Rooted eclair custom roms for A7HT V2: version 2011.18

Rockchip RK2818 based
Gmain
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Rooted custom roms for A7HT Version 2: version 2011.06

Post by Gmain »

I know what these people mean by "things randomly downloading". I also had this problem: when using the appmarket, random programs (that i never even looked at or I don't even know about) start to download, this is visible in the notification area. The result: all these randomly downloaded programs end in: "download unsuccesful". Maybe this causes the market to clog up, resulting in not being able to download any app at all.
peyob
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by peyob »

Exactly this.
hvdwolf
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by hvdwolf »

Gmain wrote:I know what these people mean by "things randomly downloading". I also had this problem: when using the appmarket,

Not anymore? Did you change something?
Gmain
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Gmain »

No, i did not change anything. I actually switched back to the official firmware for now. In the meantime I'm searching the internet for possible solutions for this problem, still without succes.

Hvdwolf, is it possible for you to upload a 2011.06 custom firmware without android market already installed? Maybe we could test different android market versions. If there is a correct market version for this device out there, this may be the fastest way to find it.
lopac42
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by lopac42 »

Over here the random download has stopped and so has the googlemarket . So it has something to do with the random downloads .
gaiter
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by gaiter »

Hi, best rom so far, thanks h. for leading us on this quest for a better still underestimated tablet.
About the market, its like the moment i start using it, it starts giving feeback for another user's downloads, what leads me to think that some of your? user data is still in one of the (read only?) files, but of course it's just a hunch.
Some apps managed to get downloaded anyway, just to discover the 'downside' of open source: incompatibility... ;)
hvdwolf
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by hvdwolf »

Gmain wrote:is it possible for you to upload a 2011.06 custom firmware without android market already installed? Maybe we could test different android market versions. If there is a correct market version for this device out there, this may be the fastest way to find it.

It is very simple to build one without the market. I'm afraid though that your alternative search for a market application will not be successfull. I have already tried over more than 25 different versions, also from other tablets and phones.

Secondly: market can't be installed the normal way like any other application. Some programmers are able to break this behavior, like in the Gapps4Archos or the gAppsInstaller. These don't work on the A7 though. If you can't break it, you have to install is as a system application like I did for the A7HTV2 as the system partition is read only. Himself solved this in his yar roms by making the system partition read-write. I don't want to go that way yet. It's really an 2.1 issue occuring on many, many other devices.

Note though that I don't say it isn't possible. I simply can't make it work and by now I think I know a little about it. Off course I hope someone better proofs that I'm wrong. (Please proof that I'm wrong).

I added the 2011.06_NOmarket rom. Check the first post of this thread. I hope you are succesful, then we all benefit.

gaiter wrote:About the market, its like the moment i start using it, it starts giving feeback for another user's downloads, what leads me to think that some of your? user data is still in one of the (read only?) files, but of course it's just a hunch.
Some apps managed to get downloaded anyway, just to discover the 'downside' of open source: incompatibility... ;)

There is no user data from me or any other builder/user inside the rom. I use a script that always starts from a clean update.img (now the 1.0.1 version) and copy the applications and other stuff in. It's not even possible to add user data the way the Archos tablets are configured. The data partition (NOT the 6.5-8 GB internal storage memory) is created on flashing. It would require me to really, purposely, change the way it boots to be able to add user data afterwards. It can't be added by adding beforehand to the update.img.

And yes: not every application in the market runs on the A7HT. What's more: not even all applications in the Archos appslib runs on the A7HT or A8HT. They are for the line of the 34/43/70/101 IT devices.
Gmain
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Gmain »

Hvdwolf, here is an app you can include in your next rom.

The latest youtube app: this one is actually for android 2.2, but it has been ported to eclair. (it works great)
you can find the download link here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=817528

***For those who want to install this youtube version, have to uninstall the old version before installing the new one***
peyob
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by peyob »

hvdwolf wrote:market can't be installed the normal way like any other application. Some programmers are able to break this behavior, like in the Gapps4Archos or the gAppsInstaller. These don't work on the A7 though. If you can't break it, you have to install is as a system application like I did for the A7HTV2 as the system partition is read only. Himself solved this in his yar roms by making the system partition read-write. I don't want to go that way yet. It's really an 2.1 issue occuring on many, many other devices.

Can you create a special custom ROM root with the system partition read-write?
hvdwolf
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by hvdwolf »

peyob wrote:Can you create a special custom ROM root with the system partition read-write?

