It was worth the wait. Full HD Archos Gen 9 Androids is here

General topics about the Archos G9 series if those topics don't fit in a specific model category below. Also discuss your ideas, suggestions, hopes, wishes, rumors, informations in here.
Mr_Archos
Archos User
Archos User

It was worth the wait. Full HD Archos Gen 9 Androids is here

Post by Mr_Archos »

My wait for a HoneyComb Full HD Archos Gen 9 is over.

Since I got my Archos 43 last year, I decided to hold on buying a 7 or 10 inch Archos Tablet until it could run Honeycomb. So the Archos 70 and 101 were ignored and temptation them to by resisted and resisted.

The website "Android and Me" says that Archos has announced Dual Core full HD playing (thats is H.264 High Profile @L4.1! wooooooooooooow) Archos Gen 9 Androids running HoneyComb, website URL below.

With Europe's big version of the annual big CES event coming up in Berlin, Germany in September 2nd 2011 (the annual IFA 2011), I suggest anyone with an Archos Gen8, visit the Berlin event to test the new Gen9 Archos devices. I will be going there myself and update this forum about my 4 hour test on the androids (yep I plan to spend minimum 4 hours at the Archos booth). Back in 2010, Archos Gen 8 were actually announced at IFA 2010.

September 2011 can come sooner, cannot contain my excitement about Gen 9!!!!

Where the hell is my Berlin map?????

Godfrey.

P.S. To hell with Motorola xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab or the Ipad 2, here comes Archos Gen9!!

P.S.P.S. Only the Archos Gen 9 can play full HD H.264/AVC videos (thats is H.264 at High Profile @L4.1! No other tablets can decode 1080p H264 High Profile Level 4.1video, and current standard tablets are not even able to play 720p H264 High Profile smoothly.

P.S.P.S.P.S.
Archos Gen 9 comes with 3G built-in!. The ARCHOS G9 3G Stick has been specially designed to fit perfectly into the back of any G9 tablet. Just remove the cover and slide in the ARCHOS G9 3G Stick to unleash the full portability of your ARCHOS G9 tablet.

This cutting-edge 3G stick offers one 3G solution for both a tablet and a laptop and uses just one data plan1. Offered as a Pay-As-You-Go Plan, there is no subscription required and the consumer need only pay for what they need when they need it.

http://androidandme.com/2011/06/news/ar ... he-101-g9/
Zenstrive
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Re: It was worth the wait. Full HD Archos Gen 9 Androids is

Post by Zenstrive »

H.264 High Profile @L4.1

does this mean we can play MKV with ref frame > 9?
Mr_Archos
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Mr_Archos »

Zenstrive wrote:H.264 High Profile @L4.1

does this mean we can play MKV with ref frame > 9?
Looks like it, confirmed specs is Full HD (not 720p) MP4 HD, DiVx HD or MKV HD video using h.264/AVC codec with High [email protected] 4.1. You asked if the Gen 9 can play ref frame >9. I yes it can play MKV HD video with high Reference Frames, but maybe not >9 rather but just 9 ref frames or more realistically >8 8) .

Remember the Gen 9 is just a bloody tablet, if you wanna watch really tough MKV HDs say encoded at h.264/AVC High [email protected] 5.1 and 14 ref frames or more , you not gonna use a tablet for Christ's sake, but rather a fast 4 or 6 or 8 core Dell XPS super game computer or similar!

The current iphones Gen 4, iPad2 and Archos Gen 8, only play 720p HD using h.264/AVC codec with main [email protected] 3.

However I can run on my Archos 43, a 720p Battle LA MKV HD video encoded with h.264/AVC codec with high [email protected] 4.1 but the video is 720p and not Full HD.

Any attempt to run another Battle LA video file I have that is Full HD (1080p) ripped from Blu Ray Battle LA and encoded with h.264/AVC codec with high [email protected] 4.1 using Nero Digital AVC Recode software causes the Archos 43 to freeze then horribly crash and have to reboot it.

So the fact that Gen9 can play Full HD h.264/AVC codec with high [email protected] 4.1 is awesome, but thanks to its new super dual core processor based on the new generation Texas Instruments 1.5 GHz dual-core ARM CORTEX A9 OMAP4 and the fact that Honeycomb is optimized for playing Full HD videos. Awesome.

But it's a new product and specs may change at the retail version (hope not).
All in all very HOT reason not to buy iPad2, Motorola xoom, Dell Streak, HTC Flyer etc etc. and instead by a Gen 9 tablet.

