Linux on Archos 101

Open Development of Android, dual-booting other Linux OS and other hacks
leijae
Archos User
Archos User

Linux on Archos 101

Post by leijae »

We all know of the description of dual booting on the Archos.com site for the 101. Since there are no instructions on the site, I called tech support to get the ball rolling. They told me the download was here:

http://www.archos.com/support/support_t ... us&lang=en

under "Special Developer Edition Firmwares"

I downloaded the first package and loaded it to my tablet, when I tried to run it it gave me the message "Firmware is for older tablets" or something like that.

Has anyone else had any success dual booting into linux or windows?
blazingwolf
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Linux on Archos 101

Post by blazingwolf »

It's not out yet but I have read that it might be out on Monday. :)
Follow me on mytabletlife.com.
LiquidSky
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by LiquidSky »

blazingwolf wrote:It's not out yet but I have read that it might be out on Monday. :)
Is this going to be dual boot or a replacement to 2.2? I read that on the site it says it may be a replacement...
nz
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Post by nz »

LiquidSky wrote:
blazingwolf wrote:It's not out yet but I have read that it might be out on Monday. :)
Is this going to be dual boot or a replacement to 2.2? I read that on the site it says it may be a replacement...
its going to be dual boot and it will be out "real soon now"
Brownrat
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Brownrat »

awsome, thanks for that :0)
Archos 101 UrukDroid 0.7
LiquidSky
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by LiquidSky »

nz wrote:
LiquidSky wrote:
its going to be dual boot and it will be out "real soon now"

Awesome!! How will we know...is there a notification?
okz19
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by okz19 »

keep your eyes peeled for it ! it got updated monday, just waiting for them to put the link up now :) im waiting for it so i can run meego, dont forget tho there might be some incompatability issues and some things might not work, like WIFI !!!
LiquidSky
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by LiquidSky »

okz19 wrote:keep your eyes peeled for it ! it got updated monday, just waiting for them to put the link up now :) im waiting for it so i can run meego, dont forget tho there might be some incompatability issues and some things might not work, like WIFI !!!
Where would one look for said link on Archos.com?

Edit: never mind I found where it should be....kinda sux it voids the warranty....Heres what it says:

For ARCHOS Generation 8 devices only:
Important notices to be acknowledged before downloading and installing the SDE firmware:

Once the SDE firmware is installed on a device, this device will be watermarked and ARCHOS will be able to detect that this firmware has been installed once.
Installing the SDE firmware is considered by ARCHOS as a voiding of the warranty and ARCHOS declines all liability and responsibility for any issues resulting from the installation of this SDE firmware.
ARCHOS strongly advises that only experts in embedded software development should install this firmware.
This firmware is provided "as is" and is not supported by ARCHOS.

The SDE firmware MUST be installed using the recovery menu. The recovery is triggered by powering on the device while pressing the 'volume down' button (or 3 consecutive short press on the power button for the A28). In order to install the new firmware, the "Update firmware" option needs to be selected by navigating up and down the items with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons and then executing the selection with a short press on the power button. Once in this mode, the device can be connected to a PC and will act as a mass storage device where the .aos firmware file can be uploaded. Once this step is done, press on the power button again to launch the installation process.

Once the SDE firmware is installed, powering on the device while pressing the 'volume down' button will now trigger a "Boot Menu". This menu allows to select which Operating System is to be launched (Android, the newly installed Developer Edition or the Recovery System). If the device is powered on while pressing jointly the 'volume down' and the 'volume up' buttons, the Developer Edition will be launched. If the device is powered on without any other button pressed, Android will be launched.

Installing a new legacy (Android) ARCHOS firmware WILL NOT remove the SDE firmware. In order to uninstall the SDE, boot into the recovery using the Boot Menu, select "Developer Edition Menu", then "Uninstall Developer Edition".
LiquidSky
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by LiquidSky »

LiquidSky wrote:
okz19 wrote:keep your eyes peeled for it ! it got updated monday, just waiting for them to put the link up now :) im waiting for it so i can run meego, dont forget tho there might be some incompatability issues and some things might not work, like WIFI !!!
Where would one look for said link on Archos.com?

Edit: never mind I found where it should be....kinda sux it voids the warranty....Heres what it says:

For ARCHOS Generation 8 devices only:
Important notices to be acknowledged before downloading and installing the SDE firmware:

Once the SDE firmware is installed on a device, this device will be watermarked and ARCHOS will be able to detect that this firmware has been installed once.
Installing the SDE firmware is considered by ARCHOS as a voiding of the warranty and ARCHOS declines all liability and responsibility for any issues resulting from the installation of this SDE firmware.
ARCHOS strongly advises that only experts in embedded software development should install this firmware.
This firmware is provided "as is" and is not supported by ARCHOS.

