Essential Apps for your Archos...Post yours

Discuss cool Apps for the Gen8 Tablets
tECHNGRO
Archos User
Archos User

Essential Apps for your Archos...Post yours

Post by tECHNGRO »

So. I have been much less talkative over the last 24 hours for obvious reasons (playing with my A70 of course). But now I would like to know what you guys have installed on your tablets. I have a Moto cliq with Android, so I just installed most of the apps that I had on that on my A70. Here are my "essential" apps.

1. Gapps4Archos (no explanation necessary)

2. Pulse Newsreader - this is a fantastic newsreader that allows you to download content for offline browsing. it includes support for Google Reader. I sync b4 I leave for work and read on the train.

3. Agenda Widget - The stock calendar widget is lacking, this gives you a lot more control over what you see while still being simple, and it looks nice.

4. NYCMate - This is the best NYC transportation map ever. It has bus and subway maps for every borough, and it is downloaded to your tablet, so you can use it without data. I use it in place of Google maps because the maps are that detailed. Hey, even if you don't live in NYC, you can still download this app and pretend like you do. :)

5. Advanced Task Killer - ATK s definitely essential if you want to keep your A70/A101 running smooth. It not only allows you to kill apps that are hogging your battery and cpu, but it also allows you to set a periodic timeframe to kill apps not being used.

6. Appbrain Market - Browsing the Android Market on my phone or A70 isn't always the easiest. Appbrain allows you to browse on your desktop, select apps to install, and then sync with your device. It's just makes everything that much easier. And you don't have to create a new account cause it uses your Google account.

My number 7 would be LauncherPro if I could get it to install on my A70. :)

So there you have it. Please post your own essential apps. I am especially looking for a text editor/office suite.
sillyrabbitt123
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Essential Apps for your Archos...Post yours

Post by sillyrabbitt123 »

team viewer
tune in radio
angry birds
dolphin hd browser
es strongs file explorer
sd rescan
kindle
Sylph
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Sylph »

Launcher pro install fine on A70, good luck on doing it on yours. :)
Thanks for mentioning it, I switched back to it (Tried it a while back and skipped it for some reason) and replaced my pandahome.

I like most of those mentioned apps, but I prefer advanced task manager than adv task killer. It also have batch uninstall of apps and other features.
logichoops
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by logichoops »

his is what i have on mine currently http://www.appbrain.com/user/logichoops/
Sylph
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Sylph »

May want to checkout wikidroid rather than quickpedia. Thanks for the list of apps.
Also, tried aldiko rather than fbreader? Seems to have better gui, and maybe more file support?
tECHNGRO
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tECHNGRO »

Sylph wrote:Launcher pro install fine on A70, good luck on doing it on yours. :)
Thanks for mentioning it, I switched back to it (Tried it a while back and skipped it for some reason) and replaced my pandahome.

I like most of those mentioned apps, but I prefer advanced task manager than adv task killer. It also have batch uninstall of apps and other features.
Thanks for the responses guys.

For some reason, some of the apps I want to install are not being "found" in the market. LauncherPro is one of those that I just can't install.
Sylph
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Sylph »

That's a common problem that require fixing. I just explained it in the thread titled "Missing apps in market, how to find?" near this thread.

I'll quote myself:
A solution was posted at some places here. It involves the following:

- Settings -> Apps -> manage applications -> Running -> Market
- Clear Cache
- Force Stop
- Back -> Google Service Framework
- Clear Data
- Force Stop
- Try running market. It should give you an error. That's fine and what it should do. Reboot the device

Protected apps will still be missing from the market, but the rest should hopefully be available for you.

This solution works for many people, including me.

Ah yeah, here's the video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l-nySib ... _embedded#!
bburnett1219
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bburnett1219 »

logichoops wrote:his is what i have on mine currently http://www.appbrain.com/user/logichoops/
Logichoops,
Did you upgrade to Froyo yet? I only ask because other people are complaining that after upgrading to Froyo that the fast web installer doesn't sync with Appbrain...

Thanks...
REAVER117
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by REAVER117 »

1. Google Apps
2. z4root
3. Launcherpro
4. LCD Density Changer
5. Dolphin Browser HD
6. SetCPU
7. nook
8. Kindle
9. Flash 10.1
10. Doubletwist
logichoops
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by logichoops »

bburnett1219 wrote:
logichoops wrote:his is what i have on mine currently http://www.appbrain.com/user/logichoops/
Logichoops,
Did you upgrade to Froyo yet? I only ask because other people are complaining that after upgrading to Froyo that the fast web installer doesn't sync with Appbrain...

