Rooted eclair custom roms for A7HT V2: version 2011.18

Rockchip RK2818 based
peyob
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Rooted custom roms for A7HT Version 2: version 2011.06

Post by peyob »

I've erased all files in data/dalvik-cache.
I've off/on my tablet.
The boot was very long (5 minutes).
But market's download is always broken! :(
hvdwolf
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by hvdwolf »

I did see another post that dealt with the exactly the same.
So what I did was the following.
/cache is a partition on your Archos. It was 200MB or 160MB in size (I can't remember) and I had 99MB free (busybox df -h) and a non functional market.
I used the overmount "trick". I first stopped the market process and the download service.
I did in a (rooted) terminal the following:

Code: Select all

# rm -rf /cache/*
# mkdir /sdcard/cache      (created a cache folder on the 6.5 GB internal memory)
# busybox mount -o bind /sdcard/cache /cache (for the OS from now the /cache => /sdcard/cache)
# chmod 777 /sdcard/cache (read-write-executable for everyone)

When I now check free space on my /cache, it has 6.5 GB free (same as internal memory), so no issue anymore.

Market still doesn't work even though it has huge amounts of free caching space.
I will check this a little further this weekend in a rom and make it part of the boot script so that it gets executed before any other application could be started.
hvdwolf
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by hvdwolf »

A disappointing status update.

hvdwolf wrote:I did see another post that dealt with the exactly the same.
So what I did was the following.
/cache is a partition on your Archos. It was 200MB or 160MB in size (I can't remember) and I had 99MB free (busybox df -h) and a non functional market.
I used the overmount "trick". I first stopped the market process and the download service.
I did in a (rooted) terminal the following:

Code: Select all

# rm -rf /cache/*
# mkdir /sdcard/cache      (created a cache folder on the 6.5 GB internal memory)
# busybox mount -o bind /sdcard/cache /cache (for the OS from now the /cache => /sdcard/cache)
# chmod 777 /sdcard/cache (read-write-executable for everyone)

When I now check free space on my /cache, it has 6.5 GB free (same as internal memory), so no issue anymore.

Market still doesn't work even though it has huge amounts of free caching space.
I will check this a little further this weekend in a rom and make it part of the boot script so that it gets executed before any other application could be started.

I did exacly this in a rom, but not to /sdcard/cache but to /data/cache as /sdcard is a vfat partition and /data is an ext3 partition like /cache is/was.
/data has 500 MB which is sufficient.

However, after some time the market stopped working again
peyob
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by peyob »

hvdwolf look at https://market.android.com/account and click on "settings".
There, you can see what mobile is registered in your account.
For me, I find a MID-7AD tablet that I tried in the beginning of the year. But nothing about Archos 7ht.
In the right way, when you connect your google account from the tablet, and go to the market, the tablet (or the phone) is automatically registered.
I search in google help: many people have a problem with this but no solution.
What do you think about this? Is this may be the reason for market trouble?
Do you know, in the firmware if the tablet ident is somewhere? If the ident is in, perhaps changing its is the solution?
hvdwolf
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by hvdwolf »

peyob wrote:hvdwolf look at https://market.android.com/account and click on "settings".

What do you think about this? Is this may be the reason for market trouble?

The web market and the android market are two different "things". The market application on the A7 stops after a certain time. A lot of tablet and phone users suffer from this issue.

The web market is steered by the android browser which reads the build properties of your "phone".
ro.product.model=A70BHT
ro.product.brand=rockchip
ro.product.name=Archos7
ro.product.device=Archos7

Some weeks ago I found a post on how to change this on run-time to "fool" the market as the market also shows you different applications based on the model (95% is simple android though). Some applications are only for the Samsung Galaxy for example and aren't displayed for other phones even though they might run on these phones as well. It is the same that you can't find Gmail in your Android market application but you can via the webmarket.

However, I can't find that "change on runtime" post back. I can't set another "phone" in the update.img as the the A7 sees that the firmware is in that case not for the A7, but for a HTC hero or so.

The quest goes on.

EDIT: I was incorrect: It does not read the build.prop but somehow it does get the characteristics of your "phone".
Last edited by hvdwolf on Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peyob
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by peyob »

Ok, but when I go to "market.android.com" with my tablet browser, the Archos tablet isn't in settings: always only MID-7AD tablet that I tried in the beginning of the year.
Why my Archos tablet isn't in settings (user agent is android)?
huib
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by huib »

i was thinking in the same direction, so i created a new account on my archos.
The market is still not downloading but there are also no devices registered for the market, and i can not figure out how to register a device to my account.
the HELP in het web market brings no solution.

