thing for longer than 6 months.

- Jim
- Jim (A5 8GB)
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

I completely agree with the difference the usable RAM can make. I went from an HTC EVO (512MB RAM) to an HTC EVO 3D (1GB RAM) and I could even tell the difference between those two. Of course the CPU is faster on the 3D, but there was a noticable difference with the RAM.

512MB really is still enough for Honeycomb, but it is pushing it. The OS can run, most all games can still run (even the newest high-end games), and you shouldn't completely run out of RAM. My wife still has her EVO and she plays a few big games (ones that eat up over 100MB of app space) and she never has any noticable slow-down or lack of RAM (even with HTC Sense eating up extra RAM that Archos doesn't have to worry about).

I personally believe that 512MB would be *enough* to run Honeycomb smoothly, but as I've stated before... If these tablets come out with less than 1GB, I'll wait for another company to offer me something better. I won't buy anything that's currently on the market because they all have the already out-dated Tegra 2 (out-dated because new technology is already coming). I'll wait until late Q3 this year and pick up a new generation tablet from another company if Archos falls through on the RAM.
zandoli
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by zandoli »

What if the Archos demos, shown by Charbax and the other bloggers, had 512MB of RAM would we still buy?

They seemed pretty smooth.

Acer Iconia A100 7in Tab with 1GB RAM, 1Ghz, Tegra 2, Android 3.2 has been released

-codec support not as great as Archos' (if its bigger brother is something to go by)
-5hr battery life (Archos quoted 7hr video playback battery life)
-angles on screen does not seem as great as Archos
-no USB host
-no kickstand

MSRP US $329.00 for 8GB
MSRP US $349.00 for 16GB

Walmart has the 8GB for US $349.00

decisions, decisions
8+32GB A101S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES1.1
heron61
Archos User
Archos User

Post by heron61 »

I'd love for the G9 to either have 1GB or RAM or at least an option for that much RAM, but it does seem that tablets can run Honeycomb with 512 MB - the Iconia Tab A100 has 512 MB RAM and sounds like it works well, and people are running the Dell Streak 7 (which also has 512 MB) on custom Honeycomb builds and supposedly it sucks less than it does running its standard RAM.
macr0t0r
Archos User
Archos User

Post by macr0t0r »

The Iconia A100 is right now my prime "alternate." FYI, the released version of the A100 actually has 1GB of RAM like its big brother, not 512MB:
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/press/2011/23046
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/201 ... eekend.ars

An XDA developer also noted it has GPS. You'll see a comment on that in the Ars Technica comments as well. Interesting that Walmart is selling it for more than MSRP. :doubt:

Anyhow, I look forward to a side-by-side comparison. I still really like the Archos70 due to it being one of the lightest 7" tabs and the great battery life. It really is a better eBook reader than the Nook. I just sometimes get really fatigued by the RAM issue at times.

- Jim
- Jim (A5 8GB)
HDH1998
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by HDH1998 »

Remind me again why of all the videos out there of the G9 no one has opened settings and checked how much RAM is installed. Its mid August and beta/protos aside the units in videos should be what will be shipped in a few weeks. Come on Charbax and Craig just tell us what it says on the units you are using. S'il vous plai.

Thank you, we now return you to your regular broadcast.

@ frahse/Driftwood I Like my A70/8. It functions well for simple tasks but I do adjust apps according to RAM too frequently. Its a little too small for everyday office use but is great as a travel companion rather than taking a laptop. I find the 7" models, regardless of OEM, to be on the gadget side. The latest 10" HC tablets are geared more towards being tools and despite my desire to have a tablet that is pocketable they can replace an everyday laptop/desktop. I think most people on forums like this tend to forget that we are on the 5% side that know what the difference of RAM and HD are and that the monitor is NOT the computer. That being said tablets can be used for the exact same functions that netbooks can for about the same price range. So if a netbook will do what you want then I would drop the dough for a tablet, if they cant do what you want then it will be a gadget that will soon collect dust.

Return to “General G9 discussions”