Apps to be WARY of!

Discuss cool Apps for the Gen8 Tablets
viking
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1795
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 am
Location: Honolulu

Apps to be WARY of!

Post by viking »

Some apps seem to have dire side effects, even if they appear to be well behaving on the surface. Even if they are not invoked - just waking up on their own because you installed them long ago. Let's start a list of suspects.

EDIT: Here is a list of suspects, although numbers 1 and 3 seem mostly solved in latest firmware release
- Google Voice Search
- Dr. web antivirus
- SketchBook Mobile the paid App (the free one seems fine)
- Gallery (in certain modes)
- Finance (if automatic ticker isn't turned off in preferences)


One way to notice is that your archos gets very hot while doing practically nothing. The battery may click down a percent every dozen seconds or so while in overdrive mode. Go take a look in settings to see what is sucking battery. There are useful diagnostics under settings->applications->runningServices as well as settings->aboutDevice->batteryUse where you may find some app is surfing the web at your expense or in a nearly infinite loop.

I wonder if the firmware version 54 downclocked the chip to 80% not because of generic battery life extension but because certain rogue apps could bring gen8 to it's knees. Archos has every motivation to release the devices a full speed for marketing reasons, and I think the new firmware 71 option (not default) of going overdrive is recognition that you still may need to be vigilant for meltdowns even now.
Last edited by viking on Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
viking
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1795
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 am
Location: Honolulu

Re: Apps to be WARY of!

Post by viking »

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=867303 wrote:Voice Search works, but infamously badly (does some weird full screen thingy)
This google voice search appeared to work ok, then when not using it caused extreme havoc, freezeups, and meltdowns. Whatta relief when uninstalled.
viking wrote: Oops, I believe this sniffing into picassa has been killing my battery and heating up my a70 even when never invoking gallery. I uninstalled gallery and now I can run in overdrive mode without excessive heat and battery drain.

THE FOLLOWING APPS ARE EVIL on current gen8: google voice search, gallery with web search option set.
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
sillyrabbitt123
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 414
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Apps to be WARY of!

Post by sillyrabbitt123 »

Apps to be WARY of:

According to the WSJ 50% of them

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... technology
viking
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1795
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 am
Location: Honolulu

Re: Apps to be WARY of!

Post by viking »

sillyrabbitt123 wrote: According to the WSJ 50% of them
I hoped that we were spared SOME of that sneaky stuff because archos isn't a phone, although has wifi.

Of course there can be privacy warnings before download, and some are understandable since you are using a costly service for just ads. But I wonder about the consent that google market installer asked, and what happens if you don't give. I even thought about turning off some google actions in settings->applications->runningServices ... maybe someone can report what happens.

I did download the virus program under appslib, and it seems to keep active watch with not much overhead. I like the way appslib lets you test run things but keeps the uninstall buttons handy. But my apps black list above are for extreme cases. Besides voice search (google market's top listed free tool), the gallery baddie is part of the stock archos installation!
macemoneta wrote: There are lots of similar problem reports online with the Gallery across all Android platforms; it just doesn't seem to be a well written application. The only way people report that it works again is by a complete wipe and reinstall. It's the only application that I have that misbehaves this way. In addition, since the problem can be re-triggered, it's not worth the time to correct.
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
sillyrabbitt123
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 414
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Apps to be WARY of!

Post by sillyrabbitt123 »

I hear you. alot of this stuff is sneaky. most people dont even read anything and just checkmark off i agree and i dont blame them they want the tech functionality and its really no biggie if you are just being targeted to buy stuff and spend money but if it is more sinister now or down the road then that will
be a big problem.
kchengva
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:24 am

Dr Web Antivirus

Post by kchengva »

Before you read my post, please be caution and don't try to install Dr. web antivirus right away.