The SDE firmware MUST be installed using the recovery menu. The recovery is triggered by powering on the device while pressing the 'volume down' button (or 3 consecutive short press on the power button for the A28). In order to install the new firmware, the "Update firmware" option needs to be selected by navigating up and down the items with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons and then executing the selection with a short press on the power button. Once in this mode, the device can be connected to a PC and will act as a mass storage device where the .aos firmware file can be uploaded. Once this step is done, press on the power button again to launch the installation process.

Once the SDE firmware is installed, powering on the device while pressing the 'volume down' button will now trigger a "Boot Menu". This menu allows to select which Operating System is to be launched (Android, the newly installed Developer Edition or the Recovery System). If the device is powered on while pressing jointly the 'volume down' and the 'volume up' buttons, the Developer Edition will be launched. If the device is powered on without any other button pressed, Android will be launched.

Installing a new legacy (Android) ARCHOS firmware WILL NOT remove the SDE firmware. In order to uninstall the SDE, boot into the recovery using the Boot Menu, select "Developer Edition Menu", then "Uninstall Developer Edition".
ok its up on the site to download!! Who wants to be first?!
EvolvedFire
Archos User
Archos User

Post by EvolvedFire »

done, booting it up atm, everything is upside down :/
LiquidSky
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by LiquidSky »

EvolvedFire wrote:done, booting it up atm, everything is upside down :/

Do you have any concern of voiding the warranty? Im am reluctant to boot this because it will void it...
leijae
Archos User
Archos User

Post by leijae »

installed the SDE... this distro absolutely horrible. Mini web browser doesn't work, the keyboard is tiny. i'm so unfamiliar with GPE anyway, but i'm sure there's a way to port some of the drivers over to GTK or KDE. I have finals this week, but I'll start working on either ubuntu nbr or linux mint(hardware limitations) on friday. i'll post progress regularly.
timmyd
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by timmyd »

leijae wrote:installed the SDE... this distro absolutely horrible. Mini web browser doesn't work, the keyboard is tiny. i'm so unfamiliar with GPE anyway, but i'm sure there's a way to port some of the drivers over to GTK or KDE. I have finals this week, but I'll start working on either ubuntu nbr or linux mint(hardware limitations) on friday. i'll post progress regularly.
=D> =D> =D>
hat off to u guys
keep us novice update.
leijae
Archos User
Archos User

Post by leijae »

here, made you guys a short vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvEtnmZ3_I0
bogart
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bogart »

Here someone intalled Ubuntu before the release of SDE (the VPN way).

http://www.android-hilfe.de/archos-70-f ... aeuft.html
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

bogart wrote:Here someone intalled Ubuntu before the release of SDE (the VPN way).

http://www.android-hilfe.de/archos-70-f ... aeuft.html
Is this a remote desktop way?
Unmensch
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Unmensch »

More or less, it installs Lubuntu local on the 101 and uses vnc to display the X11 output.
LiquidSky
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by LiquidSky »

Is there any way we can get instructions how to install ubuntu in english?
leijae
Archos User
Archos User

Post by leijae »

thats a really great vid, but it doesn't accomplish what, i think, the community wants. dual-boot linux/android.

the problem i'm running into is that I've got Unbuntu NBR on a stick and there's no way of running it on the Angstrom. I can find the files in file explorer, but the terminal isn't accepting any sudo commands. I'm just so unfamiliar with GPE... I'll do a little more research and see what we come up with... i may just need to start a new thread in the gen8 forum to generate more help with this.
bogart
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bogart »

leijae wrote:thats a really great vid, but it doesn't accomplish what, i think, the community wants. dual-boot linux/android.

the problem i'm running into is that I've got Unbuntu NBR on a stick and there's no way of running it on the Angstrom. I can find the files in file explorer, but the terminal isn't accepting any sudo commands. I'm just so unfamiliar with GPE... I'll do a little more research and see what we come up with... i may just need to start a new thread in the gen8 forum to generate more help with this.
Have you noticed that there is a root terminal (two programms left from the terminal application in angstrom)? Sudo is not nessessary, chroot works for example. Why do we need to boot from usb? Is the bootloader hidden? I really would like to boot another distro from sd (mmc). I
dont want to destroy the builtin flash memory.

How do you work with Angstrom at the moment? Do you use an usb keyboard or have you gotten wifi to work? Then a session over ssh would
be possible. At the moment i just can use this horrible onscreen keyboard.

Return to “Gen8 Hacking and Open Development”