Thanks...
fast webinstaller is not working for any 2.2 devices, this is no different
Sylph
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Sylph »

Yup, appbrain specifically said themselves that the marketplace update broke it permanently.
tECHNGRO
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tECHNGRO »

REAVER117 wrote:1. Google Apps
2. z4root
3. Launcherpro
4. LCD Density Changer
5. Dolphin Browser HD
6. SetCPU
7. nook
8. Kindle
9. Flash 10.1
10. Doubletwist
Funny, I used z4root last night to finally root my Cliq properly (I wanted to tether with my A70). But z4root doesn't provide a permanent root for the A70, right? I'd rather wait till there is a real root before messing around with it.

I still can't tether btw. I have tried everything, but it just pairs but won't connect with my phone. :(
REAVER117
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by REAVER117 »

z4root will only provide a temorary root. That's really all I need right now, just enough to use SetCPU and LCD Density Changer. I will be crossing my fingers for a Cyanogen ROM.
oic0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by oic0 »

Z4root - to use SetCPU
SetCPU - to clock the thing back up to stock
Gapps4Archos - no brainer
AppBrain Market - because the google market is poorly designed, much easier to find good apps in this interface
Launcher Pro - otherwise you cant fit enough on the screen to make use of its size
Flash 10.1 - self explanatory
Dolphin HD - good browser
Dolphin HD Bookmark Backup - update your firmware without it and youll be sorry!
Pocket Cloud - Great for controlling my HTPC from the couch and VNC beats the pants off of all those "remote" apps.
Pandora - Nice playlist without need of carrying around Mp3s
GVBA - beats the heck out of the other emulator option that wont let you save unless you pay....
Kindle App - night time reading with the backlight on super low is great.
bkgarrison
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by bkgarrison »

REAVER117 wrote:z4root will only provide a temorary root. That's really all I need right now, just enough to use SetCPU and LCD Density Changer. I will be crossing my fingers for a Cyanogen ROM.

What does the LCD Density changer allow you to do?

I realize it requires root, does it act like increasing the resolution on windows, making icons and such smaller?
rap
Archos User
Archos User

Post by rap »

These are my essential apps on my 43 (not updated to Froyo, waiting for the dust to settle first). I have a lot of others I'm trying out.

AppBrain - love managing my apps through this, Can search via PC and mark for later install. Also can create lists. I have a back up list of everything that is currently installed.
Swiftkey Keyboard
LauncherPro
Dolphin Browser
Facebook for Android
Patience Revisted Solitaire - I'm more addicted to solitaire than Angry birds.
Pocket Informant Pub Beta 2 - love this more full featured calendar
Astrid Task/Todo list - current task list of choice but not sure if I'll stick with this one.
Astro File Manager
Flashlight
Note Everything - this has support for importing my palm memos.
Contacts GroupU (free) - like that I can find my contacts by their group. Android doesn't handle contacts very well in my opinion.
ESPN ScoreCenter - gotta know the score of the Steelers Game!
Memo widget - to put text on home screen like the Bible verse I have to memorize this week.
IMDB
Droid48 - HP 48 Calculator - Powerful RPN caluclator. Not for your average user but I've had an HP48 since the year it first came out.

I haven't purchased any paid apps yet. Some of my first will be:
Tasker (automate about anything)
LauncherPro paid version (resize widgets,etc)
NIV Bible - Downloaded bible
REAVER117
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by REAVER117 »

bkgarrison wrote:
REAVER117 wrote:z4root will only provide a temorary root. That's really all I need right now, just enough to use SetCPU and LCD Density Changer. I will be crossing my fingers for a Cyanogen ROM.

I realize it requires root, does it act like increasing the resolution on windows, making icons and such smaller?
Yes, it basically zooms out by changing what the OS believes the dpi for the display is. The 70 feels a lot less like a giant phone and more like a tablet with a lower dpi.
MinionOfEckerd
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by MinionOfEckerd »

REAVER117 wrote:
bkgarrison wrote:

Yes, it basically zooms out by changing what the OS believes the dpi for the display is. The 70 feels a lot less like a giant phone and more like a tablet with a lower dpi.
What dpi does you have it set at? Found 90 to make the text way too small!
A70IT
zahne
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by zahne »

Skype-is there video chat on the wifi only version?
NYTimes-Read the news why not
Engadget
ACV-comic book reader
Twitter
ChrometoPhone-Anyone test it out?
Google voice
Need For Speed Shift-love raging thunder but NFS is way ahead!
Boxee remote

When it comes out Netflix.

Imagine the Netflix app with HDMi out to your TV! Hope it formats well.
Dession
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Dession »

zahne wrote:Skype-is there video chat on the wifi only version?
NYTimes-Read the news why not
Engadget
ACV-comic book reader
Twitter
ChrometoPhone-Anyone test it out?
Google voice
Need For Speed Shift-love raging thunder but NFS is way ahead!
Boxee remote

When it comes out Netflix.

Imagine the Netflix app with HDMi out to your TV! Hope it formats well.
I have ChromeToPhone on my Evo and my Archos, it would only go to my Evo. Maybe it's not made to go to two devices at once.

Return to “Gen8 Apps”