Happy Owner

10.1" capacitive, $269 for 8GB, $296 for 16GB, HDMI output, webcam...
racky
Archos User
Archos User
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:02 am

Re: Happy Owner

Post by racky »

ChrisH wrote:
Todd6677 wrote:I like my A101, but there are a few things I would really like to go away...


2. Seems like it wakes up awfully slow. I think this has something to do with VTL though because when I first boot up the icons are slightly off and I have to interact with it to get it to center back again. Drives me nuts!
I use VTL and don't have that problem with waking up slow. The off centre thing is common to other launchers - I used Zeam for a bit and that was the same though it doesn't bother me that much...

I also keep an eye on RAM and if it gets low so stuff slows down I kill all apps not needed. I did use AMM but didn't find it that good. Just wonder if that's why typing lags behind keyboard input? Don't really understand wht so many apps seem to start up in the background - definitely slows the machine down despite what I read about Android special memory management....
For the off center problem, all you have to do is to set the 1st page as the default page, it should solve that problem. It works for all launchers.
frankws
Archos Expert
Archos Expert
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:24 pm

Re: Happy Owner

Post by frankws »

ChrisH wrote:
taylorabc wrote:It's nice to hear of other happy owners. Like you, I have had very few problems with my 101. We're part of a minority, though. :?
I have mine for 6 months or so and no major concerns... we may be in the minority on this forum but that's because most people here are looking for help/answers with problems. For my use it's a great machine and has more or less replaced the laptop.
Stating that people came here looking for answers to problems is only your opinion.
If you have had no problems and the person who started this thread and others who posted in this thread had no problems then why did you come here?
I guess you are proving yourself wrong.
I had problems but they were only after I came here.
I came here to see how best to use my 101 by getting tips from other users.
I think you are totally wrong with that statement.
FZelle
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:07 pm

Re: Happy Owner

Post by FZelle »

No, you are wrong.
90% of the posts with problems started here are from people with less than 10 Posts, which states exactly what racky said.

We had this discussion on a Milestone forum, where the "majority" stated that they have a problem with xyz.
BUT in reality the count of people that really had that problem was 9 out of around 15.000 registered members.
But 8 of those made so much noise, that everybody thought he is lucky not to have this common thing.
And all 8 where newbees that just came there because they found exact "their problem" via google.

And you are one of the few that came without a problem, or should i say without a found problem.
Taysider
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: Dundee.Scotland

Re: Happy Owner

Post by Taysider »

I'm also a happy owner of the 101. One thing I have noticed is that on android market, having 2 android devices, as I do, (SGS & 101) it tells me if the app I what to install is OK for one or both devices. :D
whoisit
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:59 pm

Re: Happy Owner

Post by whoisit »

I've owned mine for 6 months and I think it's a great device for what it's probably supposed to be used for. Surfing the web, email, music, photo display, some apps and movies. It's really not a complete laptop replacement, close. It has it's issues as noted in many posts but they are minor in my experience as long as you close open programs to free memory and be a little carefull which apps you install. Mine is also not rooted and I've turned off the widgets and live wallpaper as this tablet dosen't have the ram to support it.
I've been using computers since they nearly been invented (I'm almost the USA speed limit in age,lol) and this tablet is impressive for the price and useability.
BTW, I'm about 50 yards away from the house on the 101 typing this...cool!!
Todd6677
Archos User
Archos User
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Re: Happy Owner

Post by Todd6677 »

racky wrote:
ChrisH wrote:
Todd6677 wrote:I like my A101, but there are a few things I would really like to go away...


2. Seems like it wakes up awfully slow. I think this has something to do with VTL though because when I first boot up the icons are slightly off and I have to interact with it to get it to center back again. Drives me nuts!
I use VTL and don't have that problem with waking up slow. The off centre thing is common to other launchers - I used Zeam for a bit and that was the same though it doesn't bother me that much...

I also keep an eye on RAM and if it gets low so stuff slows down I kill all apps not needed. I did use AMM but didn't find it that good. Just wonder if that's why typing lags behind keyboard input? Don't really understand wht so many apps seem to start up in the background - definitely slows the machine down despite what I read about Android special memory management....
For the off center problem, all you have to do is to set the 1st page as the default page, it should solve that problem. It works for all launchers.

Really? I've scoured the settings and can't see where you set the home page... I'll do some forum searching but if you could let me know that would be great!
racky
Archos User
Archos User
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:02 am

Re: Happy Owner

Post by racky »

I use Zeam, go to Preferences -----> Workspace ----> Default Screen--------> set it to 1 st screen-------> Ok. Go back to your screen, move your icons to the 1st page That's it.

For the other launchers, it should be more or less the same process.
Todd6677
Archos User
Archos User
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Re: Happy Owner

Post by Todd6677 »

Yeah racky it's weird... I see that it says preferences /default screen in the menu but when I click preferences there is nothing there regarding the default screen to change. :doubt:

Maybe it is just a VTL thing? I could always try Zeam I guess. I'm Just getting tired of having to reconfigure this thing! :x
ChrisH
Archos User
Archos User
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:20 pm
Location: Co Kerry, Ireland

Re: Happy Owner

Post by ChrisH »

I believe it's common to all launchers? I just started using the screen unlock pattern and strangely when the screen comes up it's centred properly... however disabled it again cos couldn't be bothered with it ;) but you could try that!
8Gb Archos 101
davecuk
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Happy Owner

Post by davecuk »

I'm happy and loving my 101.

Great deal from Carphone Warehouse for £150 delivered, found a faux leather case with built in Keyboard on Amazon for £8.99, works lovely with the Archos. Does everything I need it to do and more, plus it's got great battery life, easily doubled by using a cheap usb battery box from HK for £8 delivered and 4 18650 lithium cells for another £8 delivered. Total spent £175 and for that I have the equivalent of a netbook/almost laptop, with great movie playback and a massive battery life 20 hours surfing or 14 hours of video.

What a great device, just wish it had a full size SDHC card slot as well.
frankws
Archos Expert
Archos Expert
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:24 pm

Re: Happy Owner

Post by frankws »

FZelle wrote:No, you are wrong.
90% of the posts with problems started here are from people with less than 10 Posts, which states exactly what racky said.

We had this discussion on a Milestone forum, where the "majority" stated that they have a problem with xyz.
BUT in reality the count of people that really had that problem was 9 out of around 15.000 registered members.
But 8 of those made so much noise, that everybody thought he is lucky not to have this common thing.
And all 8 where newbees that just came there because they found exact "their problem" via google.

And you are one of the few that came without a problem, or should i say without a found problem.
So why did you come here?
What was your problem?
FZelle
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:07 pm

Re: Happy Owner

Post by FZelle »

My problem was that i puchased an A70S and because i'm in comunities longer then the (http)web exists, i just joined here.
Post Reply

Return to “Archos 101 Internet Tablet”