It was worth the wait. Full HD Archos Gen 9 Androids is here

General topics about the Archos G9 series if those topics don't fit in a specific model category below. Also discuss your ideas, suggestions, hopes, wishes, rumors, informations in here.
gottahavit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: It was worth the wait. Full HD Archos Gen 9 Androids is

Post by gottahavit »

yes it will PLAY full HD,HOWEVER the point I am trying to make is that does not mean it plays back blu-ray hd without re-encoding. Many people will read full hd and interpret as Blu-ray standards.IF that is the case then re-encoding to 1080p for a device that has a 720p native resolution is a waste of time and space. BTW you're h.264 L4.1 wont play either according to the specs.

I'm done with this dicussion since either we are talking about different things or you simply refuse to understand WHY I am trying to make this point. BTW given you're interest in "FULL HDD" you know you can have that with any tegra 2 device today? still not bluray specs though!

Mr_Archos wrote:
gottahavit wrote:no question the gen 8 plays 720p just fine as do the tegra2 devices with 3.1.

however bluray is h.264 l5.1 at 1080p or vc-1 at 1080p. reading specs neither of these will play on gen 9. thats the only point i'm trying to make. too many people here throw around vague statemments about thing like this and then others make assumptions based on them and buy something that doesnt do what they want or dont buy something because they heard it wouldn't work.
Gosh when is Full HD not Full HD?

After ripping and recoding several Blu Rays to MKV HD with H.264/AVC codec, my video utility (Mediainfo) confirms that all my MKV HD recodes are all 1080p but are High [email protected] We all know that any video file that has a resolution of 1080p is a Full HD video file not a 720p video file.

Yes Blu Ray is [email protected] and mine is [email protected]

Here is my question, just because my video recodes are [email protected] and not [email protected] does this suddenly mean that my recodes that are 1080p are not Full HD.

How can a MKV HD video with a resolution of 1080p not be Full HD unless it is [email protected]????

Am scratching my head here.....aaaarrggghhh!!!

Can anyone explain to me??
scottmcp432
Archos User
Archos User

Post by scottmcp432 »

Hmmm, I might buy a Gen9 if they can come up with a satisfactory firmware by this time next year,lol.
A101,A5IMT,MBP,iPhone4,AsusG53JW
JayFord
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by JayFord »

Ach wrote:I'm an hd snob when it comes to my TV and blu Ray player, home theater etc, but on a 10 inch tablet? Heck even dvd quality makes me happy on the Archos LOL

The Gen 9 is pretty cool! Am I gonna upgrade? Probably not, at least not any time this year, I just got my Gen 8 and I'm happy! Does everything I need!
.....Nuff said!!

(However, still lusting after gen 9 10.1)
paulus3476
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by paulus3476 »

That seems to have done the trick ! !
ponghclub
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ponghclub »

my02vr6 wrote:
ponghclub wrote:I have A70it and happy with it except user interface on 'swith to tv' in my opinion i think it lousy......gen9 change all that...hope gen9 is good as they say. ;)
Works fine for me :?
Archos wrote:

Android on TV (HDMI out)
Thanks to the mini-HDMI port on the ARCHOS G9 tablets you can quickly and easily plug your G9 tablet into your HDTV. With full screen mirroring, you can take your Android experience to the big screen to share with friends or family. Or simply use your ARCHOS G9 tablet as an HD media player; combined with the ARCHOS remote control app for Android2, you can control your ARCHOS G9 tablet from your Android telephone.

so as you can see gen8 need improve this feather cause we're all have netflix, stream to tv and on..on..working on archos device. My next android tablet will be archos gen9 101 cause it have all feather i need. ;)
Hajile_Ibushi
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Hajile_Ibushi »

Guess we'll have to wait for someone to actually try it. The gen8's also say 3.1, but my 101 can play 4.1 anime as well. I really think the number of refernce frames is a big factor on what kind of profile it can actually play.
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

Let's keep Gen9 threads in the Gen9 section.
Simplename
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Simplename »

ponghclub wrote:I have A70it and happy with it except user interface on 'swith to tv' in my opinion i think it lousy......gen9 change all that...hope gen9 is good as they say. ;)
That was my biggest disappointment with the gen8. I got an hdmi cable and then realized it wasnt dual screen and the image was pixelated anyway because the 70 wasnt hd. Who thought using the tablet as a touchpad would be intuitive whatsoever? Totally worthless without a wacom screen.

To the point, i believe i made the right choice. If there is no 7", it isnt pulling me in. A 4:3 8" will just unwieldy to me. I like using the 70 upright because it offers a perfect keyboard size. You can hold it in one hand no problem.
nz
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Post by nz »

gottahavit wrote:not sure why you're so antagnoistic, just trying to make sure we have facts. Maybe I'm reading something wrong, but looking at the link you posted i see this...

