Recommendation for those with thousands of photos

Discuss cool Apps for the Gen8 Tablets
macemoneta
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Recommendation for those with thousands of photos

Post by macemoneta »

My Gallery app just FCs on start; it begins to show the small number of images I have, then closes. The problem started when I loaded about 5000 images onto the 101. Even though the photos are no longer there, it still FCs. I cleared the Gallery data and erased the '/sdcard/Android/data/com.cooliris.media' directory, but no dice.

There are lots of similar problem reports online with the Gallery across all Android platforms; it just doesn't seem to be a well written application. The only way people report that it works again is by a complete wipe and reinstall. It's the only application that I have that misbehaves this way. In addition, since the problem can be re-triggered, it's not worth the time to correct.

If you have thousands of photos as I do, I recommend 'Perfect Viewer'. While it's billed as a comic book viewer, comics are just zip'd or rar'd collections of images. Having the images in zip/rar files also prevents the system from trying to scan the images (better than using .nomedia files, since it doesn't have to be managed). In my case, it also reduced 5000 relatively small files to ~160 large files, which do much better on the flash (faster copies, easier organizing).
viking

Re: Recommendation for those with thousands of photos

Post by viking »

Great points. If anyone else has slideshow app suggestions not requiring a zip, I would like to hear.

The gallery app is temporarily working for me now, but has shown dysfunction and extreme slowness most of the time. Cool the way it can sniff out picassa photos, because that won't even work on my mac.
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
viking

Post by viking »

viking wrote:has shown dysfunction and extreme slowness most of the time. Cool the way it can sniff out picassa photos
Oops, I believe this sniffing into picassa has been killing my battery and heating up my a70 even when never invoking gallery. I uninstalled gallery and now I can run in overdrive mode without excessive heat and battery drain.

THE FOLLOWING APPS ARE EVIL on current gen8: google voice search, gallery with web search option set.
theyownus
Archos User
Archos User

Post by theyownus »

viking wrote:
viking wrote:has shown dysfunction and extreme slowness most of the time. Cool the way it can sniff out picassa photos
Oops, I believe this sniffing into picassa has been killing my battery and heating up my a70 even when never invoking gallery. I uninstalled gallery and now I can run in overdrive mode without excessive heat and battery drain.

THE FOLLOWING APPS ARE EVIL on current gen8: google voice search, gallery with web search option set.
under account sync settings you can turn off picassa sync.
viking

Post by viking »

theyownus wrote: under account sync settings you can turn off picassa sync.
Thanks, but I'm sure I did - that was the obvious thing. But still had the problem, and still didn't post a complaint here until at least one other person confirmed some kind of problem. I am only speculating it was picassa related. The (intermittant) problem is unfortunately real, regardless if it has anything to do with picassa.
Bobmcc81
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Bobmcc81 »

I had too many photos that I didn't want to load up on my Archos and plus every time I took new pictures I didn't want to load them to two drives.

I set up a UMB share to my pictures on my main desktop PC and now use file manager or photo frame to view them. It's a little slower talking over the network but works fine. Wifey loves it sitting on the coffee table scrolling through our whole 5 year collection of memories.

Bob

Return to “Gen8 Apps”