My A70 was almost totally dead after installed this app, not sure anyone else I had this problem.
Here is the story... I installed it and selected a quick scan from the menu, then A70 was halt. I won't be able to use any icon. I forced to reboot it many times and A70 frezon after loading full desktop screen. I can't get to uninstall icon and even I was in uninstall area the list apps won't be shown. I tried to connect usb the device and it won't get to mount point. After a few hours struggle, I had a chance to "System Monitor" and use "Stop all programs" for about 5 minutes. Finally I got to uninstall this app, and everything is back to normal as before. Just to share my two cents.

Let me know if anyone use this app no problem...thanks. yes, it's from google market.

I am on Firmware 2.0.71
viking
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1795
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 am
Location: Honolulu

Re: Dr Web Antivirus

Post by viking »

Thanks, that sounds similar to the voice seach app that I have been warning of. I wonder if our firmware should be protecting us from some of these freezeups.

Don't overlook the archos appslib which has a very well behaved anti virus program. I like the way it flashes an icon from time to time, so I really know when a download has finished, etc.
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
viking
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1795
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 am
Location: Honolulu

Re: Apps to be WARY of!

Post by viking »

kchengva wrote:Before you read my post, please be caution and don't try to install Dr. web antivirus right away.

My A70 was almost totally dead after installed this app, not sure anyone else I had this problem.
Here is the story... I installed it and selected a quick scan from the menu, then A70 was halt. I won't be able to use any icon. I forced to reboot it many times and A70 frezon after loading full desktop screen. I can't get to uninstall icon and even I was in uninstall area the list apps won't be shown. I tried to connect usb the device and it won't get to mount point. After a few hours struggle, I had a chance to "System Monitor" and use "Stop all programs" for about 5 minutes. Finally I got to uninstall this app, and everything is back to normal as before. Just to share my two cents.

Let me know if anyone use this app no problem...thanks. yes, it's from google market.

I am on Firmware 2.0.71
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
Harfainx
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1903
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:57 pm
Location: Nomad

Re: Apps to be WARY of!

Post by Harfainx »

Merged the Dr. Web Antivirus thread here.
CAD MAN
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:25 pm

Re: Apps to be WARY of!

Post by CAD MAN »

I have downloaded the Dr Web app and have the same issue as described above. With my Archos 43 freezing and being totally un responsive.

I am trying to get into system monitor and uninstall but not having any luck so far.

I feel terrible at the thought that I may have killed my new Archos.

Can anyone please help?
viking
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1795
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 am
Location: Honolulu

Re: Apps to be WARY of!

Post by viking »

Maybe you should try the reset by holding power button and volume up, which is described on the online manual in downloads section of archos.com .
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
CAD MAN
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:25 pm

Re: Apps to be WARY of!

Post by CAD MAN »

Viking. Thank you so much, I did not know about that feature.

I have reset the device and it has no fixed my problem. I owe you a beer buddy!!!
:D
viking
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1795
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 am
Location: Honolulu

Re: Apps to be WARY of!

Post by viking »

Using system monitor and other clues, I found an app called Finance (actually has 2 word name when you download, but I forget) constantly puffs on the wifi in background. It even outsmarted my Automatic Memory Manager app until I found a setting within Finance that turns off auto stock price refresh.

P.S. I updated the first post with a highlighted running list of suspect apps. Voice Search did not work again when I migrated to google market v-final.
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 5191
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:52 am
Location: Hanapepe, HI

Re: Apps to be WARY of!

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

Beware of SketchBook Mobile the paid App. It force closes on 2.0.71 with kenyu73's V5-final.

SketchBook Mobile Express the free App works fine.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
viking
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1795
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 am
Location: Honolulu

Re: Apps to be WARY of!

Post by viking »

The appslib version of Winds of Steel seems to scramble up the accelerator both within it and when you bring up your next game. Also it seems to suck incredible power - you can play it for 5 min out of an hour session, and the battery usage statistics show it as the overwhelming user.

The accel problem isn't the left-right, but up-down component. It is a flight simulator game. I don't post this in game forum in order to have a centralized place for suspect apps.
Last edited by viking on Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
gte105u
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:59 pm

Re: Apps to be WARY of!