H.264 HD ([email protected] up to 1080p)

that's a typo on the website, sorry it will be fixed soon.
nz
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Post by nz »

Archos wrote: Video Playback1
ÔÇó MPEG-4 HD (up to 1080p)
ÔÇó MPEG-42 ([email protected] AVI, up to DVD resolution)
ÔÇó H.264 HD ([email protected], up to 1080p)
ÔÇó WMV9/VC1 (AP up to 1080p)

With optional plug-in:
ÔÇó Cinema: MPEG2 (up to DVD resolution MP/D1)
With the above codecs, the device can play video files with the following extensions: AVI, MP4, MOV, 3GP, MPG, PS, TS, VOB, MKV, FLV, RM, RMVB, ASF, WMV

Webcam
ÔÇó 720p front camera with 720p encoding
Miscellaneous
ÔÇó Built-in GPS
L3.1 is a typo, it should say 4.2
Hajile_Ibushi
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Hajile_Ibushi »

Please say the 1Ghz 16Gig 101 was a typo too.
crashmw
Archos User
Archos User

Post by crashmw »

Do you guys really have Archos units (especially the A70) that play back videos without rebooting?
I am envious. I have the 101 and the 70, and like the graphics of the 70 much more than the 101, but cannot seem to get consistent video playback on the thing -which is a real PIA since I use it primarily for use in the car for my daughter who is now 14months old. There is nothing quite like starting a video, then getting on the highway only to see in the mirror that the A70 is rebooting, which means there is no way for me to restart the video without pulling off the highway in order to quiet an upset baby. (I am unlucky in that the car does NOT woo my child to sleep, and she HATES being restrained). The Archos units have been a godsend when it comes to drives of 20+ minutes -when they work. The 101 is in the wife's car and has been reliable for the most part.
The A70 on the other hand...frustrating. Sometimes it works without fail, usually when I am testing it...but it reliably fails in the car (with and w/o charger connected).
I am really tempted by the Gen9 units, but have such low confidence that it will operate without constantly wanting to reboot.

MW
Hajile_Ibushi
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Hajile_Ibushi »

crashmw wrote:Do you guys really have Archos units (especially the A70) that play back videos without rebooting?
I am envious. I have the 101 and the 70, and like the graphics of the 70 much more than the 101, but cannot seem to get consistent video playback on the thing -which is a real PIA since I use it primarily for use in the car for my daughter who is now 14months old. There is nothing quite like starting a video, then getting on the highway only to see in the mirror that the A70 is rebooting, which means there is no way for me to restart the video without pulling off the highway in order to quiet an upset baby. (I am unlucky in that the car does NOT woo my child to sleep, and she HATES being restrained). The Archos units have been a godsend when it comes to drives of 20+ minutes -when they work. The 101 is in the wife's car and has been reliable for the most part.
The A70 on the other hand...frustrating. Sometimes it works without fail, usually when I am testing it...but it reliably fails in the car (with and w/o charger connected).
I am really tempted by the Gen9 units, but have such low confidence that it will operate without constantly wanting to reboot.

MW
It's apparently a bug in the wifi that's been fixed in the recent firmware update. Apparently, if you leave an area with your wifi on, the Archos will continiously try to reconnect until it overloads itself and crashes. I handled that on my 101 by turning off the wifi before leaving the house. But i hadn't needed to do that since i updated the firmware.
crashmw
Archos User
Archos User

Post by crashmw »

Thanks for the heads up. I tried that last night before seeing your reply. I turned the WiFi off when I turned the unit on in the car, then it froze. After rebooting, it APPEARED to work fine. This time was only a 15 minute drive to the gym, and later, 15 minutes back, but it worked.
Keeping my fingers crossed. T
Thanks again,
MW
jntaylor63
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jntaylor63 »

To be able to play 1080p L4 rips is a big deal to me. All of my Blu-Rays have been ripped with Ripbot using the DivX Plus-HD setting and stored on a media server to stream. Now I can just copy the video off the server and NOT have to rip again to make a copy to take with me.
jiyong
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by jiyong »

jntaylor63 wrote:To be able to play 1080p L4 rips is a big deal to me. All of my Blu-Rays have been ripped with Ripbot using the DivX Plus-HD setting and stored on a media server to stream. Now I can just copy the video off the server and NOT have to rip again to make a copy to take with me.
I'm not familiar with DivX Plus-HD (but my LG TV says it can play those), but I have ripped a few BD movies with MakeMKV. A BD movie will come in at around 20 to 25 GB. Have fun uploading that to your tablet.

If you really want to take full quality BD rips with you, you might be better off with a USB 3 device and connect that to your tablet. Although Gen 9 will have the option for a 250 GB HD, you can wonder how fast you can upload a movie to the HD, as I suspect it will only have USB 2.
nz
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Post by nz »

jntaylor63 wrote:To be able to play 1080p L4 rips is a big deal to me. All of my Blu-Rays have been ripped with Ripbot using the DivX Plus-HD setting and stored on a media server to stream. Now I can just copy the video off the server and NOT have to rip again to make a copy to take with me.
would you have a small sample available?

Return to “General G9 discussions”