Netflix App

Discuss cool Apps for the Gen8 Tablets
ubergrog
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Netflix App

Post by ubergrog »

mod57 wrote:You can make a copy of the original and replace it if you like or reedit it's only two lines. I haven't noticed any issues so far. As I said this requires root if you have been able to do that this is a simple enough way to enjoy Netflix for now.
Exactly what I did & it works. KEWL!

Archos A70S
Urukdroid 1.0
Flash 10.3
Canada
--
GROG!
60amp_relay
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Post Netflix android app?

Post by 60amp_relay »

Netflix is in the official Android Market now. No need to side-load it or anything, if you have the market app on your tablet.
mke1973
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mke1973 »

60amp_relay wrote:Netflix is in the official Android Market now. No need to side-load it or anything, if you have the market app on your tablet.
The Netflix .apk file is protected and you won't be able to download it with an unsupported device unless it's rooted and the build.prop file has been edited to mimic a supported device, like the HTC Vision. Even if you have a rooted device and get Netflix working, it's a huge memory hog--consuming almost 17MB. That coupled with the software you need to root the device, you may have memory problems if you have even a modest number of applications installed. Time to drop Archos and move to a device with better specs, especially memory available for apps. I truthfully think Archos has backed itself into a position that will see it loosing market share, its tablets have horrible specs but are way over priced for what they deliver.
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

mke1973 wrote:Even if you have a rooted device and get Netflix working, it's a huge memory hog--consuming almost 17MB. That coupled with the software you need to root the device, you may have memory problems if you have even a modest number of applications installed.
I don't understand your connecting low memory with rooting? You don't have to install any apps to root these devices.

Oh, and I have Netflix on my A101. My rooted A101 now looks like my HTC EVO to Netflix (I went with the Supersonic because that's what my phone is).
gottahavit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gottahavit »

working here on my 101 as well with uruk 1.1

It does work but with the wifi throughput issues of the 101 the video quality is terrible and the app is very slow. works MUCH better on my droid X.
mod57
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mod57 »

I don't have my gen8 this weekend my daughter stole it from me so I can't test this. :badgrin:

I have read in the following post that the device check disabled apk will work and wouldn't require root.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... ostcount=1

Worth a try if it works let us know.
ubergrog
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ubergrog »

mod57 wrote:I don't have my gen8 this weekend my daughter stole it from me so I can't test this. :badgrin:

I have read in the following post that the device check disabled apk will work and wouldn't require root.

Works for my A70S.
--
GROG!
mke1973
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mke1973 »

Harfainx wrote:
mke1973 wrote:Even if you have a rooted device and get Netflix working, it's a huge memory hog--consuming almost 17MB. That coupled with the software you need to root the device, you may have memory problems if you have even a modest number of applications installed.
I don't understand your connecting low memory with rooting? You don't have to install any apps to root these devices.

Oh, and I have Netflix on my A101. My rooted A101 now looks like my HTC EVO to Netflix (I went with the Supersonic because that's what my phone is).
Harfainx,

Please explain how you've rooted without dowloading and installing the Archos SDE (which requires storage and voids the warranty) along with one of the custom kernels available on the XDA Gen 8 forums or possibly using one of the software packages that temporarily root your device without voiding the warranty, like Archangel.
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

The SDE doesn't take any app space. It has nothing to do with having space problems for apps.

I use a custom kernel, for permanent root, not some app that eats up app space.

Also, the SDE doesn't void your hardware coverage on your warranty. If something doesn't work, they still replace it. It only voids your warranty if you install something that causes damage, like breaking your bootloader or something like that.
loganss
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by loganss »

Thanks to the Android hacker community root is not needed to watch Netflix on the A101IT (hopefully that's the case for all of the gen 8 line).

The link below contains a modified Netflix app that has device check disabled:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... p=13730649

Worked great for me! =D> =D> =D> =D>

Video quality seemed as good as my Wii Netflix. Occasionally the image is pixelated when it first starts streaming but after a few seconds it played great.

I've been waiting for this day ever since I got the 101. I even connected my a101 to my TV using netflix with ok results. The frame rate seemed to suffer a bit but not enough for me to not like it.

Seems like Netflix could have easily made this app available on more devices. The whole DRM and Qualcomm chip argument is complete and utter BS.
A101-8GB | N1
dlarkin_dc
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by dlarkin_dc »

loganss wrote:Thanks to the Android hacker community root is not needed to watch Netflix on the A101IT (hopefully that's the case for all of the gen 8 line).

The link below contains a modified Netflix app that has device check disabled:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... p=13730649

Worked great for me! =D> =D> =D> =D>
Thanks for the link, double thanks to the android community!!

Works fine on my A70.

The link in the XDA forum wouldn't download onto my A70, just kept getting a failed to download on the status bar. Used my PC then USB to tranfer the APK over. Installed it, ran it, logged into the Netflix and now watching Dr Who. The picture quality is great once the app has a good buffer and a handle on the data rate.

Suhweeet!

The break from Microsoft DRM is a big deal for Netflix. And I heard Youtube/Google was interested in buying Netflix... Maybe this is a sign of things to come.

I expect Netflix will be soliciting manufacturers to support the testing on devices... just business as usual.
Last edited by dlarkin_dc on Tue May 17, 2011 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
A70-IT 8Gb v6
RickingBall
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Netflix running on Archos 101!

Post by RickingBall »

It took some doing, but I got the new Netflix app to work on the Archos.