Post by gte105u »

Not something to be wary of, but be aware of really. I installed AVG Virus Protection. It really bogs the machine down. Bigger issue is this morning I saw there were updates on the AppsLib for 2 apps. I went to download and install them, and it just would not work. I uninstalled AVG and they updated just fine. AVG is very wary of "3rd party apps" outside of the Market, and I think the extra scrutiny on them was locking it up.
A70 250GB|Acer A500|HTC Thunderbolt
viking
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1795
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 am
Location: Honolulu

Re: Apps to be WARY of!

Post by viking »

gte105u wrote:I installed AVG Virus Protection. It really bogs the machine down. Bigger issue is this morning I saw there were updates on the AppsLib for 2 apps. I went to download and install them, and it just would not work. I uninstalled AVG and they updated just fine. AVG is very wary of "3rd party apps" outside of the Market, and I think the extra scrutiny on them was locking it up.
Do you mean AVG AntiVirus? i love that app; it works very fast for me and has never complained about any download and I don't care if it ever does. I just like the way it clearly flags what is being downloaded or finishing better than android does. It did give me grief about a setting of mine allowing 3rd party apps downloads, but I just ignored it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the appslib problem was an independant one. Appslib has been crashing and limping along starting with the christmas rush, then the upgrade to version 2 appsib which meant everyone updated at once on probably a low budget archos server. Maybe antivirus had a role, but I bet it would have told you what it didn't like, and could be just a coincidence.

P.S. Apparently several of these apps only misbehave for some folks under some setups. For instance Allen P. seems to have voice search working fine for a long time.
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 5191
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:52 am
Location: Hanapepe, HI

Re: Apps to be WARY of!

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

Yo viking,

More realistic with Voice Search: It has worked for me, but I find it more annoying than helpful so I don't use it.

I think I found a way to turn it off but I use Google Search hardly at all and I don't remember the details.

For General Users, I would mention your caution before I mentioned my lack of problems.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
gte105u
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:59 pm

Re: Apps to be WARY of!

Post by gte105u »

viking wrote:
gte105u wrote:I installed AVG Virus Protection. It really bogs the machine down. Bigger issue is this morning I saw there were updates on the AppsLib for 2 apps. I went to download and install them, and it just would not work. I uninstalled AVG and they updated just fine. AVG is very wary of "3rd party apps" outside of the Market, and I think the extra scrutiny on them was locking it up.
Do you mean AVG AntiVirus? i love that app; it works very fast for me and has never complained about any download and I don't care if it ever does. I just like the way it clearly flags what is being downloaded or finishing better than android does. It did give me grief about a setting of mine allowing 3rd party apps downloads, but I just ignored it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the appslib problem was an independant one. Appslib has been crashing and limping along starting with the christmas rush, then the upgrade to version 2 appsib which meant everyone updated at once on probably a low budget archos server. Maybe antivirus had a role, but I bet it would have told you what it didn't like, and could be just a coincidence.

P.S. Apparently several of these apps only misbehave for some folks under some setups. For instance Allen P. seems to have voice search working fine for a long time.
I will probably give AVG another shot. I really liked the way it worked when I downloaded from the Market. But it would be very coincidental that I am able to download off the AppsLib, install AVG and the apps won't install, then uninstall AVG and the apps install again. Could have been my device just needed a reboot I guess. Also not that big of a deal to uninstall AVG and reinstall if needed. Thanks for the info that it works well for you, I may give it another shot.
A70 250GB|Acer A500|HTC Thunderbolt
viking
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1795
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 am
Location: Honolulu

Re: Apps to be WARY of!

Post by viking »

gte105u wrote: Also not that big of a deal to uninstall AVG and reinstall if needed. Thanks for the info that it works well for you, I may give it another shot.
I've got to confess I have switched to another virus checker Kinetoo for reasons of speed. It allows you to seperate checking the system from checking downloads, so that you do the first very infrequently and automatically do the latter. Holy moley, it takes forever to do the one time checks, but then doesn't bog down your archos on regular startups.
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
Post Reply

Return to “Gen8 Apps”