Godfrey.
gottahavit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gottahavit »

Its still pointless if you cant play full bluray rips. If you have to re-encode anyway you're better off with the highest quality 720p you can make since its a 720p tablet.
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Farsquidge »

gottahavit wrote:Its still pointless if you cant play full bluray rips. If you have to re-encode anyway you're better off with the highest quality 720p you can make since its a 720p tablet.
Have to agree. Also I'd suggest the old A5IT & Gen8 mantra, 'Await the facts before believing the fiction' .
605Wi, A5IMT, A5IT, A7o 8GB:2.4.82
Mr_Archos
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Mr_Archos »

Farsquidge wrote:
gottahavit wrote:Its still pointless if you cant play full bluray rips. If you have to re-encode anyway you're better off with the highest quality 720p you can make since its a 720p tablet.
Have to agree. Also I'd suggest the old A5IT & Gen8 mantra, 'Await the facts before believing the fiction' .
I think you got me confused buddy.

All Gen 8 Archos cannot play Full HD 1080p video as they are just 720p Tablets, so you cannot play full bluray rips on em.

However the new Gen 9 Archos can play any Full HD 1080p video so you CAN play full bluray rips on them.

The Archos Gen 9 specs website at
http://www.archos.com/products/gen9/spe ... us&lang=en says so... and thats not fiction buddy! 8)

Godfrey
Mr_Archos
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Mr_Archos »

Farsquidge wrote:
I think you got me confused buddy.

All Gen 8 Archos cannot play Full HD 1080p video as they are just 720p Tablets, so you cannot play full bluray rips on em.

However the new Gen 9 Archos can play any Full HD 1080p video so you CAN play full bluray rips on them because they are 1080p Tablets.

The Archos Gen 9 specs website confirms this at
http://www.archos.com/products/gen9/spe ... us&lang=en says so... and thats not fiction buddy! 8)

Godfrey

P.S. Most of 85 my Blu Ray rips encoded to 1080p h.264/AVC MKV HDs average 10GB per file, the 250 GB HDD version of the Gen 9 Archos is thus also good investment. Will use the Gen 9 Archos only for watching my HD movies library, as an alternative to watching them on my Mac Book. My Archos 43 remains my device for mobile web browsing, GPS stuff and ebook reading.
gottahavit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gottahavit »

not sure why you're so antagnoistic, just trying to make sure we have facts. Maybe I'm reading something wrong, but looking at the link you posted i see this...

H.264 HD ([email protected] up to 1080p)

that's what the current tegra 2 supports and is definitely NOT up to blu-ray spec. In fact blu-rays can be up to L5.1 There is also a note at the bottom about some h.264 bitrates and formats being incompatible.

again this is not an attack, if I misread something I apologize.

OH and of course it only plays vc-1 in WMV so about 1/3 of all blu-rays wouldn;t work even if it did play high profile h.264 L5.1

basically as far as I can tell this has about the same video playback specs as most of the tegra 2 honeycomb tablets, not talking containers, without a doubt archos supports more video containers than any other device without 3rd part applications.
Zenstrive
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by Zenstrive »

Gen 8 can play 720p HD encoded video with ref frame > 9 if you use QQ Player (app on market), but the FPS will be totaly low (10 fps or lower). But it's much better than green blocks we have with default video player.

Well, at least my Archos 70 can.
soulhunt79
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by soulhunt79 »

I'm actually surprised by how many people care about the 1080p on tablets. I find it extremely annoying to have to connect a HDMI cable, which is the only time 1080 matters. Now give me something like airplay for android and I'd be all over it. :)
gottahavit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gottahavit »

soulhunt79 wrote:I'm actually surprised by how many people care about the 1080p on tablets. I find it extremely annoying to have to connect a HDMI cable, which is the only time 1080 matters. Now give me something like airplay for android and I'd be all over it. :)
No actually it would be really nice to be able to play full bluray movies without re-encoding. Recently found Plex which definitely reduces the need for this when playing from network, but for local it would still be nice if playing a blu-ray copied to SDcard would work without an hour of re-encoding first.

That said IF you can't playback full Bluray then re-encoding to 1080p makes very little sense except as an exercise.
Zenstrive
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by Zenstrive »

soulhunt79 wrote:I'm actually surprised by how many people care about the 1080p on tablets.
I guess lotsa people have already encoded some movies into 1080p and doesn't want to reencode to less. They just want to copy and paste.

That being said, I don't have lotsa 1080p :)
Ach
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Ach »

I'm an hd snob when it comes to my TV and blu Ray player, home theater etc, but on a 10 inch tablet? Heck even dvd quality makes me happy on the Archos LOL

The Gen 9 is pretty cool! Am I gonna upgrade? Probably not, at least not any time this year, I just got my Gen 8 and I'm happy! Does everything I need!
Mr_Archos
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Mr_Archos »

gottahavit wrote:not sure why you're so antagnoistic, just trying to make sure we have facts. Maybe I'm reading something wrong, but looking at the link you posted i see this...

H.264 HD ([email protected] up to 1080p)

that's what the current tegra 2 supports and is definitely NOT up to blu-ray spec. In fact blu-rays can be up to L5.1 There is also a note at the bottom about some h.264 bitrates and formats being incompatible.

again this is not an attack, if I misread something I apologize.