What i want to know... is there a way ( of do you know the place ) to restore already installed APK's from the tablet to another location ( to store for future use as backup )

huib
peyob
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by peyob »

The better way with a rooted tablet is to use MyBackup. You can backup Apks with datas. Don't forget to copy backup files to removable sdcard or pc (from sdcard/rerware)
huib
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by huib »

I have found a way to extract APK's from already installed applications with AppBackupReinstall.

Now i can download a program with my phone (samsung galaxy s) from the android market , extract the APK, transfer it to the Archos 7HT ( in my cast i use my NAS and Andftp on both my phone and my HT, but you can also transfer it with a computer ) and install it there.
i have tried it with the application "kenteken opzoeken" (it's a program for dutch car-information from the license plate) bescause there was an nessesary update and that program is functioning again.

For the time being this work around is a resonable solution.

oh... the AppBackupReinstall is availably in both Appslib and Market.
gaiter
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by gaiter »

Nice for you having another Android device... I'm sticking to appslib and based upon the reviewthread I'm now using slide-me.
Am following this topic closely however. Good luck on the search for Google market!
andrewjhead
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by andrewjhead »

I've installed your most recent rom with great success. I too of course encountered the eventual market time out. Like some, I have another 2.1 android device to pull apps from.

I eagerly await the solution! I'm enjoying the ability to do live backgrounds. Even if they are a hog...

Thanks!

Andrew.
peyob
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by peyob »

huib
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by huib »

I had a problem with the custom rom because Aldiko book reader sometimes is frozen.
another anoying thing is that in suspend the device is powering up every 5 minutes or so, costing a lot of standby power.
i 2x had to use the reset hole.

So i installed the official rom.
Problem with that is tweetdeck won't install.
so i take a ridgid step and formatted the archos. ( first copied the complete folders offcourse )
installed the custom rom and installed my applications again.
Tweetdeck installed normaly so for that only the custom rom will do.

The Aldiko bookreader isn't frozen up ever sinds, but the device is still powering up every 5 minutes in suspend ( Switch slided to lock )
Do someone have any idea to trigger that problem?
peyob
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by peyob »

I've the same trouble. I think that a soft wake up the tablet to do something.
hvdwolf
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by hvdwolf »

peyob wrote:I've the same trouble. I think that a soft wake up the tablet to do something.

I have not completely analyzed the issue (so much things to discover and analyze), but I think the Google locations is the "evil doer".
If you allow Google to use your wifi to locate where you are, it will do the location checks every now and then, also when it's in sleep mode.
Also check which widgets you have on your screen: some widgets, like the youtube widget belonging to the youtube.apk, also keep requesting info every now and then. Also when your tablet is at sleep.
hvdwolf
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by hvdwolf »

peyob wrote:hvdwolf, what do you think about this:
http://code.google.com/p/android-market-api-php/wiki/HowToGetDeviceID

I have seen likewise posts but it's much easier to get that id.

My first or second post on this forum described the use of the Android system Info tool to show some info on the A7HTV2. That tool displays my Android ID as "200143804023dcab"
I also incorporated Quick System Info Pro in the last few roms. In the "View Properties" section, under "Secure settings" it also displays the same Android ID.

Again: I have seen likewise posts but it's not clear to me what to do with this Android ID
peyob
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by peyob »

my Android ID is also "200143804023dcab"
jack21843
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jack21843 »

HOW DO I INSTALL FIRMWARE W/ MARKET?
JUST HOOK UP TO COMPUTER AND DRAG INTO A7HT?
lopac42
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by lopac42 »

jack21843 wrote:HOW DO I INSTALL FIRMWARE W/ MARKET?
JUST HOOK UP TO COMPUTER AND DRAG INTO A7HT?

Yes place the image in the root off the archos .then when you disconnect the process will be started .don.t forget to connect it to the power
huib
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by huib »

With the same custom rom my android ID is Displayed onder "secure Settings" in quick system info pro : Android_id=ba171423
With this fresh installed version i have not accessed the android market yet... mayby the id will change after a visit to the android market?

to be continued

Return to “Archos 7 Home Tablet v2”