Android upgrade for us?

10.1" capacitive, $269 for 8GB, $296 for 16GB, HDMI output, webcam...
shadango
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Android upgrade for us?

Post by shadango »

Any chance that Archos will port a newer version of Android to our 101 G8 tablets?

Or are we as far as we will go? I just bought my tablet a couple weeks back and wondering if I should have waited....

I see that in the G9 line they are releasing the new Gingerbread android os......fixes a lot of issues, like poor camera quality.
taylorabc
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Android upgrade for us?

Post by taylorabc »

G9 was stock on Honeycomb. I hope they arent going BACK to gingerbread...
shadango
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by shadango »

Sorry.....may have mixed up the names of the version.....

Anyways, the question is, is there any word whether we will move up from whatever we are on now (Froyo?? )

(As an aside, I hate the goofy naming conventions,.....too mac-ish for my taste. LOL....just give me good old fashioned 'versions"....1,2,3,4,5, etc ...LOL)
taylorabc
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by taylorabc »

As far as upgrades: VERY unlikely, at least officially. From the community, I wouldn't be surprised to see an Ice Cream sandwich rom, but definatly not Honeycomb.

The naming is quite simple. It's alphabetical, using dessert names.
Android 1.5 Cupcake
1.6 Donut
2.1 Eclair
2.2 Froyo
2.3 Gingerbread
3.0-3.2 Honeycomb
4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
shadango
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by shadango »

LOL...Yeah, I picked up on that......I still thinks its goofy.

Hurricanes i get why they do it.....Easier to track on maps etc.

But for versions of software? I mean come on...."ice cream freaking sandwich"????? Its just too silly...and too MAC...for me....LOL

That said, I would like to upgrade....to whatever ...from whatever we are now....froyo I guess?

(And what the crap is a "froyo"...LOL)
taylorabc
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by taylorabc »

FroYo is short for Frozen Yogurt. Most of us would like to upgrade too. When ICS comes out for us, I'm willing to bet that the Archos Official Firmware users number plummets.
Todd6677
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Todd6677 »

OK so I have been watching people complain about not having Gingerbread on thier tablet for months, but I have never seen anyone explain why it is so important to them.

Anyone?
frank
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by frank »

I haven't used the Cyanogenmod port of Gingerbread for our devices, but some reports seem to show better battery life and a generally smoother interface. Others say it lags more, so who knows...

I don't know that there's any features I'm itching for, but in general the user interface should be more mature. Same again for Ice Cream Sandwich (what an awful name for a version of software :)) There are folks working on GB, and soon hopefully ICS, over at XDA.
A70 8gb Urukdroid 1.6
Nexus 7
FZelle
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by FZelle »

It's not about GB or not, it is about some software ( like googletalk video ) that doesn't work with froyo.

And then there are security concerns.
Google fixes them in the newest builds, so "we" either have to backport them or get a running ICS
shadango
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by shadango »

Agree with Frank and FZelle

Windows 95 works "just fine" for some people....but many people want windows 7. (If you are a MAC person insert the appropriate OS names instead)

I am not usually a quick adopter of new OS, but in the case of the android, it is clearly evolving quickly every day and being on Froyo when there is ICS (3 newer versions) is like being on W95 except the advancements in Windows arent as rapidly coming as with Android.

I want to see the camera in my Archos 101 G8 work properly with various apps...etc.

Plus I guess there is the mental part of it....I went out and bought a brand new Archos (admitedly after doing almost no research) and then find there is not only a newer Archos, but also 3 revisions of the OS since mine. LOL

Just my two cents....

Return to “Archos 101 Internet Tablet”