Gen8 Applications

Discuss cool Apps for the Gen8 Tablets
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Gen8 Applications

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

This topic is an evolving one which will feed into our Wiki.

What information would you like to see about Gen8 Applications here and in our Wiki?

I've already created a placeholder page, "Gen8 Applications" in our Wiki.

Thanks,

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
anurbanlegend
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Gen8 Applications

Post by anurbanlegend »

Think listing if the soft buttons interfere with an app would be nice to list.
photopaul65
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by photopaul65 »

Since I plan on being a Gen 8 owner after the silly season, I'd like to know what works and what doesn't with the current hardware. Experienced users can tell us newbies which apps are good, which ones are buggy and which ones just flat out blow. I for one would appreciate the info!
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

I'm thinking we should maybe have a forum section dedicated to Android apps. Should there be one named for example "Gen8 Android Apps" at the bottom of the Gen8 forum category under "Accessories for Gen8"?
drs
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by drs »

I agree with Charbax. In fact we may even want separate sections for groupings of apps (productivity, untilities, entertainment, etc). At least have games as a separate section. I'm sure it'll take on a life of its own.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

How about "Gen8 Android Apps and Games"?
viking

Post by viking »

AllenPapapetrou wrote: What information would you like to see about Gen8 Applications here and in our Wiki?
I would like to see info on how apps mesh in with a stock gen8. Like how to set up sleep timeout etc with a music or radio player (eg. pandora) so it doesn't suck your battery dry, or maybe even wake up with it.

More about the stock apps, and others that are tailored to gen8. For example why do slideshows work so weird for me and what is the downside of replacing the stock app.
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

Charbax wrote:I'm thinking we should maybe have a forum section dedicated to Android apps. Should there be one named for example "Gen8 Android Apps" at the bottom of the Gen8 forum category under "Accessories for Gen8"?
drs wrote: I agree with Charbax. In fact we may even want separate sections for groupings of apps (productivity, untilities, entertainment, etc). At least have games as a separate section. I'm sure it'll take on a life of its own.
Charbax wrote:How about "Gen8 Android Apps and Games"?
Aloha Y'all,

My comments...

Forum:
How about just an "Applications" subforum for now?

We don't need "Android Applications" because Android is the only type of applications the Gen8s run.

We don't need "Gen8" because "Applications" is a Gen8 subforum.

I would create the "Applications" subforum and see how many topics we have about games before adding a "Games" subforum. I would not put "Games" in the "Applications" subforum names because we all know that Games are Applications.

Wiki:
In the A5A days our "Applications" Wiki page was titled "List of Applications tested to work". For the 7HT I changed the title to "Archos 7HT List of Applications". For the Gen8s I've titled the placeholder page "Gen8 Applications"

In the year between the A5A and the Gen8s we have more Applications from more sources than we can possibly document in our Wiki. So I see our Gen8s Applications page contents kinda like this:
  • Table of Contents|Introduction with download guidance
    1. Bundled Apps - Mandatory Install Apps
    2. Third Party App - Optional Install Apps
    3. Popular Apps
    • 3.1 General
      3.2 App Managers
      3.3 eReaders
      3.4 Games
      3.x Launchers
      3.n And so on
    4. Resources:
    A list of various free and paid "repositories" or "markets" with links. Including: AppsLib, Curvefish, The Google Android Market, etc.
    5. See Also
    6. External References
One issue we have with the Gen8s is the screen size - 2.8 to 10.1 inches: Perhaps not all Apps will run well on all screen sizes. A second issue is the Android version: Some folks may stay at 2.1 for a while, most will be at 2.2, and Archos may give us 2.3 and 3+ some day.

I would like to have the format of each App entry allow links to individual "App" overview pages which show the App Demographics: Where to Get It, Category ("Games" for example),Developer Info, Bugs, Owner Reviews, etc.

I would name the individual Apps Wiki pages: "Gen8 App-App Name". For example: "Gen8 App-Angry Birds".

I would create a Model App Overview Page with a Help: page to make it easy for members to create new App Overview pages.

All for now... Comments, ideas, Suggestions :)

Allen

PS: I sold my iPad today, my A101 replaced it.
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
viking

Post by viking »

Here is an example of what info someone might want to pass on:

It appears that google voice search app starts out a friendly and handy app. Then it appears to take over and destablize everything... I guess it is listening in trying to make sense out of ambient noise. Anyway with my current software setup I had to uninstall then got fantastic peace and no need for reboot every minute.
Trix13
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Trix13 »

HOw about we reboot this thread and sticky it, for "Working" apps in Gen8
viking

Post by viking »

viking wrote: It appears that google voice search app starts out a friendly and handy app. Then it appears to take over and destablize everything...
Oh, sheesh... I had forgotton the xda instructions on installing marketplace warned about that.

DO NOT INSTALL VOICE SEARCH! The consequences are even worse than they warn.
lightshedder
Archos User
Archos User

Post by lightshedder »

Photoshop Express does not work on the Archos gen8s as it can not find the images.
fly_us
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by fly_us »

lightshedder wrote:Photoshop Express does not work on the Archos gen8s as it can not find the images.
Go to setting and change it from photo from camera to phone..
jasdjensen
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by jasdjensen »

There needs to be a sticky thread of apps that dont work properly on Gen 8 devices.

Like appname and version and description of issues in a maintained list.
viking

Post by viking »

You can start by bumping up my "apps to be WARY of" thread here. I could put a list of 3 or so apps in the first post if at least another person would bless it. I only posted apps that had at least 2 reports of trouble, but feel like I need a third report to be confident they arent working. Then there is the problem of seeing about unlisting them every firmware update.
viking

Post by viking »

Looks like this thread is all old news and might be unstickied, unless someone might follow up on the wiki proposal. I will try to make it more relevant by listing web versions of our major app resources:

http://appslib.com/applications/index.html
https://market.android.com/
tmc
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by tmc »

With the introduction of gen8 & froyo.. the compatability of apps is generally more INCLUSIVE than exclusive... and it goes without saying that is WHY Archos has a huge (for them) bump in market share to the point where they couldn't keep up with demand. That said, there are apps that will drive the Archos crazy, if not off a cliff (to the point where you might need to reset the firmware and/or apps/content stored on the device).

Big inclusiveness includes flash update (not just a flash player app, but full site flash). If you want to steer clear of bad apps, the appslib is a safe bet. Deciding to get apps from the marketplace or elsewhere does put users risk for malware bad apps or dangerous apps. A good rule of thumb is that an app with more than 250k downloads is not something like malware or virus laden bad stuff (excepting google voice recognition app).

My biggest pet peeve is apps which will not rotate on accelerometer (I like to flip the screen over so that the charging cord is on the top, rather than the bottom of the device so it doesn't accidentially pull out or recieve tension that will wear the micro usb slot).

Return to “Gen8 Apps”