Facebook apps disappeared from Market?

Discuss cool Apps for the Gen8 Tablets
TheRealBubba
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Facebook apps disappeared from Market?

Post by TheRealBubba »

So I read that FB released a dedicated FB messaging app.

When I go looking for it I notice that the Android Market doesn't list my current FB app as being installed, and I can't find it or the messaging app in the market (unless I use the webbrowser).

I read that the new FB messaging app could optionally use location information, could it be that the FB apps are no longer gen8 compatible (due to GPS-lessness I assume) and therefore won't be installable via the market?
Harfainx

Re: Facebook apps disappeared from Market?

Post by Harfainx »

Checked for a Facebook messenger app on my phone (HTC EVO 3D) and returned no Facebook apps other than the normal one. Not sure what I should be searching, but I don't see anything.
TheRealBubba
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by TheRealBubba »

Harfainx wrote:Checked for a Facebook messenger app on my phone (HTC EVO 3D) and returned no Facebook apps other than the normal one. Not sure what I should be searching, but I don't see anything.
I don't see the normal one on my A43 or A70 anymore (or find it listed under 'my apps' in the Market app)

When I connect to the market using the browser I find "Facebook for Android" and through it, from the same developer (Facebook) I find "Facebook Messenger".
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

Well I just Google'd "Facebook Messenger .apk" and I found this page:
http://mobileplanet-waryam.blogspot.com ... d-apk.html

They definitely do have a dedicated messenger app, but I'm not sure why it isn't showing up on the market. Anyway, you can get the app there, it has three different download links. I would use the megaupload link (the last one) which I've pasted below.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OCN1AWZ3

I have no idea if this will work, or how well it will work. The only thing it says for requirements are "Android 2.2+" so we're good on that.
Overview: Facebook Messenger ÔÇö a faster way to message.
With Facebook Messenger, you can reach friends right on their phones, get and send messages fast, message everyone at once and more.

Top Features
- Message friends, groups of friends or anyone in your mobile contacts
- Map your location, find your friends and make plans on the go
- Get mobile notifications so you never miss a message
- Include photos so friends can see what you're doing
TheRealBubba
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by TheRealBubba »

Harfainx wrote: I have no idea if this will work, or how well it will work.
Seems to work fine, I skipped the install/config step where it wanted the phonenumber...

(I also found v 1.6.3 of the regular FB app through similar means, I believe that the FB app disappeared from the market between v 1.6.1 and 1.6.2)
TheRealBubba
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by TheRealBubba »

I see this BBC (h t t p : / / www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14474250) says the FB Messenger is a US only thing.

That might also explain why it doesn't appear in the market for me (but not why the regular FB app is gone).

Return to “Gen8 Apps”