Yes, I could do that but it requires quite some testing and work from my side. It is on my ToDo list, but not for the near future. (Also because I'm the OSX maintainer of a couple of Open Source packages like Hugin for example. My free time is spread (thin) over multiple subjects)
The point is that I'd like to investigate other routes first, simply because the market issue occurs a lot on many phones and tablets, also that have the system partition read-writable. There are also tools in the market like mcleaner and rooted cache cleaner that are created to fix this failing market functionality. By now I tried these two (unsuccesful) and also a handfull of other tools that didn't work either. I also tried with self-created shell scripts that remove all kind of data on root/superuser level. Nothing works so far. Note that Himself's yar roms do have a read-writable system and there is a thread discussing this same issue (and also in Knightdominions custom rom).

It's something in the way the market works (or not works actually), not in the way android or the Archos works.
It's really weird that a company as big as Google can't solve this issue as it is so widespread on phones and tablets alike.
peyob
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by peyob »

Ok hvdwolf. Thanks for reply. I understand and I wait quietly.
huib
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by huib »

I have bought my Archos 7 Home Tablet V2 about a week ago at Dynabyte for Ôé¼149,-

Owning already an ipad and a Samsung Galaxy S my first impressions where disapointed.
The promised 800Mhz is far below the 1Ghz from the Galaxy S and the interface feels slow.
No Android Market, no decent gameplay and i was considering bringing it back.

On the Other hand... for 149 euro.. it 's 1/3 of the prise of the Ipad, So i want to give it a chance.

At first i bought it with firmware 1.0.0
Officialy updated with 1.0.1, but no changes.
Then used the Firmware from this thread, and it opened the Market for more than half an hour.
Just enough time to download the program's that i like.

Still no action gameplay, but for social media , card games etc. it will do.
Thanks very much for this Firmware !!
Hoping it wil soon be possible to acces the Android market perminent.

Huib
lopac42
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by lopac42 »

huib
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by huib »

lopac42 wrote:http://market.android.com/

the web market

Will this work on my archos? ( it's currently at home, while i am @work )
Then there is less need for the android market Application.

The Android Market is still working on my device but the download won't start.
Keep saying "Downloading" but no progress.

Gonna give it a try this evening.

huib
hvdwolf
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by hvdwolf »

huib wrote:

the web market

It was the first thing I read this morning. I didn't have my archos at hand either. As far as I understood it should work from every android device as it is now part of the Google conglomerate of web applications (gmail, picasa (photo), reader, etc).
LJui
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by LJui »

huib wrote:

the web market

Then there is less need for the android market Application.

The Android Market is still working on my device but the download won't start.
Keep saying "Downloading" but no progress.

Gonna give it a try this evening.

huib

Logged in to the site.. That went well, but when I want to install a app, nothing appears :(
By 'my market account' I see the device of my mother in law :p. I once logged in with her device on android market. But my archos is not in that list.

The android market app is faster than the website. So I'm still hoping wishing and waiting that someone cracked it :)
huib
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by huib »

At my device also.. Log in and try to download, it say's Samsung Galaxy S when i look for "my device" and nothing happens when i push download.
Well, let's wait for thesmart guy's figuring this out... :(
hvdwolf
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by hvdwolf »

I get "There are no android phones associated with this account. Please sign in with a different account." error.
I only have one account and already for a couple of years, but obviously I had to log in with a phone.

In 2 days already a long list of this same issue on many devices.
lopac42
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by lopac42 »

Over here i get the same message ,,,starting download,,,, as with the build in market. very strange because this is a web aplication and not an installed programm on the V2 .So the problem is something with google market not with the archos v2.
peyob
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by peyob »

hvdwolf: what you think about this (I read that here - http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Android+Market/thread?tid=142171cda9c1af44&hl=en) perhaps the reason of error download market:

Note: Found the problem. It's not a calculation error on the market's part, it's a lack of functionality and poor revision skills with whomever is in charge of Market features/size limits.

It seems the Android Market is looking at the /cache folder to determine whether or not to install an app, as it first needs to download the apk file to /cache and THEN execute the install. The problem is, when that /cache folder runs out of space, the market simply 'drops' the download with no error prompting, making you unable to download anything larger than your free /cache space, with no notification to the user as to why it won't download.

A few things SHOULD happen in the market instead:
1) you should be able to specify an alternate location for app downloading.. say..ohh the SD card!! Many phones I've seen only have 40-80 megs available to the cache, much less free when apps are also using it.
2) Developers can get around this by placing an 'installer' in the market, instead of the full app. It's obviously more work for them, but at least the installer will install properly, and then their own app can use the SD card for temporary space while it downloads the rest of the apps. Of course this means that the 15 min refund limit might run into more cases of "I can't even download in 15 minutes, much less refund your crappy app"

In my case the reason why the /cache was full was due to a ROM I was using which relocated the dalvik-cache to that location. I've since removed that modification, and now my /cache folder has about 120megs free.. plenty for any app in the market today.. i stress TODAY however as if google raises the limit again but doesn't change how the market works, older devices won't be able to download, not because the app is incompatible, but because the MARKET is.

Return to “Archos 7 Home Tablet v2”