Key items to get there:

Install Flash Player 10.3
Update firmware
Use modified Netflix apk that disables the device check at install. You'll have to use google to get to the xda developers forum for that file.
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

Merged all the new Netflix app talk in the Gen8 sub-forum into this thread. No reason to have 3 threads for the same thing.
dlarkin_dc
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by dlarkin_dc »

Harfainx wrote:Merged all the new Netflix app talk in the Gen8 sub-forum into this thread. No reason to have 3 threads for the same thing.
NP - Makes sense. It took me a bit of looking around :roll: to track it down.
A70-IT 8Gb v6
pcrider
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by pcrider »

mod57 wrote:I don't have my gen8 this weekend my daughter stole it from me so I can't test this. :badgrin:

I got this working on my un-rooted A70-IT, but it took some doing:
1. Be sure that you uninstall any previous version you may have tried.
2. I was unable to download this APK directly from the link in the XDA-developers forum into the A70 - "Unsuccessful Download error"
3. Instead, download it from your PC and side load it using a SD card.
4. Install the apk from the SD Card.
5. Enjoy!

A70-IT, Firmware 2.3.26, Flash 10.3
Rose4uKY
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Rose4uKY »

Ok please make sure I got it right before I do this. I just got netflix on my phone HTC EVO and it's awesome. I decided to go to the marketplace on my Archos but it didn't come up. So I searched XDA found an APK and emailed to myself cause you can install apk's using gmail. Well before I did anything I thought to my self let me come here and see if anyone with the tablet actually got it working. And I am so glad I did cause I am not rooted and I see where you want the version with device check disabled. So I emailed the XDA link from my pc to my tablet but our archos doesn't have flash yet correct? My Archos said there was a firmware update last night but I am not sure what it updated. So my question is I need to go to marketplace on tablet and get flash correct? And then can I go to the XDA site and get apk or do I need to download it on PC like someone said then put it on my phones card. Usually I save an apk file to my desktop and email it to my gmail cause you can install apk's from gmail. So I was going to install it from gmail on my tablet. I just want to make sure I do it all right and that it works. I will be really excited.

I have the amazon app store on my tablet too and get the free app of the day and yesterday I got Flex T 9 keybaord and it has dragon dictation and it works so good on the Archos. I can speak my emails now and have a swype keyboard on the tablet. Slide it worked ok but was a demo. But Amazon gives you one free paid app every day and this works great. I had Google voice and it didn't work right on the tablet and slowed me down and kept messing up my tablet I had to uninstall it. But anyway I just want to make sure I get Netflix working and do it right.

Thanks, Rose
steveb625
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by steveb625 »

Just for fun I tried all 3 Netflix apks available from XDA. Had a small issue copying the files to my SD Card so I just popped the card into an adapter and copied them direct from my Ubuntu PC. I think the folder I created was bad and that was the problem.

The only apk that works on my A70 is the "device-disabled" one. Playing tv show Flashpoint right now, full screen, very well (all things considered). Next step is to try it on my A32.
SteveB
A9 Win7HP
A32 A70-8v6 UD1.6
Rose4uKY
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Rose4uKY »

So I need the disabled apk installed and flash 10.3? I just installed Flash 10.3 and I have the disabled apk file on my computer desktop. So can I email it to my gmail and install it from there or put it on the memory card and in what folder if I do that? Thanks!
gottahavit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gottahavit »

So I was very annoyed that the main app would no rotate to landscape and that I had to keep rotating back and forth to use the app.

SOOOO...... I brought it up in APK Edit and modified it to allow rotation in both playback and queue mode. I can now browse in landscape or watch in portrait, both modes appear to respond well to rotation even during playback.

I won't be posting the apk, but for those who are interested you can just install APK Edit, edit Androidmanifest.xml, and apply, then reinstall the apk.

here is the AndroidManifest.xml file with the changes for this who want to attempt. I make no promises, but it is working well on my 101.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest android:versionCode="102" android:versionName="1.2.0 build 819145-1.2.0-102" android:installLocation="auto" package="com.netflix.mediaclient"
  xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android">
    <application android:theme="@android:style/Theme.NoTitleBar" android:label="@string/app_name" android:icon="@drawable/icon" android:name="NetflixApplication" android:debuggable="false">
        <activity android:label="@string/app_name" android:name=".UIWebViewActivity" android:finishOnTaskLaunch="false" android:clearTaskOnLaunch="true" android:launchMode="singleTop" android:configChanges="keyboardHidden|orientation" android:alwaysRetainTaskState="true" android:allowTaskReparenting="true" android:windowSoftInputMode="stateVisible|adjustResize" android:noHistory="false">
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
                <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
            </intent-filter>
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.VIEW" />
                <category android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" />
                <category android:name="android.intent.category.BROWSABLE" />
                <data android:scheme="nflx" android:host="www.netflix.com" />
            </intent-filter>
        </activity>
        <activity android:theme="@android:style/Theme.NoTitleBar.Fullscreen" android:label="@string/app_name" android:name=".PlayerActivity" android:configChanges="orientation" android:noHistory="false" />
        <receiver android:label="@string/app_name" android:name=".receiver.NetworkMonitor">
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.net.conn.CONNECTIVITY_CHANGE" />
            </intent-filter>
        </receiver>
    </application>
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WAKE_LOCK" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_LOGS" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.GET_TASKS" />
    <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="8" />
</manifest>
Rose4uKY
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Rose4uKY »

I just deleted my post cause I was asking about it not rotating cause I thought mine wasn't rotating right but it does once you hit play so I am all good. This works great on my archos 10.1 I am really excited now. This forum is great!

Return to “Gen8 Apps”