Prevent Background processes??

10.1" capacitive, $269 for 8GB, $296 for 16GB, HDMI output, webcam...
donap
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Prevent Background processes??

Post by donap »

Another newbie question -- sorry.

Every time I turn on my Archos 101 (which I am loving), without doing anything, else I go to System Monitor...Every App (or almost) is started in Background. Somtimes I am using the Archos to read a Kindle book OFFLINE -- WIFI is Off or in Airplane mode -- and GOOGLE SEARCH is active in Background and the Browser is also active in Backgorund. THe Gallery (Photo), Music, etc apps are all also active in background (and I have NEVER used these apps yet since I have had the Tablet)....

Is there any way to STOP all these Apps from automatically Starting up ??

Thanks
donap
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Prevent Background processes??

Post by donap »

OK -- so this is just a guess on my part -- but if I delete the WIDGETS does that prevent those processes from starting up?

Just access them from the ALL APPS menu when I want them ?

Thanks
Todd6677
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Todd6677 »

There are apps in the appstore and marketplace that will help with this. Advanced task Killer is one that first comes to mind.

While they wont stop those apps from starting up, it will kill running programs that are not needed. Some dont like ATK, I use it and have had good results so far.
ChrisH
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ChrisH »

Apparently this is one of the wonders of Android ... loads up apps that you may use into the background, however this also seems to choke the system so it gets slower. I use Auto Memory Manager which seems to help, but somtimes I just go to System Monitor and manually end the unwanted apps....
8Gb Archos 101
adzman808
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by adzman808 »

the google stuff seems the be the biggest culprit of unwanted processes running... i nearly uninstalled maps as i was sick of it constantly looking for a location (& re-enabling location at the slightest provocation)

i use advanced task manager & i find this pretty effective for killing off process

you can make a 'kill all' desktop type shortcut

there's another i use that lets you specify with process/apps to prevent starting up, but i forget its name & my 101 is at home (i am at work)

i'll look what the apps is called & update the thread when i get home

(both apps are on the google market & are free)
adzman808
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by adzman808 »

the other app is called android assistant
gonemad
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gonemad »

don't use task killers.. the android os will kill apps when memory is needed.. and just because they show up in the list does not mean they are active

http://lifehacker.com/5650894/android-t ... t-use-them
ChrisH
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ChrisH »

gonemad wrote:don't use task killers.. the android os will kill apps when memory is needed.. and just because they show up in the list does not mean they are active
interesting article, it explains the process in an understandable way at last... I'm going to try Watchdog and see if I can find the apps that are using up resources rather than killing everything when it slows down. Thanks for that
8Gb Archos 101
ab77nl
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ab77nl »

The program you need is called "Autostarts" (root acces is required)

You can easily disable programs that are auto started after you reboot.
Not only you can disable the starts at boottime but also a lot actions that trigger apps startup and there is nothing running all the time that will consume memory or resources.
Helle
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Helle »

adzman808 wrote:the other app is called android assistant
android assistant is the best

Return to “Archos 101 Internet Tablet”