Task manager with auto app kill

Discuss cool Apps for the Gen8 Tablets
KingMacca
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Task manager with auto app kill

Post by KingMacca »

I got an A70 250 yesterday and am already a little bit annoyed by having to free up memory all the time.

Can someone recommend me a better task manager or memory app that will kill apps I am not using automatically. I'd prefer it if the apps actually closed outright when I minimize them unless I marked them as allowed to stay in memory (like Dolphin).

Any app ideas folks?

ta
jfmcbrayer
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Task manager with auto app kill

Post by jfmcbrayer »

That's not really how memory works in Android. The operating system will kill off apps as needed based on what they're doing and how much memory is free. If the system doesn't believe you're low on memory, it will keep apps in memory (or keep only their startup activity in memory) so that they don't have to load from flash when you open them again. Automatic task killers interfere with this process, and so really don't help with performance. Instead, you'll get processes getting killed off, then starting up again because some other task is needing them, e.g. There's a FAQ here.

What I use, actually, is MinFreeManager. It requires root, but instead of killing off processes arbitrarily, it lets you tweak the parameters of Android's built-in memory management.
KingMacca
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Task manager with auto app kill

Post by KingMacca »

Thanks for the reply -it was really good :)

Funnily enough I had just been reading the android developer api notes about tasks and messaging so the link was very interesting as well as useful.

Return to “Gen8 Apps”