OH and of course it only plays vc-1 in WMV so about 1/3 of all blu-rays wouldn;t work even if it did play high profile h.264 L5.1

basically as far as I can tell this has about the same video playback specs as most of the tegra 2 honeycomb tablets, not talking containers, without a doubt archos supports more video containers than any other device without 3rd part applications.
Well one thing we now agree (maybe) is that the new Gen 9 Archos CAN play Full HD Video, because in your first post you complained that quote "Gen 9 is just a 720p tablet" unquote.

But I see now that you agree that Gen 9 is indeed a 1020p or Full HD tablet. Anyway lets say we have had a good chat about Gen 9 tablets, and now agree to disagree on some Gen 9 facts. Now lets wait for the real deal to become available then we chat more about the pros and cons of Gen 9. You agree on this?

Cheers!
gottahavit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gottahavit »

actually i'm not saying anything since the tablet doesn't exist however the specs you pointed too say it wont play full bluray hd. it will only play h.264 l.3.1, bluray requires up to l5.1. the gen 9 specs are basically the same as a tegra2.

and the gen 9 is a "720p" tablet. the resolution is 1280X800 which makes it a 720p tablet and why IF you can't play full spec non re-encoded bluray you're better off re-encoding to 720p.
my02vr6
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by my02vr6 »

I am also very happy with my A70, but isn't this the wrong place to be talking about Gen9 Archos? There is already a Gen 9 forum.
I'm gonig to be in Germany on 2 Sep, maybe I'll drag my brother to Berlin to go to this electronics fair and check these out. I'm intrigued about full Google support finally, and the 1.5 ghz dual cores. Also, I've played 720p videos (ripped TV shows) and they played beautifully, no "green squares" or glitching at all. Played very smooth, I was impressed. Oh, and it was played on the stock video player. I have never used a different video player on my 70, I'm very happy with the OEM one.
Archos wrote: Video Playback1
ÔÇó MPEG-4 HD (up to 1080p)
ÔÇó MPEG-42 ([email protected] AVI, up to DVD resolution)
ÔÇó H.264 HD ([email protected], up to 1080p)
ÔÇó WMV9/VC1 (AP up to 1080p)

With optional plug-in:
ÔÇó Cinema: MPEG2 (up to DVD resolution MP/D1)
With the above codecs, the device can play video files with the following extensions: AVI, MP4, MOV, 3GP, MPG, PS, TS, VOB, MKV, FLV, RM, RMVB, ASF, WMV

Webcam
ÔÇó 720p front camera with 720p encoding
Miscellaneous
ÔÇó Built-in GPS
A7-160gb/A7o-8gb
gottahavit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gottahavit »

no question the gen 8 plays 720p just fine as do the tegra2 devices with 3.1.

however bluray is h.264 l5.1 at 1080p or vc-1 at 1080p. reading specs neither of these will play on gen 9. thats the only point i'm trying to make. too many people here throw around vague statemments about thing like this and then others make assumptions based on them and buy something that doesnt do what they want or dont buy something because they heard it wouldn't work.
ponghclub
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ponghclub »

I have A70it and happy with it except user interface on 'swith to tv' in my opinion i think it lousy......gen9 change all that...hope gen9 is good as they say. ;)
Mr_Archos
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Mr_Archos »

gottahavit wrote:no question the gen 8 plays 720p just fine as do the tegra2 devices with 3.1.

however bluray is h.264 l5.1 at 1080p or vc-1 at 1080p. reading specs neither of these will play on gen 9. thats the only point i'm trying to make. too many people here throw around vague statemments about thing like this and then others make assumptions based on them and buy something that doesnt do what they want or dont buy something because they heard it wouldn't work.
Gosh when is Full HD not Full HD?

After ripping and recoding several Blu Rays to MKV HD with H.264/AVC codec, my video utility (Mediainfo) confirms that all my MKV HD recodes are all 1080p but are High [email protected] We all know that any video file that has a resolution of 1080p is a Full HD video file not a 720p video file.

Yes Blu Ray is [email protected] and mine is [email protected]

Here is my question, just because my video recodes are [email protected] and not [email protected] does this suddenly mean that my recodes that are 1080p are not Full HD.

How can a MKV HD video with a resolution of 1080p not be Full HD unless it is [email protected]????

Am scratching my head here.....aaaarrggghhh!!!

Can anyone explain to me??
Last edited by Mr_Archos on Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my02vr6
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by my02vr6 »

ponghclub wrote:I have A70it and happy with it except user interface on 'swith to tv' in my opinion i think it lousy......gen9 change all that...hope gen9 is good as they say. ;)
Works fine for me :?
A7-160gb/A7o-8gb

Return to “General G9 discussions”